• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Toddler’s First Dental Visit

K

Kate2022

Hi, I am taking my 3 year old toddler for her first dental appointment. Couple months ago, she bid on a metal folk and chipped her bottom tooth a little bit. She’s been asking us to take her to the dentist because her complained that she has a toothache, but then she also mentioned that dentist will give her lollipop, so I am not sure if she wants to see the dentist after the lollipop or if her tooth really hurts. My question is if it’s necessary to do x-ray? She’s still young and I prefer not to have her exposed to radiation. Can someone tell me what pediatric dentist would perform during their first visit for toddlers at her age? Thanks!

Iv taken my children to the dentist every 6 months from them getting their first tooth (my eldest was 12wks old) , all they did for the first few years was to look, count the teeth and talk about good brushing. They've never had xrays and are now almost 9 and almost 7. I'd imagine if the dentist thinks an x-ray is needed they will ask permission to do one.
I think at most she will get a sticker or two.

Back