L
Lalafil
Junior member
- Joined
- Dec 14, 2025
- Messages
- 1
- Location
- Uk
I’m looking for some advice. I had a dentist in my younger days that capped and filled kids teeth where it wasn’t needed. So 30 years later I am paying the cost of this and trying to save and replace my teeth.
Yesterday I had my upper back tooth extracted. It had a crown that was around 25 years old, and the tooth snapped, so the remaining root had to be removed. Apparently turn root was ok. I am now in lots of pain 24 hrs later.
About five years ago, I had a problematic tooth removed on the opposite side. I experienced some discomfort then, but no real pain or swelling.
This time, once the local anaesthetic wore off, the pain was quite intense. I’ve been taking co-codamol, which has helped. I’ve followed the dentist’s advice by avoiding hot foods and sticking to cold, soft foods. However, before going to bed, something jelly-like came away from my mouth. I don’t know if it was the blood clot, or just dried blood as the site seemed to bled for hours.
This morning I woke up with pain and a swollen cheek. The pain relief is still helping, but not as effectively as yesterday. I’m worried that the jelly-like substance may have been the blood clot. When I feel the area with my tongue, it doesn’t seem like there’s an open hole — it feels covered, which I’m hoping means the clot is still there. Had a look in the mirror and there is a covering over the hole that looks white/grey.
Is it normal to have increasing pain and cheek swelling after an extraction? It feels like a sensitive tooth. My lower teeth are sore and sensitive. I am so anxious I am starting to get dry socket.
Yesterday I had my upper back tooth extracted. It had a crown that was around 25 years old, and the tooth snapped, so the remaining root had to be removed. Apparently turn root was ok. I am now in lots of pain 24 hrs later.
About five years ago, I had a problematic tooth removed on the opposite side. I experienced some discomfort then, but no real pain or swelling.
This time, once the local anaesthetic wore off, the pain was quite intense. I’ve been taking co-codamol, which has helped. I’ve followed the dentist’s advice by avoiding hot foods and sticking to cold, soft foods. However, before going to bed, something jelly-like came away from my mouth. I don’t know if it was the blood clot, or just dried blood as the site seemed to bled for hours.
This morning I woke up with pain and a swollen cheek. The pain relief is still helping, but not as effectively as yesterday. I’m worried that the jelly-like substance may have been the blood clot. When I feel the area with my tongue, it doesn’t seem like there’s an open hole — it feels covered, which I’m hoping means the clot is still there. Had a look in the mirror and there is a covering over the hole that looks white/grey.
Is it normal to have increasing pain and cheek swelling after an extraction? It feels like a sensitive tooth. My lower teeth are sore and sensitive. I am so anxious I am starting to get dry socket.