• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Weirdest thing happened at Dentist today.

R

Racheal1977

I am a HUGE chicken when it comes to the dentist. I cry the minute I enter the office, today that did not happen. ( I am shocked).

I was supposed to get # 13 pulled, it did not happen.
They had given me a prescription for Xanax yesterday, take one before bed, one 40 min before the appt, & 1 when I got to the office, & bring the bottle with me in case I needed more. Needless to say they did not work.
I started tearing up a little sitting in the chair. Anyway I told her that I needed the most numbing stuff they could give me, she said ok. gave me 1 shot I could still feel it, gave me the 2nd could still feel it. 3rd & 4th the same. 5th shot she had me put glasses on & close my eyes, poked me with something & I about jumped out of the seat, She sat me up checked my blood pressure & heart rate, blood pressure was normal heart rate not so much. She said shes done, & will not pull it. Said there was no way she was pulling it when I could still feel everything.

Is this normal ? I did not ask I just got out of there as fast as I could LOL...

I will have to go to an oral surgeon & have decided I will just be put to sleep & have all of them pulled. Just thinking about this is giving me anxiety & making me want to cry. I HATE HATE HATE my upper teeth, I look like a meth head & have never done drugs in my life. I do not smile or laugh around people I do not know. I do not talk to people I do not know. We moved here about 4 years ago & I still to this day do not know anyone in our small city, So I know this will be a good thing. I just need people to talk to me through this.. What should I expect ? pain wise, recovery wise. I am thinking I am going to go with the temporary denture, is this a good thing or bad thing ? 6 months with out teeth is just not an option for me.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Racheal

Hi!

Temporary dentures (or immediates) are preferable to a lot of people, because it's often better to have something to use if you want to go outside and be sociable etc. Some people's immediates suit them fine for the six months, others find them more tricky. The dentist has to guess what shape your gums will be after extractions, so at first they can be a bad fit. But on the plus side, it's so easy for the dentist to adjust them. They can shave bits off and remould them and reline them. So if at first you're frustrated because they don't fit well, hang in there and be patient! It'll get better!

As for recovery, well, everyone is different. Mine was a breeze. I had all my teeth removed, plus wisdoms. I had some tenderness and lots of swelling, but the pain wasn't bad at all. Not even a four. They gave me painkillers to take, but I really only took the ibuprofen to keep the swelling down a little, and didn't need the codeine at all. You'll have to take it easy for a while, rinsing gently with salt water, being careful when you eat, and sticking to liquid foods, but I just rested up for a few days and watched a lot of TV. I don't rank it up there as a bad experience at all (and I'm normally a wimp about everything).

It can take a little while to adjust, but probably not as long as you think. At first it feels weird having a foreign object in your mouth (my stomach thought they were food and it made me salivate for the first two days. Sucking on a hard candy can help with that I hear). You might lisp a bit, but practice talking by singing, chatting to pets and plants and family and whatever else! Any changes to your speech will sound way more pronounced to you than to anyone else.

I hope some of this helps.

Best wishes :hug4: x

I had tooth like that pulled it even had 3 roots so 3 times. On slight touch it hurt like hell. Shots dont work in that case i had 4. With that extraction my fears started. It was case of inflammed tooth.

I know how its like to forget how to laugh and how it affects me. So let me tell you this all the pain and discomfort dental procedures are nothing in comparison to how much i suffered over years just by living with very bad teeth.Looking back I'm amazed how long i went on like that. Right now I dont want to meet people it is just to hard for me.

Pain wise there should be very little but. Eating us going to be very hard forva few days because your whole mouth are full of extraction sites. Denture is good it keeps your bite in check.

Hi!

Temporary dentures (or immediates) are preferable to a lot of people, because it's often better to have something to use if you want to go outside and be sociable etc. Some people's immediates suit them fine for the six months, others find them more tricky. The dentist has to guess what shape your gums will be after extractions, so at first they can be a bad fit. But on the plus side, it's so easy for the dentist to adjust them. They can shave bits off and remould them and reline them. So if at first you're frustrated because they don't fit well, hang in there and be patient! It'll get better!

As for recovery, well, everyone is different. Mine was a breeze. I had all my teeth removed, plus wisdoms. I had some tenderness and lots of swelling, but the pain wasn't bad at all. Not even a four. They gave me painkillers to take, but I really only took the ibuprofen to keep the swelling down a little, and didn't need the codeine at all. You'll have to take it easy for a while, rinsing gently with salt water, being careful when you eat, and sticking to liquid foods, but I just rested up for a few days and watched a lot of TV. I don't rank it up there as a bad experience at all (and I'm normally a wimp about everything).

It can take a little while to adjust, but probably not as long as you think. At first it feels weird having a foreign object in your mouth (my stomach thought they were food and it made me salivate for the first two days. Sucking on a hard candy can help with that I hear). You might lisp a bit, but practice talking by singing, chatting to pets and plants and family and whatever else! Any changes to your speech will sound way more pronounced to you than to anyone else.

I hope some of this helps.

Best wishes :hug4: x

THANK YOU..... I have at least a month or 2 to get used to the idea, unless this tooth starts hurting again.

I would suggest not rushing to extract teeth. I would seek the care of another dentist who is more adapt at achieving profound anesthesia. Perhaps your oral surgeon could recommend someone.

I would suggest not rushing to extract teeth. I would seek the care of another dentist who is more adapt at achieving profound anesthesia. Perhaps your oral surgeon could recommend someone.

I only have 9 teeth left up there, my teeth are in REALLY bad shape If I keep them I need root canals on 5 of them all on the right side. My front right tooth is porcelain, the front left front one has a crack in in from the top of the gum to the bottom. I only have 4 teeth on my left side the 2 next to my front tooth, # 13 & then one all the way in the back.

root canals are not an option, I have had 3 already & the teeth fell out within a week of having them done. It was a waste of money & time.

This was my 2nd opinion, my 1st opinion dentist wanted to pull all of my teeth including the bottoms ones.
I am scared to death of all dentist, so getting a third opinion is just not something I would need to do.

Tooth # 13 was infected 2 weeks ago, they put me on antibiotics, so it has to be pulled before the infection comes back, only the back & side of the tooth id still there, the one side & half the front is missing

Back