• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of tooth extraction tomorrow

T

Toothipegs

After a long period of various tooth pain, I finally have a tooth extraction in hospital tomorrow. However, I also have health anxiety, which lead to being terrified of some strange complication happening to me, or getting an infection or not waking up from the general anaesthetic etc. I'm just being silly, I'm sure but I'm so scared of dentists.

After a long period of various tooth pain, I finally have a tooth extraction in hospital tomorrow. However, I also have health anxiety, which lead to being terrified of some strange complication happening to me, or getting an infection or not waking up from the general anaesthetic etc. I'm just being silly, I'm sure but I'm so scared of dentists.

Hi! Firstly, let me say that I completely understand your fears and anxiety over the extraction-it's a big deal in one way! I too have dental and health anxiety and know exactly how my mind runs wild whenever I have to face similar issues. I imagine the worst case scenario that could happen etc

The thing is you are in very good hands, very safe hands too. They wouldn't give you GA if your health wasn't up to it, you will be absolutely fine?

Try to focus on how good it will feel to not have to worry over that tooth anymore, to not have the pain and anxiety that comes with it. From tomorrow, you are free of all the anxiety and pain of that tooth.
You are braver than you think because even though you are anxious about having this procedure, you're going ahead anyway-that's pretty courageous!
Please feel free to vent as much as you like on here and keep us updated! What time is your procedure going to happen?

Hi! Firstly, let me say that I completely understand your fears and anxiety over the extraction-it's a big deal in one way! I too have dental and health anxiety and know exactly how my mind runs wild whenever I have to face similar issues. I imagine the worst case scenario that could happen etc

The thing is you are in very good hands, very safe hands too. They wouldn't give you GA if your health wasn't up to it, you will be absolutely fine?

Try to focus on how good it will feel to not have to worry over that tooth anymore, to not have the pain and anxiety that comes with it. From tomorrow, you are free of all the anxiety and pain of that tooth.
You are braver than you think because even though you are anxious about having this procedure, you're going ahead anyway-that's pretty courageous!
Please feel free to vent as much as you like on here and keep us updated! What time is your procedure going to happen?

I go in tomorrow at 12:30pm, not sure when the actual procedure will be. I'll hopefully be out by the evening though.

I myself have the same phobia and anxiety. I have my lower left molar extracted a few weeks ago. I drove myself crazy and found this forum and everyone here helped me soo much. I had my just done by numbing and it over over in two minutes. Recovery I just counted down the data until I went back to get my stitches out and each day I said I did it and one more day of recovery. I am soo happy I finally did it because the anxiety from this tooth daily drove me crazy for two years! I just ignored it and wished it away but it only got worse. You will be soo proud of yourself after this believe me!! I still have to go back for a cleaning and xrays, I know I have some cavities on the inside of the tooth I had pulled so I will make sure to stay on top of my teeth now to not get to the point of losing them. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I go in tomorrow at 12:30pm, not sure when the actual procedure will be. I'll hopefully be out by the evening though.

I will be thinking of you and look forward to you letting us know how it all went.
Do try and get a good night's sleep, even though that might be hard; you will feel much better if you're not exhausted.
You're going to be fine, this time tomorrow you will be so relieved that this is all over with. ?

Did I also mention it'll be 6 teeth out?! That's what being afraid of dentists gets you I guess.

Did I also mention it'll be 6 teeth out?! That's what being afraid of dentists gets you I guess.

Oh ok, sorry I thought it was just one. But think of how improved your health and well-being will be! This is actually a good thing, and a great turning point for you! You are so able to cope with this!

You'll be fine :) I'm the same.. I have every anxiety going! Health anxiety.. I had agoraphobia at one point, which still plays a part whenever I have to be somewhere.. I have ibs so when I worry about things it sets that off.. then I get anxious about being away from home/my bathroom.. my medication for the ibs interacts with anesthetisic.. honestly I could go on!!

I've had several teeth out, the worrying before was probably worse tbh.
My husband had 5 teeth out under general and he was fine :)

I've had toothache for around two weeks, although there's never a time where a few days will pass without pain anyway.. so I know how consuming it can become, waking you up affecting your sleep leaving you tired, grumpy, run down.. which adds to the anxiety.. So I'd focus on the fact none of that will be an issue once the appointment is over with - how great a feeling that will be, how much of a relief it will be to not have them causing you problems x

You're honestly doing really well. Be proud of yourself. Good luck x

The deed is done! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although I felt disoriented and didn't know where I was when I woke up. I've pretty much spent the last 12 hours sleeping and eating jelly (and some ice cream a nice nurse found me!) and I have a really bad sore throat now. I'm also for some reason paranoid to break the blood clots off.

The deed is done! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although I felt disoriented and didn't know where I was when I woke up. I've pretty much spent the last 12 hours sleeping and eating jelly (and some ice cream a nice nurse found me!) and I have a really bad sore throat now. I'm also for some reason paranoid to break the blood clots off.

I'm so happy for you!! The thought is very often worse than the reality, especially when we are anxious and unsure about how we will cope. Jelly and ice cream sounds lovely, reminds me of being in British hospitals on several occasions, (I'm a Brit), I'm glad you're being taken care of?. The sore throat is presumably from the tube they put in your throat? That passes though, just be patient.
Do you mean you're scared of dry socket happening? I think many people are worried that that can happen but if it did, it's something that can be treated very quickly and easily.
I hope you are getting lots of rest and staying hydrated and just give yourself time to heal now. ?

I'm so happy for you!! The thought is very often worse than the reality, especially when we are anxious and unsure about how we will cope. Jelly and ice cream sounds lovely, reminds me of being in British hospitals on several occasions, (I'm a Brit), I'm glad you're being taken care of?. The sore throat is presumably from the tube they put in your throat? That passes though, just be patient.
Do you mean you're scared of dry socket happening? I think many people are worried that that can happen but if it did, it's something that can be treated very quickly and easily.
I hope you are getting lots of rest and staying hydrated and just give yourself time to heal now. ?

Thank you! Yes, British here too. Hopefully the sore throat will stop soon. Eating cold food helps, and I managed some cheesy mashed potatoes for dinner which made me feel a lot better. I've pretty much been sleeping for the last day or so as well.

Thank you! Yes, British here too. Hopefully the sore throat will stop soon. Eating cold food helps, and I managed some cheesy mashed potatoes for dinner which made me feel a lot better. I've pretty much been sleeping for the last day or so as well.

It sounds like you are doing so well! Great tip about eating cold food, anything that brings some relief until the sore throat calms down.
Enjoy the extra time to sleep and relax, your body needs to recover right now. ?

Back