• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth Pain From Roots In Sinus

S

superjen

At the suggestion of my dentist, my doctor ordered a sinus CT which shows "the maxillary sinuses are hyperaerared (large) and the roots for a few of the maxillary molars appear to protrude through the floor of the sinus into the alveolar recess." There is no sign of sinusitis or active or old dental infection in that area. My nasal cavity does show inflammation and narrowing.

Of course my doctor was out this week and my dental anxiety along with the help of google can't decide if this means I'll need to have my molars pulled to get rid of the tooth pain that I've experienced for over 2 years or if my teeth are ok and my sinuses are easily treated.

Have any dentists seen this extension of the roots into the sinus along with unexplained tooth pain and pressure?

Not a dentist, but I recently developed seasonal allergies, and my atypical facial pain has flared like crazy right now with all the pollen. I posted on here about it, even, and my facial pain dentist confirmed it was sinus related. I had x rays taken and a dental checkup this week and everything was fine, even though it felt like two teeth were being yanked out.

What she said ^^^^ Sinus inflammation can totally mimic toothache. Don't know about being easily treated but there's no reason at all to go swiping molars...

My doctor's answer is my sinuses are normal, go back to my dentist. ? There is not a lot of comfort for doctors to deal with tooth pain, is there? The only thing that has helped in the past is steroids, which would tell me there is inflammation. I would imagine not all sinus inflammation would show on a CT. And in the years I have had this pain, not one doctor has looked in my nose... Maybe if I lose another 30 pounds someone will be willing to help me.

My doctor's answer is my sinuses are normal, go back to my dentist. ? There is not a lot of comfort for doctors to deal with tooth pain, is there? The only thing that has helped in the past is steroids, which would tell me there is inflammation. I would imagine not all sinus inflammation would show on a CT. And in the years I have had this pain, not one doctor has looked in my nose... Maybe if I lose another 30 pounds someone will be willing to help me.
Have you gone to an ENT? I have no idea if that would help, but the ENT I went to when I thought my tooth pain was sinus pain is the one that told me I needed my front tooth out. I had brought my X-rays and he looked at them and said the infection from the previous abscess had not been completely removed by the root canal and that the infection was irritating the nerve. He knew all about the connection between sinus and dental and said I did have some sinus infection going on but it was separate from my teeth.

Have you tried a sinus or allergy medication? That helped me when it was sinus related and didn’t help when it was tooth related

I think I need a referral to see an ENT. Since my doctor doesn't think there is a problem I'm not sure I'll get that. I have tried all the meds for short periods of time, but I feel lost since there is no doctor suggesting what meds will actually help. I know it's sinus related because I didn't have pain on both sides until I had covid in January. I could feel the bubbling above my teeth and the pain is still there. I'm going to beg and plead to see an ENT and keep googling to see what meds I should try. I'm planning to see a chiropractor and/or acupuncturist too to examine possible muscular causes. Since reading about your experiences MountainMama, I feel that anything is possible.

Back