• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Top clearance and partial bottom clearance in January

Hi Dave,

I just had 17 teeth, mostly the top teeth including 2 wisdom teeth and 2 supernumerary (extra) teeth removed, (1 was in the roof of my mouth, the other was growing out of the top part of my gum under my lip), 7 fillings, a root canal and a scale and polish done under GA on Friday.

I get really bad anxiety in general, I am needle phobic, and so terrified of dentists up until Friday I had never been to a dentist since I was a kid, never even had a filling.

They gave me some pre-meds to calm me down as admittedly I was panicking, it was some sort of blackcurrant flavoured meds, tasted disgusting tbh, then 5 mins after I was taken into the theatre, led down and after that I don't remember anything, was told that was when they put the GA mask on.

I woke up having been under the GA for around 2 hours 10 mins, quite numb, sat next to my mum in some sort of waiting area, no pain whatsoever, didn't panic, was more relieved than anything.

After 30 mins I was allowed to leave, surgeon and his team were amazing.

Remember, they do this every single day, it's their job, my teeth were in a horrific state an was terrified they wouldn't be able to extract them without something going wrong, but they did.

Anyway, good luck, not that you'll need it, you'll be fine, let us know how you get on.

Mark.

Hi Dave,

I just had 17 teeth, mostly the top teeth including 2 wisdom teeth and 2 supernumerary (extra) teeth removed, (1 was in the roof of my mouth, the other was growing out of the top part of my gum under my lip), 7 fillings, a root canal and a scale and polish done under GA on Friday.

I get really bad anxiety in general, I am needle phobic, and so terrified of dentists up until Friday I had never been to a dentist since I was a kid, never even had a filling.

They gave me some pre-meds to calm me down as admittedly I was panicking, it was some sort of blackcurrant flavoured meds, tasted disgusting tbh, then 5 mins after I was taken into the theatre, led down and after that I don't remember anything, was told that was when they put the GA mask on.

I woke up having been under the GA for around 2 hours 10 mins, quite numb, sat next to my mum in some sort of waiting area, no pain whatsoever, didn't panic, was more relieved than anything.

After 30 mins I was allowed to leave, surgeon and his team were amazing.

Remember, they do this every single day, it's their job, my teeth were in a horrific state an was terrified they wouldn't be able to extract them without something going wrong, but they did.

Anyway, good luck, not that you'll need it, you'll be fine, let us know how you get on.

Mark.

Thank you for the great reply Mark I really appreciate it and to know someone who's had it done very very recently is a great help and you are very right that they do this day in day out and know exactly what they are doing :)

Will keep you all posted how I get on this coming Wednesday

Thinking positive

Dave

One of the things that helped me too, was realizing that people all over my city, were having the same procedure that day, and that this had also happened every day at almost every oral surgery in town. Mark is bang on with that assessment. The surgeons, and their teams, do this all of the time and know exactly what they're doing. I can't wait to hear how well you got on, when you report back on Wednesday afternoon!

I'll do my best to post on Wednesday afternoon if not Thursday morning but I do plan on writing up my journey from the start a few years ago through to the extractions and beyond :)

I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday. Sitting in the hospital waiting is the hardest part, too much thinking time.

I was sat with my mum and every sense in my body was telling me to run out of the hospital and not go through with it.

It's just fear, the body's natural response to what it perceives as danger.

See you on the other side, Dave. Look forward to reading your post Wednesday/Thursday.

Good luck, Dave! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow too.

Well here goes nothing!

I'm 25 minutes away from leaving for the hospital for my surgery, feeling anxious and excited at the same time but prepared to get this done.

I'll see you all on the other side of this:)

Wow, sounds like you are in really good hands! Great you rang them, a thing as simple as asking questions can help a lot. Keeping my fingers crossed for your procedure, do keep us posted!

I did it! 21 extractions under General anaesthetic and I'm not as sore as I'd expected.

I'm so relieved it's done though and I'll update this tomorrow as I'm very tired still and need a sleep :)

If I can do it anyone can

I'm so proud of you!

That's amazing news, congratulations and well done! :cheer::cheer::cheer:
Glad to read you are not as sore as you thought, may it stay like that. Recover well, give yourself a huge pat on your back and keep us posted!

Well done+do ice packs to lessen any swelling/bruising.

Thanks for your replies everyone/

:perfect::star::star::star: Great to hear!! Hope it heals quick and well!!

Thank you all :) I'm at the 24 hour mark now and pain hasn't increased and is very manageable with paracetamol and ibuprofen which is fantastic.

I keep looking at my mouth and getting panicked over the stitches etc but keep reminding myself it's only been 24 hours and it has been major work undertaken so no need to panic but instead I'm replacing that negative with a positive that I had the courage to get it done

Thank you all for the great replies and I'll update you tomorrow on day 2 :)

Yes, you had the courage and it's now behind you. You now just have to remember that lots and lots of people have this done every day and that the VAST majority of them do very, very well. I'm sure that you'll be posting more positive comments in the days to come. Whoo Hoo!

Day 3

With each day I'm finding things improving more and more which is fantastic and pain levels are nothing like I expected them to be prior to the surgery in fact I'd say pain is non existent it's more of a slight bruising but not painful at all.

Managed to eat some porridge this morning and had no problems with that at all and drinking is not a problem either so overall I'm very content :)

I apologies if yesterdays post seemed a bit negative at all I was just expecting miracles to be honest lol which after 2 days was never going to happen :) Thank you for the support so far you have been amazing and I hope someone can find some use out of these daily updates after surgery.

Very swollen and sore today which I had expected as I know that days 3 - 5 can be the most sore with the bruising etc as the gums etc heal but it's very manageable and nothing like the aches or infections I had with my teeth

Another very positive and healing nicely day

Great to hear the positive news.. hope the swelling and pain go down for you though !!

Back