• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upcoming extractions and sinus issue. Scared!

F

Fluttershy

I've been putting off getting my teeth extracted and getting a denture and partial because I'm terrified of dental procedures, but I'm concerned even more because of a sinus issue I've been struggling with. I have constant drainage in my throat, I have to clear it every few minutes and if I don't I start coughing and choking on the phlegm. Is it even possible to get the work done while this is going on? I'm so scared I'll start coughing or I'll choke, won't be able to breathe, or I'll cough and move and the dentist will end up hurting me. I also have severe dry mouth from prescriptions I take. I have to drink constantly or my throat gets so dry that I choke. All of that just adds to my extreme fear.

I have put off making the appt for the impressions and the procedure for the last 6-7 months but somethings got to give. I can't live like this anymore with the bad teeth and the shame. I can probably force myself to get beyond the fear of the pain and the blood and the needles in my mouth but not sure I can do it knowing I could possibly gag on my own snot while they're in there taking my teeth out. I'm afraid I'll panic and climb out of the chair halfway through it.

Any dentists out there who could give me some advice? I sure would appreciate it.

Taking teeth out usually takes a few seconds for each stage, so you'll be fine if you only need to cough every few minutes. I suspect that the adrenaline you'll be producing due to your nerves will suppress your coughing a bit anyway.

The dry mouth thing is a bit more of an issue from a dental point of view, is your dentist aware of it and what are they doing about it?

Taking teeth out usually takes a few seconds for each stage, so you'll be fine if you only need to cough every few minutes. I suspect that the adrenaline you'll be producing due to your nerves will suppress your coughing a bit anyway.

The dry mouth thing is a bit more of an issue from a dental point of view, is your dentist aware of it and what are they doing about it?

I mentioned the dry mouth during the consultation, they are aware of the meds I take which cause it, but not much was said. I am going back in soon and will go over all of this again. I do feel like it will be a big problem. Is there something that can be done about it prior to the extractions?

The problem with the dry mouth is it will make dentures a bit more tricky to wear, the saliva acts as a lubricant and also helps with sealing the denture to the mouth to keep it in place.

The other issue is that chronic dry mouth makes decay much more likely to happen, so you need to really keep on top of your diet, especially what you drink.

As far as what you can do about it, if it's caused by a specific medication, then sometimes changing it is a good idea, if that's not possible then you're into secondary management, such as artificial saliva, chewing non-sugar gum to stimulate saliva production and so on...

chronic dental infection may cause a chronic sinus problem

I've suspected my infections may be caused by my teeth. They are all really decayed, only 6 on the bottom are good. I've been through multiple rounds of antibiotics with almost no relief. The infection returns within a month or two after finishing the meds. My teeth don't hurt, only my face where my maxillary sinuses are but I've noticed a bubble that appears right above the only molar I have left. I can feel the swelling inside of my cheek and the pressure from it. I have actually popped it several times to relieve the pressure. I do have a lot of pain in my frontal sinuses but didn't think the teeth could affect that area.

I will be calling tomorrow to get the ball rolling on the extractions..as scared as I am to do it I know it's the best thing for my health. I will make sure my dentist knows about all of my issues.

I really appreciate you guys helping me out. It may not seem like much to a lot of people but just talking about this with someone relieves the anxiety I feel over all of this.

Back