• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tips for new bottom denture wearers

• Thread starter Islandersgirl74
  • Start date
I

Islandersgirl74

What are some helpful tips for someone with a full bottom denture?

Dental adhesive can help, but if the fit is good, it's best to practice with them without adhesive, at home, when you're feeling safe and comfortable.

They don't get the suction that top dentures get to keep them stable, so they do seem to move around. Remember that every feeling in your mouth is amplified greatly. One tooth suddenly being higher than another after a filling is enough to make your whole mouth feel off-kilter. Tiny little cavities feel like gaping caverns to a sensitive organ like the tongue, which has loads of nerve endings. A bottom denture is going to feel like a huge alien chunk of plastic that you can't control - at first. Like all things, it needs steady practice, and your brain will adjust.

Wear it while you watch TV. Talk often, to the pets, plants, the TV, thin-air. Singing is especially good for training your mouth and tongue. You might feel hopeless. You might want to cry. It's a process! Once you're healed, don't shy away from trying to eat! You might look at a hamburger and think "I can't do this", but try anyway. Eat slowly and carefully. Your tongue will start to figure out what's going on and what it needs to do, and it will start to do it without you needing to consciously control it. :)

Dental adhesive can help, but if the fit is good, it's best to practice with them without adhesive, at home, when you're feeling safe and comfortable.

They don't get the suction that top dentures get to keep them stable, so they do seem to move around. Remember that every feeling in your mouth is amplified greatly. One tooth suddenly being higher than another after a filling is enough to make your whole mouth feel off-kilter. Tiny little cavities feel like gaping caverns to a sensitive organ like the tongue, which has loads of nerve endings. A bottom denture is going to feel like a huge alien chunk of plastic that you can't control - at first. Like all things, it needs steady practice, and your brain will adjust.

Wear it while you watch TV. Talk often, to the pets, plants, the TV, thin-air. Singing is especially good for training your mouth and tongue. You might feel hopeless. You might want to cry. It's a process! Once you're healed, don't shy away from trying to eat! You might look at a hamburger and think "I can't do this", but try anyway. Eat slowly and carefully. Your tongue will start to figure out what's going on and what it needs to do, and it will start to do it without you needing to consciously control it. :)

Oh no your post scares me!

It shouldn't scare you! It is meant to prepare you! Many people who get new bottom/top/even partial dentures get really upset in the first couple of days, because having a brand new denture feels really strange. But I promise, if you stick with it, it goes away *so fast*. For people who don't stick with it at all, the people who take their denture out after an hour, it continues to feel weird. But it all comes down to practice.

Our mouths and tongues are amazing at adjusting. I've had full dentures for 3 years now. I don't even notice them any more. Never. I don't think about them, except when I clean them. I just live my life. My speech is fine. Bottom dentures don't affect speech anyway. No one knows.

You'll be fine. I just want to prepare you for the initial shock, because it catches people by surprise.

It shouldn't scare you! It is meant to prepare you! Many people who get new bottom/top/even partial dentures get really upset in the first couple of days, because having a brand new denture feels really strange. But I promise, if you stick with it, it goes away *so fast*. For people who don't stick with it at all, the people who take their denture out after an hour, it continues to feel weird. But it all comes down to practice.

Our mouths and tongues are amazing at adjusting. I've had full dentures for 3 years now. I don't even notice them any more. Never. I don't think about them, except when I clean them. I just live my life. My speech is fine. Bottom dentures don't affect speech anyway. No one knows.

You'll be fine. I just want to prepare you for the initial shock, because it catches people by surprise.

No I appreciate it. I’m just so terrified. I’m a teacher so I’m glad I’m getting it done early enough in the summer so I can adjust. I haven’t made any plans in July for anything. I’m getting a partial on top for 2 side molars as well. I haven’t made plans for anything the whole month of July so I can get used to everything. As long as I can talk I’ll be ok with taking the good eating slow.

You'll be just fine, I promise!

Back