• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

terror, Dentistry is thy name

dariachick

dariachick

:hidesbehindsofa:
oh... hi :) my name is Dariachick and I am really really REALLY super scared of dentists.
I finally got enough courage (ie was in enough pain) to see one about 1 year ago. at that appt I had to get 2 of my wisdom teeth pulled and 1 root canal. (by the way endodontist was super gentle and it barely hurt). Its now a year later and I kind of want to go back to the referring dentist for a general checkup/ cleaning...
but im scared...
kind of wish i could find a TARDIS to hide out in ;)
(I'm a huge DR Who fan)
does anyone have any advice
Im scared hes going to lecture me and give me that dissapointed look, you know the one  :mad:  (something like that just less mean)  or worse yet that a simple cleaning will hurt worse then before. or...i dunno, my fears can be like a ball of yarn once i start  to let them unwind the are hard to get under control. How do i  "psyche" myself up for this?

Compared to a lot of us here who hadn't/haven't been in ages 1 year doesn't sound at all bad.

If the dentist *does* say something like that then he or she is not for you.

I recently went for the first time in almost 15 years and it's been great. I've had 3 deep cleanings without anesthesia so I'm sure a regular cleaning would be nothing at all. You'll be fine, just remind yourself of what you already had done! Cleanings are a breeze compared to that!

Hi Dariachick, and  :welcome: to this site. This really is the place to be. We've all got our fears to face and we are all getting tremendous help and support from each other which is helping us go through our various dental journeys. In my case, such was my terror (and still is) that I hadn't been able to go to a dentist for 39 years. By that time, not only does fear take hold but so does the embarrassment and shame at letting anyone see your teeth and what state you've allowed them to get into.  But believe me, dentists have changed. They are not judgmental, they do not tell you off, or treat you like naughty little schoolchildren. They are understanding, they have empathy, they are human beings and when you find the right one, you will know, and you will get a huge sense of relief at being able to talk to someone about your problems and at starting to take control again. I do wish you all the best and know you will get through whatever treatment you need with no problems. It's not going to be easy, but believe me, as I said, the support you get from people on this site will help you through it.  That Tardis idea - great, wouldn't it be good IF we could all go back in time to when our teeth were perfect, or even forward when they'd been fixed.

If I'd thought about that before I found my dentist in London, I might have searched for one in Cardiff and happened upon the Tardis in my search.

hi Dariachick,
Let's hope the good dental doctors can work the same majic as Dr. Who.Love the show myself.Tom Baker was my favorite Dr.Probably because he always had his ever trusting K-9.Best of luck with your visits.I should think that by now dentists must realize that a lot of us don't have the best teeth in the world because of a bad experience somewhere along the line.I actually made my first call requesting a visit, other than toothaches, ever.I'm 56!Let us know how things go.I'm at d-1week and anxiously counting.

When it Rains it Pours ... :(

Hi all...Hope your Spring is shaping up better than mine.
On March 11 I went to the dentist for a deep cleaning on my right side of my mouth
(this was the first time I had a non ER appt in like 7 years)
Tho I was proud of myself for that feet of bravery it seems to have only opened a pandoras box of dental ills. After the cleaning my upper right tooth (#2) started hurting a lot. It was in a state of advanced decay so I decided to get it pulled.after taht (for about the past week) I have had a lot of pain...oly getting about 3 hours asleep a night. took yesterday off work got in for an ER appt as i was afraid it might be complications from the extraction. dentist said it was decay from the tooth right next to the first... unfortunatlly I now need a Root canal in that tooth and my bottom 2 on that side needs my attention right away.
My insurance isnt stellar so to deal with the cost I may nnd to cash out my 401k...
grrrr.
thanks for listening this community is gr8!!!

Re: When it Rains it Pours ... :(

I know it seems you have opened Pandoras box... and one thing is leading to another... but you know it was going to happen eventually... unfortunately decay does not go away.

Just think how great it will be once all this work is done... like a new beginning for your teeth.
It's hard not to consider the cost but it's definitely money very well spent... it's your health & happiness.

My only advice is to keep going back until you get that clean bill of health because anything left not done now will just cause trouble down the track and will be even more costly.

Dentists vary from clinic to clinic and from country to country so it's hard to know what options you have but if money becomes an issue then it wouldn't hurt to ask. Some have payment plans... or student work... or other options available. You don't know unless you ask.

Re: When it Rains it Pours ... :(

I sympathize..... I went in to see a dentist a few months ago, thinking that I had two bad teeth that would need to be extracted. It turned out that i actually needed three extractions, multiple fillings (numbering in the teens), and a crown. I was devastated to hear it at the time, both because I couldn't stand the thought of having all of that work and because I hadn't been prepared to spend nearly that much on fixing my teeth.
It's all done now, and I just want you to know how glad I am that I went through with having it all done. I have no more pain, no worries about what or how to eat, and no trouble keeping my teeth clean and healthy now. It was worth it for me, and I'd bet that you'd find the same to be true for you.

Best wishes... :grouphug: