• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The weirdest question?

E

Elliemarie

I'm afraid this might be the weirdest question you've been asked, but here goes--How can I get over the fear of the dentist looking up my nose? I haven't been to the dentist in years because of this fear. I read somewhere that dental assistants wish you would clean your nose before they work on you. You can see pretty far up my nostrils when my head is back and I'm afraid of being mocked and laughed at by the dentist or staff. I think this happened the last time I was at the dentist. Can I ask to wear a mask to put over my nose like the dentist and staff have? I really need dental work and am not afraid of the pain or much else involved, just this fear. Well, also the fear of being embarrassed because of the cavities I have, but this is way overshadowed by the other fear. This might seem like a prank question, but it is very serious to me. :shame: Thanks for any help you can give me.

This one takes the cake for weirdest one.

Only thing I can tell you is to learn not to care about it let someone stare at it for example for practice. I don't see what can be so funny about damn nose. Having stuff over your nose is not solution it will just make it even more obvious.

If I were you I would talk to dentist about it and get his input.

I prefer not to look into anyone's nose. I am sure the other dentists agree with me. Yes that is the oddest "fear"I have heard. Thanks for sharing it.

I have horrible allergies and no matter how well I clean my nose and throat prior to going to my dentist, I know I still have junk up there and junk going down the back of my throat. As long as I don't sneeze on them, I'm sure they're okay with me - plus I'm paying my bills on time and doing what they're telling me to take care of my mouth, so no reason to poo poo my nose/allergy issues. :)

I prefer not to look into anyone's nose. I am sure the other dentists agree with me. Yes that is the oddest "fear"I have heard. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for your answer. I hope the dentist I find feels the same way. Although, I feel stupid about it being the oddest fear, it makes me feel better that you answered and I'll try not to think of it when I'm in the chair. Just don't want to be laughed at behind my back, I guess.

I have horrible allergies and no matter how well I clean my nose and throat prior to going to my dentist, I know I still have junk up there and junk going down the back of my throat. As long as I don't sneeze on them, I'm sure they're okay with me - plus I'm paying my bills on time and doing what they're telling me to take care of my mouth, so no reason to poo poo my nose/allergy issues. :)

Thanks, angeldove, and thanks for not laughing at my question. :)

Thanks, angeldove, and thanks for not laughing at my question. :)

You're quite welcome :) I have health issues with my nose and I'm tired of people judging me for having a constantly running nose. If they can't get past my nose and see the amazing talents and skills that I have, screw them.

You're paying the dentist to care for your teeth - not stare at you. If they ever say anything, take your business elsewhere and make sure to leave reviews all over the internet about them too. ;)

You're quite welcome :) I have health issues with my nose and I'm tired of people judging me for having a constantly running nose. If they can't get past my nose and see the amazing talents and skills that I have, screw them.

You're paying the dentist to care for your teeth - not stare at you. If they ever say anything, take your business elsewhere and make sure to leave reviews all over the internet about them too. ;)

Wise words, angel; I will try to remember them or come back to this page if I need a confidence boost. Also, I will definitely leave reviews to save other people embarrassment. There just seems to be a lot of clueless dentists in regard to people's feelings--have heard many horror stories beside my own experiences. Dental care is so important, but it sure isn't easy with the prices they charge and so many seeming to know little about what to do with vulnerable patients.

Back