• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Went to the dentist - finally! How do I deal with the upcoming extractions?

Re: Went to the dentist - finally! How do I deal with the upcoming extractions?

Sending you loads of positive vibes for tomorrow Dianne and for the week ahead. "You are strong, you are invincible, you are woman" Helen Reddy song if you didnt know-just showing my age now :giggle: As soon as you are up to it let us know how you are. I hope you have good people around to love and care for you. Sending HUGE hugs :hug4:

Sending you loads of positive vibes for tomorrow Dianne and for the week ahead. "You are strong, you are invincible, you are woman" Helen Reddy song if you didnt know-just showing my age now :giggle: As soon as you are up to it let us know how you are. I hope you have good people around to love and care for you. Sending HUGE hugs :hug4:

Awww, thanks Carol! And, yes, I remember Helen Reddy and that song, "I am woman!" I do have good people around me. I am very blessed! Feeling very anxious and ready to get this overwith and done! Thanks, again and good luck to you too! ;)

I am really really hoping everthing went ok today hunni remember to be kind to yourself :welldone:

Just read your story and I hope everything went today and you are resting comfortably at home!!!
Many :bear:'s!!!

Not sure what the time difference is between us, but by now you will have had your extractions. I daresay you will be a bit out of it for a little while, but I am hoping that you are not too sore.

Kim x

appreciate how you are feeling .. I have yet to have a tooth extracted by needle .. all mine were by gas when I was younger .. the thought terrifies me I must admit despite everyone assuring me it is far less traumatic than gas .. but I'm not convinced and remaining keeping my fingers crossed that any extractions are some way off though I do have a broken tooth which apparently will have to be removed at a hospital as there is little to get hold of ... it's almost inevitable it will need doing at some stage but I'm blocking it from my mind for now.

Hi! I am a newbie in this forum and I've been around reading your conversations. Congratulations Diane for the achievement you had. I know meeting a dentist isn't a thing that you will wish you'll do. But you did overcome your fear! You've inspired me so much with your story. I just wish one day, I can schedule an appointment with a dentist too.

:welcome:

You will do hunni - it may take a bit of time and encouragement, and your own strength, but you are in the right place to start to gather that for yourself.

I wish you well.

Hi all!

I did it, I did it, I did it! :jump:I went and had my 21 extractions yesterday! It went really, really well! I am in zero pain. I took the pain medication yesterday, by quite honestly, I don't think I even needed it. The upper partial is definitely going to take some getting used to. I went back to the dentist this morning to have them "trim" the top partial back and make it a little thinner. It helped somewhat. It's making me quite nauceous. I haven't ate much since Monday, but trying to drink alot of water. The IV sedation rocks! I remember listening to the monitor of my heartbeat and the next thing I knew my husband was in the room with me and they were wheeling me out to the car. I came home and watched TV. I even made a phone call to a friend, who was pleasantly surprised by how well I was doing (as was I!). Anyone out there who is afraid of IV sedation, don't be. It is the best thing since sliced bread, honestly. It was amazing. I love my temporary partials. I can actually smile again and feel confident. Thank you all for all the support. I will go back in a couple of months to get my permanent dentures once my gums heal. I mean it when I say, "I could not have done it without this forum!" You are all a great group of people who lend hugs and support to others. I wish you all the best. I'm not going anywhere. I will be back to check on my fellow forum friends to see how you are all coming along. God bless you all!

Last edited:

Hi! I am a newbie in this forum and I've been around reading your conversations. Congratulations Diane for the achievement you had. I know meeting a dentist isn't a thing that you will wish you'll do. But you did overcome your fear! You've inspired me so much with your story. I just wish one day, I can schedule an appointment with a dentist too.

Hi Kleeane! Welcome and thanks! It took me a long, long time to get to where I am. It wasn't an easy road, but I made it and you can too. You just need to find a dentist that you can trust. Take baby steps. You can do this. I prayed alot in the last few months and had the support of friends of family. It really helps! Best of luck to you and let us know how you are coming along.

Dianne

Soooooo glad it all went well for you - 'road to recovery girl' - the way to go - keep on healing - and yes, iv sedation is THE best :)

Dianne I cant tell you how pleased I am for you - but I will, I am REALLY REALLY REALLY pleased for you whoopie!!!:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::jump::jump::jump::jump::hug5::hug5::hug5::hug5: So as you can see I am so pleased for you and really proud of you. You did good girl. Have plenty of rest and take very good care of yourself. Oh and did I say :welldone:

Dianne I cant tell you how pleased I am for you - but I will, I am REALLY REALLY REALLY pleased for you whoopie!!!:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::jump::jump::jump::jump::hug5::hug5::hug5::hug5: So as you can see I am so pleased for you and really proud of you. You did good girl. Have plenty of rest and take very good care of yourself. Oh and did I say :welldone:

Thanks, Carol! I appreciate that! Still have a ways to go, but I'm getting there! Good luck to you!:)

I'm glad it went so well. Relax and enjoy lots of nice soft healing food! Well done!

Just to let you know you are in our thoughts Dianne, wishing you good recovery :flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:

UPDATE! Well, it will be a week tomorrow since I had my extractions. Overall, I am feeling good. I had no pain or swelling with the surgery, but it is hard getting used to all this plastic in my mouth. My top partial makes me gag when I try to eat with it in, so when I'm at home I take them out to eat. I haven't ate too much in the last week, but I'm getting better with that. I go for my post op appointment this Thursday so I guess I'll find out when I should be receiving my permanent partials. Just wanted to give you all an update and thank you all for all of your kind words and support. I sincerely couldn't have done it without you! Good luck to you all and God bless!

Well lets celebrate one week :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: I am so pleased you haven't had any problems. You have done really well up to now.

Good luck for Thursday:clover::clover::clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Thats great Dianne, I am so pleased to hear from you. I have had my partials since I was 11years old and believe me I know they feel HUGE in your mouth at first but you will get used to them, and of course the permanant ones will fit much better. You have been so brave Dianne, well done you! :jump::jump::bear::bear::jump::jump:

Back