• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth infection and swollen jaw

S

sucre

Hi I had a tooth infection a month ago and a filling was done after antibiotics were taken. Last week out of nowhere the pain came back twice as bad in the same tooth. I went to the dentist and was give antibiotics again and scheduled a follow up appointment for root canal treatment. on my third day of taking the antibiotics I woke up with a numb lower lip and right side of lower jaw and then the next morning it was swollen. I went to dentist and he opened up the tooth took out the dead nerves and put some medication on the tooth and left it open. he also gave me a one dose antibiotic and told me to finish the other im on.
Since he did the work this morning the pain from the tooth is actually better but my lower lip and face is still numb and swollen.
Should I worry about this? ive read bad things about the infection spreading. Should I go to the hospital?

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I would give them a ring and ask what they think the best thing to do is.

I am not a dentist but it may be that you have had a very bad infection that is taking some time to shift. The antibiotics should kick in soon. Infections in the mouth don't usually spread to any where else.

If the swelling starts to effect your throat contact them straight away.
Do let us know how you get on please :butterfly:

Hi Sucre,
the numbness is probably from the infection (pus) pressing on the nerve. It should go away as the antibiotics take the swelling away, use an ice pack as well.
Caroles advice to contact your surgery is good, you should do that.

Back