• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

trying to work up some courage

  • Thread starter Thread starter elsie
  • Start date Start date
E

elsie

Junior member
Joined
Mar 17, 2009
Messages
1
I broke the rear quarter from a filled upper Molar last night. I need to go the the dentists, I know but.....

The last experience at the dentists has terrified me about going again. I had the same problem a few years ago so trotter along to see the dentists, nice chap did me a root canal and a filling. It was very painful, he said my roots were twisted, it took the best part of an hour and a half. Three days after the filling, the filling and half of my tooth came out when I was eating a sandwich. I returned to the dentist who said he would extract it, during the extraction he said the root was fused to my jaw. It seemed like I was in the chair for a very long time, the dentist was getting quite agitated and I was very bruised when I came out. I was distressed by the dentist attitude he was very abrupt in his maner.That evening it wouldn't stop bleeding, I went to bed and woke with my mouth full of blood. I'm not exagerating blood was running out of my mouth in pulses. My husband took me to A&E cos there was so much blood, I was transfered to a different hospital that had a maxi..something department. They said Dentist had nicked an artery, hence all the blood. They poked and prodded packed and stitched my gum. It healed well but I have never been to the dentist since. To be honest I'm terrified about going, just writing about the last visit has made my hands shake, I feel like crying, which I know is stupid, I'm not a child I very much on the wrongside of 40. I don't even know if the dentist will still see me as I stopped going.

My tooth doesn't hurt yet and I'm praying it doesn't start too.
 
I can totally understand why you're hesitant to go back, but why not look into ANOTHER dentist? There's recommendations on this site, I'd check it out and call around. Everyone can find a dentist made for them and their needs and you will too!
 
Hi Elsie
I'm guessing from use of A&E you are in the UK? Why on earth do you think you have to go back to the same dentist? Why on earth would you want to? Dentists are not all the same which is a good thing and a bad thing depending how you look at it ;).
Even if for financial reasons, you have no option but to find an NHS dentist, they are not linked to geographical location like GPs, you can go to any practice which will take you. You can also get 'emergency care' even if not on anyone's books - phone your PCT and ask.
If you can afford it though (they don't all cost the earth) , I would suggest you find a kind, competent (painless) private dentist rather than an NHS one just out of dental school. You need some TLC to get you over your fear.
Root canals especially ones with twisted roots should be done by endodontists not general dentists. If you are in pain during treatment you have the right to call a halt and go elsewhere to someone who won't hurt you or to rethink and have sedation options....best of luck with finding a better nicer dentist who neither hurts nor scares you.

Have a look on the Dentistfinder for your area


:grouphug:

You could also enquire about the Community Dental Service in your area - they are generally excellent and equipped to help you in the most appropriate way (chatting through fears or using sedation etc etc ).
 
I'm really sorry you had such bad experiences in the past :(. It's not surprising that you are very scared now. I totally agree with Brit. Even though it may look as if there aren't any options available in your area with the shortage of NHS dentists, if you dig deep enough you will usually find alternatives. Please do try the suggestions that Brit has given - among all those different avenues, it is very likely that you WILL find someone who can provide the care you deserve in a painfree and compassionate manner.
 
Back
Top