• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Throat Numb - Benzocaine or Anesthetic

  • Thread starter Thread starter Predemption
  • Start date Start date
P

Predemption

Junior member
Joined
Jan 23, 2026
Messages
3
Location
Florida
Recently went to the Dentist for a Root Canal, and it was a terrible experience of having a 3 hour panic attack with three dental assistants... I was ready to go and get my tooth fixed but at some point my throat went completely numb. It did NOT close up - but I was completely unable to swallow saliva or a drop of water. It freaked me out and I quit the procedure before it started. For the life of me, I cant recall if it happened when they put the Benzocaine on my gums, or during the Anesthetic injection into my lower gums. The dental assistant swears she didnt let a single drop of Anesthetic go into my throat, so that leads me to think I swallowed Benzocaine... Im losing so much sleep over this.

I have an IV Conc Sedation next week and Im worried its going to happen to my throat again.
I told the Endo I found to NOT use Benzocaine which he said he wouldnt. I guess I'm just so worried about what caused my throat muscles to not work at the other dentist off (if it was the Benzo or the other injection they put into your gums). IT LASTED 3 HOURS of not being able to swallow saliva!
 
Last edited:
Local anaesthetic is not effective unless it's injected, so whether any dripped into your throat or not doesn't matter.
The topical (surface) stuff wears off in less than 5 minutes, given the quantities involved it's hard to see how it could have caused any effect at all.

I'm afraid the most likely explanation is a hysterical reaction, which you probably don't want to hear.
 
Theres just not way, it was physically stiff for 3 hours. It felt like the size of a straw until whatever it was wore off :/
 
Predemption, Just want to say, so sorry that happened to you. That is really an awful feeling with throat being numb, I have asked them if I can have a suction to make sure to grab any bit of anesthetic, so for the most part they have either been willing to give it to me or have it right there while they are doing it to catch it. Glad you shared your concern with the Endo and he agreed not to do what you don't like ! That sounds like a positive!
 
Well everyone... I DID IT!!! IV Con Sedation is amazing. The dentist even waited till I was out before he injected the numbing medication in the lower jaw gums because I knew my anxiety around a numb throat/cant swallow.
Very smooth experience, no memory until hours later at home so he definitely gave me an extra boost. Now I just gotta find a Dr for a crown, and not going to worry right now what that process entails.

Alittle headache after, but Im so happy. Sedation is the bomb!!!
 
Last edited:
:cheers: :perfect: :dance: That sounds great!! So glad it went well and they made it a smooth process for you! Very courageous :) :)...
 
Back
Top