• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

tooth extraction nightmare question

B

bmkp13

ok so i have had teeth removed before no problems, yesterday i went to a urgent care which was the only place open bc of hoildays here and had to have a root canal tooth removed bc part of the crown chipped off, now this is where it gets bad these people did a horrible job they cut so far into my gums to get this tooth removed it doesnt even look like i have gums anymore, i have 10/10 pain my face is still swollen i cant eat anything, my question is this normal for a root canal tooth to be removed i mean this is worse than having my wisdom teeth out and i dont know what to do, im on antibitoics and pain killers, they also stitched up pretty much my entire gum line,,,please help.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I don't know why they would take a tooth out just because the crown had chipped, but I am not a dentist. I would have thought that they could put a temp crown on to get you over the holidays.

As they didn't and you have this to deal with, I can only say for you to continue taking the antibiotics which should start to work between two to four days, it is important that you take the full course. Also use the pain meds as you need them.

For the swelling, try an ice pack held on your cheek, it should help with the swelling. If the pain is unbearable with the pain meds and you are worried about the condition of your mouth I would contact the emergency dept again and see if they could see you to check that everything is okay. Or go to your nearest A & E. I don't know what aftercare instructions they gave you, but usually 24 hours after a removal you should start rinsing with warm saltwater. Just let it swish around your mouth and then let it dribble out rather than spitting it out.

Could you manage some chicken soup avoiding the pieces of chicken, it often helps if you can eat a bit of something. I also find jelly helps, the coolness of it seems to help calm things down, I will put a link here for you that may help with things you could eat that won't need chewing.

You may find your jaw aches quite a bit, this is normal and will wear off quite quickly in a few days.

I hope you start to feel better soon :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

thanks for the reply, will deff keep on antibiotics and soft food, one of my main questions is... i have had teeth extracted before including all 4 wisdom but seriously not been in pain like this to the point of taking narcotic pain meds, is this normal for a crown tooth removal to be like this? i mean they kept trying to take it out and it kept braking and finally took knife saw dentist thing to cut a hole into my gums to get the root of the tooth out, it was terrible dentistry as i mentioned in my last post, they even had to have a different dentist finish..i know at my regular dentist all of this would not of happened bc i know/trust him i was in such a rush with the holidays to try not to be in pain but i reversed the role and made it worse lol. next time ill wait it out, but if any more replies would be thankful.

Hi,
Sorry to read about your tough situation. I second every word Carole wrote.

next time ill wait it out, but if any more replies would be thankful.

Taking a tooth out is not reversible. Next time (which I hope will never come) if the edge of the tooth is too sharp you can ask the dentist to smooth it down, if you suffer from pain you can ask for a prescription for painkillers. If an inflammation is involved sometimes antibiotics can lessen the pain until your dentist can see you.

yeah its still terrible today, i think they did something to my lip/cheeck it still feels numb for some reason...like its still tinglely like the novacane is starting to wear off feeling for the past 2 days and hurrrrts, pretty sure i have a dry socket as well but have to wait a couple days to see a dentist, thanks for the replys worst 3 days ever so far nothing but laying around in pain/no sleep i feel like something is wrong bc like i said ive had tooth extractions and for a simple molar extraction this seems extreme.

I am sorry to read that you are still in so much pain. It doesn't sound normal to me the way the tooth was taken out, even on a tooth that had had a rct and crown.

I think you had a very inexperienced dentist to start with and thank goodness that another more experienced dentist was on hand.

I am also sorry that I cannot add much more to what I have said before. Did they get all the tooth out, sometimes if some is left in it can cause pain and problems. Or as you say it could be dry socket but I think you said that you had had stitches which should prevent this. Or it could be that it is badly infected and once the antibiotics kick in you should start to feel better. You may need another course of antibiotics, sometimes a stronger one is needed.

I really hope that you can get to see your own dentist as soon as they open again. Unless you feel like braving the emergency dept again. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

anyone know what is up with the burning/ tingling feeling of novacaine still? ive never had this happen///could the dentist rupture a nerve and have like burning mouth syndrome or something? it hurts to talk or open my mouth and burns and tingles still its kinda like the feeling of novacaine wearing off minus the fact it hurts?

anyone know what is up with the burning/ tingling feeling of novacaine still? ive never had this happen///could the dentist rupture a nerve and have like burning mouth syndrome or something? it hurts to talk or open my mouth and burns and tingles still its kinda like the feeling of novacaine wearing off minus the fact it hurts?
The nerve can be hurt due to the local anesthesia injection or due to the tooth extraction.
I advise you to see an oral surgeon (or at least contact one) because if this is the case, a quick intervention can repair and save the nerve. Some times the nerve heals by itself (if the damage is very small) but if you want to be on the safe side, contact today an oral surgeon.

i went to my dentist today and wasnt much he can do....stitches removing on monday and as far as pain still a 10.10 havent slept or ate in 4 days face is burning and numb dentist thinks i could have nerve damange but thinks it should weasr off soon bc it wasnt like wisdom teeth being done or something...i didnt really understand but i have one more day for antibitotic then hopefully its all just trama and the tingle/burning sensation goes away.

Back