dariachick
Member
- Joined
- Aug 8, 2007
- Messages
- 25
- Location
- Seattle, WA, USA
![Hiding behind the sofa [smiley=hiding.gif] [smiley=hiding.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/hiding.gif)
oh... hi
my name is Dariachick and I am really really REALLY super scared of dentists.I finally got enough courage (ie was in enough pain) to see one about 1 year ago. at that appt I had to get 2 of my wisdom teeth pulled and 1 root canal. (by the way endodontist was super gentle and it barely hurt). Its now a year later and I kind of want to go back to the referring dentist for a general checkup/ cleaning...
but im scared...
kind of wish i could find a TARDIS to hide out in

(I'm a huge DR Who fan)
does anyone have any advice
Im scared hes going to lecture me and give me that dissapointed look, you know the one
(something like that just less mean) or worse yet that a simple cleaning will hurt worse then before. or...i dunno, my fears can be like a ball of yarn once i start to let them unwind the are hard to get under control. How do i "psyche" myself up for this?
to this site. This really is the place to be. We've all got our fears to face and we are all getting tremendous help and support from each other which is helping us go through our various dental journeys. In my case, such was my terror (and still is) that I hadn't been able to go to a dentist for 39 years. By that time, not only does fear take hold but so does the embarrassment and shame at letting anyone see your teeth and what state you've allowed them to get into. But believe me, dentists have changed. They are not judgmental, they do not tell you off, or treat you like naughty little schoolchildren. They are understanding, they have empathy, they are human beings and when you find the right one, you will know, and you will get a huge sense of relief at being able to talk to someone about your problems and at starting to take control again. I do wish you all the best and know you will get through whatever treatment you need with no problems. It's not going to be easy, but believe me, as I said, the support you get from people on this site will help you through it. That Tardis idea - great, wouldn't it be good IF we could all go back in time to when our teeth were perfect, or even forward when they'd been fixed.
