• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Traditional braces, ceramic braces, or invisalign?

C

ChrystalRae

I seen my orthodontist yesterday to correct a problem I'm having with some mobility in my lower front teeth. I guess I never knew the correct way to hold my tongue and I've always kinda.. pushed on my lower front teeth. Causing them to shift and spread out. Like a domino effect. I also need an expander for a couple teeth on the top. Hes given me tongue training exercises so after I make a decision, I don't ruin progress made falling back into bad habits.
I'm having trouble deciding on my choices he gave me though. Traditional braces, ceramic, or invisalign. He talked to me about all the pros and cons for them. I've been doing research. Honestly, none sound better than the other. So if you have had them or know someone who has, can you share an experience? Thoughts?
Either choice I make it looks to be about 2 years I'd be in them. No real guarantee yet until I start and we can see how well I'm doing.
I have time to decide. Since I'm an "older" patient I'm waiting to see a periodontist for approval first.
Thank you for your time.

I seen my orthodontist yesterday to correct a problem I'm having with some mobility in my lower front teeth. I guess I never knew the correct way to hold my tongue and I've always kinda.. pushed on my lower front teeth. Causing them to shift and spread out. Like a domino effect. I also need an expander for a couple teeth on the top. Hes given me tongue training exercises so after I make a decision, I don't ruin progress made falling back into bad habits.
I'm having trouble deciding on my choices he gave me though. Traditional braces, ceramic, or invisalign. He talked to me about all the pros and cons for them. I've been doing research. Honestly, none sound better than the other. So if you have had them or know someone who has, can you share an experience? Thoughts?
Either choice I make it looks to be about 2 years I'd be in them. No real guarantee yet until I start and we can see how well I'm doing.
I have time to decide. Since I'm an "older" patient I'm waiting to see a periodontist for approval first.
Thank you for your time.

Hi there. So I have been looking into the orthodontic options to over the past few years and have had traditional train track braces in the past as a teenager. I was about to start my braces journey again but unfortunately was put on hold due to covid. I found some of the main differences in the options are based on cost or the appearance of having them. So I suppose are these at all deciding factors for you?

Hi there. So I have been looking into the orthodontic options to over the past few years and have had traditional train track braces in the past as a teenager. I was about to start my braces journey again but unfortunately was put on hold due to covid. I found some of the main differences in the options are based on cost or the appearance of having them. So I suppose are these at all deciding factors for you?
Cost isn't too much a problem for me. They are giving me a discount since I can pay up front with cash. The biggest factor for me is what will be more comfortable. I know they will both cause pain at points. From asking my friend who had traditional, she said when they tighten them it's like a constant pain that slowly eases away till they get tightened again. Then with invisalign it seems to be it's some discomfort with tray changes for a few days. I'm disciplined enough to keep them in but it does seem like lots of work taking them out to eat and cleaning every time. Then with braces you're limited with food choices.
This is such a hard decision for me.

Hmmm yes such a tough decisions I know I struggled to make it too. My tmemory of traditional braces when I was a teenager was that they felt tight and achy for a bit after each wire change but then settled down again. And the wire changes were not to close together on my treatment plan. So I suppose less than the aligned changes for Invisalign would be possibly. I think initially I had a bit of rubbing on the inside on my cheek too. I know friends who have had Invisalign but I don’t have a personal account or experience.

Thank you for your advice ?
I've been doing tons of research on both options. I talked to one girl who did both and she said as far as pain, invisalign was quite less painful.
I have an appointment with a periodontist May 12th. I'm going to ask her what she thinks is a safer option for my gum health. Other than that, I think I'm going to go with invisalign unless she says I should go with traditional.

That’s okay. That’s good. I know I loved the idea of Invisalign, but, I think I don’t think I have the self discipline to keep them in if they hurt ? I know you said that’s not an issue for you though! I decided to go down the lingual route instead.

Back