• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terror about getting 4 impacted wizzies out in 48 HELP!

• Thread starter panicattackjenny
  • Start date
P

panicattackjenny

:o Help me I need support! I have been putting my wisdom teeth off since I was 18. I am now 26, and my dentist is now telling me the back ones are so decayed that if I don't do it soon I will be in pain. (I am not now.) So I sucked it up and set the apointment to get them removed on Friday at noon. They are going to IV sedation on me. I am okay with this, because if I am awake I will tear the arm off the dentist chair. I am terrifed of having molars broke and torn out of my head. I have been having panic attacks! I have never had these before, and I can not calm my self down. I am so terrified. I have not slept in 3 days. I know I need to get it done. All four are partly inpacted. I think I am making this worse than it needs to be. But I think I have stumbled on my first phobia. I had a child and was not this scared! PLEASE HELP! I need good stories!
Jenny

Last edited:
Hi panicattackjenny

I have been in exactly the same position as you, and one of the things that kept me sane was reading the success posts ...... even if most of them were read at 3am whilst crying my eyes out!

I came to the conclusion that all these people, all these phobics, can't be wrong. I am very pleased to say that I have now joined the group of phobics who can honestly say "it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be". If you like you can read my post '36 years of worry' where I have tried to explain everything to do with my extractions.

I can honestly say that I wish I had known before what I know now, I would have looked forward to living a painfree life years ago !

Deep breath, try and focus on something positive and remember there is nothing to fear except fear itself.

Look forward to hearing your success story :thumbsup:

I have had four wisdom teeth pulled (one impacted) and had no sedation for any of them.

Having teeth extracted is much easier than having a tooth cavity filled. Without a doubt.

I probably will need to have another tooth extracted next week, and truthfully, I have no concerns...yet.

If I had a root canal next week, then I would be more anxious.

The teeth breaking thing is overrated and hardly noticeable.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out that were impacted in october. It was very easy and no where near as bad as I thought. Heres my success story.

You can do it.

Thank you all for your support. Thanks for all the wonderful stories. This website has been my saving grace through this. I have been in tears looking surfing the web looking for stuff to calm me down. There are so many drama queens that tell such scary stories. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am so happy to see so many people on the web site tell me it was not even worth stressing about. I am still very scared, but have stopped my sobbing. :cry:. I hope to be posting a success story on friday. :thumbsup: . Thank you all for good stories, I had started to think after looking at google that all wisdom teeth stories where all bad. I imagine, I will be posting tomorrow, to vent my terror. Thank you all for listening and the support. It means more than you will ever know!:-* Please if anyone has anymore good stories it really helps me!

Last edited:
Many of our dental fears come from not knowing what will happen.

For me last September, I was petrified of the idea of getting my teeth pulled. Sleepless nights and the terror in the pit of my stomach. All because I had no clue what was going to be done.

I was shocked at how easy each came out. Mine were simple extractions this time.

Many years ago, I had an impacted one taken out, and truthfully, the actual procedure went great. And I had no sedation.

Oh, I suppose a link to a video showing how they take out wisdom teeth wouldn't be appreciated right now, huh? :o

Dental phobic humor. ;D

Yeah lets just avoid that one right now. My spouse will have to pry me off the ceiling like a cat if I saw that! What is good to watch is the you tube videos of people waking up from the drugs. Thats good stuff. That makes me feel good. I am going through waves of fine and then waves of TERROR! Never had fear like this in my life. Thank you for talking to me!:)

24 Hours to go want to cancle the apt! So scared I am shaking!

I know I have to do this, I feel sick to my stomic. I wish I could calm down.
Why the heck do have wisdom teeth. Any words of advice?

Re: 24 Hours to go want to cancle the apt! So scared I am shaking!

I know I have to do this, I feel sick to my stomic. I wish I could calm down.
Why the heck do have wisdom teeth. Any words of advice?

No, my wisdom teeth are out...I have no more wisdom. ;D

I can pretty much guarantee that you will be posting how easy it was. Focus on that.

I have to get my teeth cleaned in a few hours. Truthfully, I am quite calm about it. A year ago, I wouldn't even been able to be on this site.

If you cancel, then you will have to go through with it all over again. Yes, you will have a few panicky moments before it is done, but the relief you will feel with be such a wonderful feeling.

I know...I remember the same feelings that you have and the relief I felt afterward.

What is good to watch is the you tube videos of people waking up from the drugs. Thats good stuff. !:)

I still watch those sometimes for entertainment... they are so funny.:ROFLMAO:

I'm right where you are at right now........less than 24 hours to go until I get my 4 wizzies out too. I am really, really scared too but I know we will both be alright. At least 7 people told me today that by this time tomorrow, I will say "why did I worry so much"! I wish you the best of luck and hope we both have positive experiences to share very soon. Remember to breath and relax. At least that is what I am telling myself. :0)

24 hours and counting....

I am driving my husband crazy. I know this will all be better when it is over, but I am stressed! I have been crying, crying, crying. I cant believe I am having such a hard time with this. I love you all for your support and stories! Thank you. I hope I can sleep tonight. I have never been so freaked out!
:cry:. This time tomorrow the fear will be over! I will be done. it will be okay, it will be okay!:scared:

Re: 24 hours and counting....

:cry:. This time tomorrow the fear will be over! I will be done. it will be okay, it will be okay!:scared:

And what you need to do is focus on that thought. Feel the relief and happiness that you will feel then. View the actual appointment as simply a hurdle you must overcome to get to that relief and excitement.

I know what you feel now, and I know how you will feel when it is over. And I know what happens in between.

Truly it is not as bad as you think it will be. As you know, it IS all in your head...and I do not say that with anything but understanding and empathy.

You will be fine.

Focus on the feelings you know you will have. Do NOT think of what will happen in between because you don't really know, and because of that you imagine it to be worse than it actually will be.

So...FOCUS....RELIEF....HAPPINESS.

Hi, Jenny!
I hope your extractions went smooth (I'm sure they did). As everyone has said before me, having extractions done with IV sedation is a WONDERFUL THING!!!
You will feel like a new person! You will wonder why you were so scared since the procedure will go so smooth! You will feel SO GOOD about yourself that YOU finally did it, took charge of your fears and your dental health!!:jump:
Great job!! Congrats! :cheers:
Hope everything went well!!
:XXLhug:,
Jen

To everyone who talked me off my tree limb:
Thank you so much! It calmed me down so much the days before. The valium made me in such a stuper, that I got through the front door of the apt. This forum has been my saving grace. I told my surgen to recommend this to anyone suffering as I did. My Dr. was wonderful. They answered my questions for the 50th time, and gave me IV sedation. I woke up, during the procedure, but with no pain and they put me back under. Next thing I new the doctor said it went great! 30 minutes for 4 bony impacted teeth. The procedure was painless and I have no memory of it. The recovery is just mildly sore. I feel so good that the worry and panic is gone. I could not of done it without the support of everyone here! Thank you I am over my phobia now! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. :yay::hug2: That was my only real phobia, that is bad, I can deal with dentists, class 5 rapids, 8 foot snakes, I even have a pet spider! I have given birth! This was the worst fear I have ever had! So from the bottom of my heart thank you! THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I will now post my story on the success forum!
I love you all! I feel so stupid over the panic I had!:ROFLMAO:

Welcome to our side! :jump::jump:

Fantastic, well done :jump:

Isn't it wonderful on the other side!!

;D

Yes so wonderful to have it over. I am a sissy! I was never afraid of dentists, or needles, just getting surgury on my mouth. Excuss bad spelling, drugs... Thank you everyone! I think Mikeys story helped me the most! THANK YOU!

Yes so wonderful to have it over. I am a sissy! I was never afraid of dentists, or needles, just getting surgury on my mouth. Excuss bad spelling, drugs... Thank you everyone! I think Mikeys story helped me the most! THANK YOU!

Congrats on getting them out, and your welcome:cheers: