• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

This might be a way to beat a gag reflex!

F

fireandice1000

I was able to beat the gag reflex the last time I was at the dentist. I did it by basically shutting down while they worked on me; I completely relaxed. I think that some people who have a gag reflex might be people who just use more oxygen overall than the average. I had to almost nap in a way; I closed my eyes and had earphones over me while they worked. I didn't gag once when they stuck the measuring film in my mouth; I was completely motionless. The best way for me to relax is to 'ground' my thoughts, or at least that's the best way to describe it. This may not work for everyone, but I focused my thoughts onto something completely unrelated to dental health or dentistry, like science for me. It's weird but it worked! (I have a more scientist type of personality so this might work better in my case. I'd try it if you have a gag reflex!)

Great suggestion and I'm very happy it worked for you! I had a horribly overactive gag reflex until my 30s. Then one day I was trying to get through a set of bitewing x-rays and the assistant said, "Ginny, stop trying to push the x-rays out with your tongue!" And I realized that any time anyone put something in my mouth, I started pushing against it with my tongue, triggering the gag reflex. Now I'm very conscious to relax my tongue and just let them do what they're going to do and I haven't gagged since. Pats on the back for both of us!

This sounds really good! I'll have to try it. Normally in dental work I'm too stressed to relax enough to try this but with x-rays there is no chance of pain so this could work!

I think I have the worst gag reflex ever and have tried all the steady breathing techniques I can and they haven't worked, x-rays have always been impossible and endered in tears but perhaps I just need to shut down more, though slight problem when you have to listen to the dentist telling you do do stuff! My main problem is gagging whilst brushing my back teeth on a daily basis, not good but perhaps I should try listening to music as I brush to distract me!

Back