• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Unable to eat normally 6 momths after fillings, dentist says nothing appears wrong

F

Frankie91

Unable to eat normally 6 momths after fillings, dentist says nothing appears wrong

About 6 months ago I had 8 fillings, I went to a sedation dentist. I'm 26 and I'll admit I'd gone about a couple years without brushing or flossing as well as I needed to so I got the fillings and vowed to do better. I'm now a religious brusher and flosser and even use a waterpik. The problem is...my teeth still hurt so bad! In fact, there was no pain with my cavities, but I haven't been able to eat regularly since my fillings. Pressure, hot/cold, etc. hurts om both sides. I've gone back twice to the dentist and he found no problems, but did smooth out one filling that he said might be uneven. The second time I went back he even did x-rays and found no issues with my fillings.I saw him 2 weeks ago.

Today I noticed a think black line on one of my teeth with a filling. It won't come off by brushing, and this is one of the sore teeth. I don't want to go back to my dentist a 3rd time because I don't want to look like a hypochondriac if its nothing. Could this just be a stain? Is it normal for fillings to hurt this long after getting them?

I have a huge dental phobia. My very first memory is a car accident in which I lost my front baby teeth, when I was 3. Since that accident I've had more dental surgaries, extractions, and procedures than I can count. I feel like I'm doomed to have sore teeth no matter what I do and I'm at the point where this is making me so depressed.

Thank you for any help or advice.

Re: Unable to eat normally 6 momths after fillings, dentist says nothing appears wrong

Hi Frankie,

sorry to hear about your dental phobia and what caused it and reading your story I fully understand how frustrated and depressed you must be. Is your current dentist kind and able to put you at ease?

I haven't been able to eat regularly since my fillings. Pressure, hot/cold, etc. hurts om both sides. I've gone back twice to the dentist and he found no problems

Not being able to eat and having pain for months sounds like quite a problem for me. So if your dentist is not able to find a cause and just let you go with a 'everything is fine' despite you having pain, then the only healthy thing to do is to seek a second opinion.

Also keeping seeing a dentist again and again because you are in pain has nothing to do with being hypochondriac. If teeth are meant to make you able to eat and since months you haven't been able to do that, then what else would a dentist be supposed to do than to find a cause of your pain and treat it?

I don't know, what the stains could be and there are probably a lot of possibilities, but I hope you will find a dentist who can help you with the pain and with the stains too.

All the best wishes and may you get rid of the pain soon.

Re: Unable to eat normally 6 momths after fillings, dentist says nothing appears wrong

Is there an update to this? Interested to hear how you got on x

Back