• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth removal with a sore throat

• Thread starter Monarchandthemilkweed
  • Start date
M

Monarchandthemilkweed

My teenage daughter is supposed to get her wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. It’s Sunday today. She’s had a mild sore throat, no fever. Took her to urgent care. Negative for Strep and Mono.
Do you think she can still get her wisdom teeth out. It’s been rescheduled once due to covid. She’s already taken off work.
I’ll call tomorrow but curious what is usually done.

Does she normally get sore throats from allergies this time of year?

If not it is most likley viral, and there are a LOT Of different viruses that cause a sore throat such as the common cold all the way to COVID-19. The problem other than risk of COVID is that you want her comfortable.

It is not uncommon that a head-cold starts with a sore throat which progresses to nasal congestion etc. Being her mouth will be open for hours while she is numed and/or sedated or under general anestesia, it would be best for sure if she could at least breath through her nose.. Also after words there may be some swelling, and you don't want her throat inflamed too. She will need to be able to take some pain medication, possibly steroids to reduce inflamation, and even some antibiotics depending upon what is perscribed.

Just be open with the medical staff and reach out to them Monday, so they know she has been a little sick. Be honest with them all around because they are looking out for your daughter, too.

My teenage daughter is supposed to get her wisdom teeth out on Tuesday. It’s Sunday today. She’s had a mild sore throat, no fever. Took her to urgent care. Negative for Strep and Mono.
Do you think she can still get her wisdom teeth out. It’s been rescheduled once due to covid. She’s already taken off work.
I’ll call tomorrow but curious what is usually done.

Back in September (prior to COVID), I had to get one wisdom tooth extracted. I had the worst sore throat ever and decided to reschedule, though the office said I could come if I didn’t have a fever. I’m really glad I put it off. My cold symptoms progressively worsened to a point where I was coughing nonstop, was stuffed up and just miserable. Three weeks later, I had it extracted. When you’re sick, you already feel lousy and in my case, it was better to focus on one thing at a time. Plus, after I had one tooth extracted, I was so afraid of dislodging the clot, which can be caused from excessive sneezes or coughing. If it’s just allergies, your daughter may feel fine on Tuesday, but if she is still feeling it tomorrow, I would ask her. I didn’t want two problems at once. Haha!

Does she normally get sore throats from allergies this time of year?

If not it is most likley viral, and there are a LOT Of different viruses that cause a sore throat such as the common cold all the way to COVID-19. The problem other than risk of COVID is that you want her comfortable.

It is not uncommon that a head-cold starts with a sore throat which progresses to nasal congestion etc. Being her mouth will be open for hours while she is numed and/or sedated or under general anestesia, it would be best for sure if she could at least breath through her nose.. Also after words there may be some swelling, and you don't want her throat inflamed too. She will need to be able to take some pain medication, possibly steroids to reduce inflamation, and even some antibiotics depending upon what is perscribed.

Just be open with the medical staff and reach out to them Monday, so they know she has been a little sick. Be honest with them all around because they are looking out for your daughter, too.

I do think it could be allergies. Her uncle who is an ears nose and throat said for her to use Flonase and she is feeling a little
Better.

Back in September (prior to COVID), I had to get one wisdom tooth extracted. I had the worst sore throat ever and decided to reschedule, though the office said I could come if I didn’t have a fever. I’m really glad I put it off. My cold symptoms progressively worsened to a point where I was coughing nonstop, was stuffed up and just miserable. Three weeks later, I had it extracted. When you’re sick, you already feel lousy and in my case, it was better to focus on one thing at a time. Plus, after I had one tooth extracted, I was so afraid of dislodging the clot, which can be caused from excessive sneezes or coughing. If it’s just allergies, your daughter may feel fine on Tuesday, but if she is still feeling it tomorrow, I would ask her. I didn’t want two problems at once. Haha!
This is very helpful. Was thinking since she will be recovering from wisdom teeth removal why does it matter if she has a cold. But what you say makes sense. Thank you

It matters for sure. Another common drug class for allergies is antihistamines. Not a doctor, but an occasional allergy sufferer. All I can tell you is different drugs are better for different allergies for different people.

There is Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, and XYZal available over the counter, but you should still discuss it with your daughters healthcare provider. Some of these can have mild side-effects for some folks including dry mouth or throat, drowsiness, dizziness etc.

Additionally ANY and ALL medication MUST be discussed prior to any procedure especially when general anesthesia or sedation is used.

Back