• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Update on RC and worries ;(

S

Stormclouds12

Gosh this has been rough. I created a new post but for reference, the original was here
For an update on the rc visits, please skip to the bottom.. I’ve included my experience with Halcion

I finished the 3 rc visits (tooth #31) and went to my general dentist today. He wanted to place the permanents on both teeth 30 and 31, bc of the way they have been made. Tooth 30 was so sensitive - but not sure if it needs a rc or not ..when I first went for consult, the endo checked both and it was 31 it appeared (as tooth 31 just got done with rc). My endo said probably 30 won’t need one, but wait a week or so with the temporary crown and then it would be okay to place permanent. Well I had no issues all weekend, but I also haven’t been eating on my right side at all (the last month, since all this started).

Anyway, today my dentist was trying to fit the crown on 30 first, but I was feeling so so sensitive and got so anxious, was sweating. Just not a good experience. They would push down and it would feel so painful bc of the sensitivity. When I would bite down, it felt high but also was just uncomfortable and really sensitive. I’ve had crowns before but never felt sensitive when trying to bite down on the blue paper. But then it went away when they removed the crown.
He was crunched for time and wasn’t as patient as normal which made me more anxious - made me cry on the spot. I've known him for many years so I gave the benefit of the doubt. He said he couldn’t place 31 permanent bc both crowns go together in the way they were made in the lab. Then he said it has been a month and maybe the crowns won’t fit anymore. So of course that made me more scared.
So he ended up making a new temp crown for both teeth and scheduled me in 3 weeks, as the last appt of the day so they can take their time, and he said they will numb me up to get this done on both teeth and recommended a sedative this time. However, the Halcion makes me sleepy so I’m not sure if that’s a good idea since there is no mouth block. He didn’t numb me today. Even taking the temp off today was really really sensitive. Is this normal?

I am in anxious agony bc I don’t know if tooth 30 needs a rc. 😢 for an anxious person, it’s constantly waiting to see if/when the pain will hit and it’s the worst feeling. This whole process has been eating at me for one month and it’s still continuing.

I’m feeling sensitive in that area now but it could be bc they were attempting work on it today, or gums? @Gordon considering the situation, how long should I wait to see if the tooth settles, considering both teeth have had some things going on, with 31 being completed this past Friday? Is what I’m feeling “normal”? Should I try to eat on that right side eventually? I’ve avoided it all month and am scared to. He also didn’t put temp cement because he said the temporary crown has a really good fit and most likely will be okay. I can attest to that I think, bc when the assistant took off the temp twice to file it down..the removal was really uncomfortable, discomfort and sensitive. I think that’s the best way to describe it..it didn’t hurt but was discomfort. Temp clicked in place each time pretty tight (so I hope it’ll be okay during this time). So I have to wait 3 weeks now (or sooner if I feel pain). Both teeth are under one crown to give it more support, is what the dentist said Thank you for being an extra person we can ask questions to.

Also, if anyone who reads this has ANY suggestions on how to manage anxiety during this wait period, please advise. it’s that anticipation and I think only anxious people understand how bad it can get :(

RC:
I survived the three rc visits (it was one tooth) with Halcion. One tab. I know I did a thorough search here on peoples experiences but didn’t come across much so I thought I would post about my experience. I’ve never taken anything for anxiety before but after the consult, my endo recommended I take one tablet of the Halcion, 1.5 hours before. It really did help. I was aware of what they were doing but I didn’t feel scared. I was sooo nervous about the dental dam and mouth block, but it was manageable. I truly owe it to my endo bc he was so patient and took his time at the consult to explain every bit of things, including my many anxiety-ridden questions. The dental dam I didn’t even notice, but my first visit - the mouth block took 10 minutes bc I kept shoving it out :/ eventually I relaxed enough to let them start. Honestly, with the medication, it was fine. I listened to music as well and he said at the last visit, I fell asleep for a bit. I know this seems contradictory, considering how scared I am of getting another root canal..and I’m sitting here trying to understand myself as well. Maybe it's just the unknown space right now.. the not knowing which way it's going to go. Gosh it's been a long month. Thankful for this outlet.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'll try to unpick this as best I can. If I miss something can you let me know.
1) Getting the temp crown off and a permanent fitted without local, it would really surprise me if it wasn't painful. The fact that it was is a good sign that the nerve in the tooth is OK. I don't see any reason why it would need endo in the near future but that's a bit of a guess without looking at it
2) I would be happier removing the temp and fitting the crowns if you had some local. If you can't manage this without sedation then fair enough, but you'd get a better job done if you were numb first.
3) If there's no temp cement then possibly there will be a small amount of leakage through the temp crowns, so a little bit of sensitivity to cold and sweet (especially chocolate!) would be normal and not a bad sign

Hope this helps a bit!

@Gordon Gordon, thank you so incredibly much for the explanations. You explained more in points 1 and 2 than my dentist. He suggested since I had pain/sensitivity with the crown off, that maybe I should see endo to get a RC so I don’t have to worry about it. So that’s why I was wondering if that pain/sensitivity meant something was wrong with the tooth. And I know my endo is on the side of we need to be 95% sure a tooth needs a RC before doing it..which im thankful for. And at my last rc visit when he was finishing up tooth 31, the endo said tooth 30 probably didn’t need a rc but give it a week or so with the temporary.

So when you explained that without local, it would be typical to feel what I felt, that helped a lot. And it’s also given me time to think and consider that I actually don’t think I want to take the sedative and be in the state I was in with the RC because 1) the rc didn’t involve me much .. it was the endo doing his job and also 2) I want to be aware of the crown fit..as much as I can be, even if I’m numb. Which I think I should still be able to determine, correct? So I can sense if something doesn’t feel right, and I can also check the bite and if it’s high despite numb? The dentist was numbing the tissue the other day, but not the tooth.. which im not sure why. As I recall, I think I’ve been numb before when removing temp and placing a permanent so I’m not sure why he didn’t do it this time. Would it have something to do with the rc? For packing the tooth that had the rc done, is there a reason why I would need to *not* be numb?

If I insist on being numb with local, he should be able to do that. And I think my nervousness and shaking would be serverely lessened, knowing I won’t feel the same pain I felt on Monday, and avoid being sedated bc I feel like this is something I need to be aware during! Do most dentists give local for this process?

So moving forward when I go back to him in a few weeks, I’ll let him know my thoughts on why I chose not to take the Halcion and also ask that he numb me (including both teeth) so I can be comfortable for the temp crown removal and the placement of both permanent crowns.

And also, thank you for explaining point 3! I’m afraid to eat on that side anyway so I’m trying to keep it all on the left side (it’s been a month and counting). I am too scared to eat on the right but also maybe need to try?

So grateful for this forum and your insight!

@Gordon

2) I want to be aware of the crown fit..as much as I can be, even if I’m numb. Which I think I should still be able to determine, correct? So I can sense if something doesn’t feel right, and I can also check the bite and if it’s high despite numb?
Yes, you'd be able to tell if it was a bit out, a very slight discrepancy might be a bit tougher but you could always go back for a small adjustment later if this was the case.

The dentist was numbing the tissue the other day, but not the tooth.. which im not sure why. As I recall, I think I’ve been numb before when removing temp and placing a permanent so I’m not sure why he didn’t do it this time. Would it have something to do with the rc? For packing the tooth that had the rc done, is there a reason why I would need to *not* be numb?
Numbing the tissues is usually because you want to move the gums out of the road a bit to get a better impression for the crown, or do a little bit of gum reshaping.
I used to let the patient decide what they wanted, some folks would rather a little bit of discomfort on getting the crown fitted instead of being numb for hours, whereas others wouldn't. If it was a big job involving a lot of crowns then I wouldn't usually ask, just get the local done.

If I insist on being numb with local, he should be able to do that. And I think my nervousness and shaking would be serverely lessened, knowing I won’t feel the same pain I felt on Monday, and avoid being sedated bc I feel like this is something I need to be aware during! Do most dentists give local for this process?
See above. Can't speak for most dentists, just me!

@Gordon Thank you again for the replies. It makes sense to me now to be numb, considering it's 2 crown placements side by side.. and the fact that one tooth is still sensitive. I have made up my mind that I will not take the Halcion and just let him know that numbing me will be best so I won't panic like last time (which in retrospect, after hearing the process, makes sense why I was so uncomfortable and nervous in pain).

I feel confident that I can do this with local because it makes no sense anymore to be sedated for something I need to be a part of. And knowing I can still determine some part of the bite is helpful. I cannot thank you enough for your insight, wisdom, and input on this board. Will keep this thread updated once I go in to the appt in a few weeks!

Good for you, being able to fully participate in the process will be helpful for the dentist too, it's a major PITA fitting crowns on sedated patients for several reasons, much better if they're fully with it.

Best of luck with the fitting appointment and I look forward to good news from your update :)

That's what I was thinking too - I'm not sure if my dentist was just frustrated in the moment and said I should be sedated next time. But also, I wonder why he didn't think like hey, she's uncomfortable and anxious bc I haven't given her any LA.

Thank you for the luck and all of your advice, and I will update in a few weeks!

I’m back to report an update. I didn’t take sedation but I did ask him to numb me. So it wasn’t the worst thing but just a tad uncomfortable. Once the numbing wore off, i was in pain but thankfully the next day it was okay. It’s been a week now and I have a full ache on the right side. I can’t imagine it’s the Rc. My cheek looks as though I’ve bit it so maybe that? Or my concern is tooth 30 and maybe that needs a rc, idk. He said he drilled a little more on tooth 30 bc he saw a cavity that he didn’t see earlier in July when this all started. It’s not pain I’m feeling, more of just discomfort I guess. It’s been one week so I’m not sure. It’s not the pain I felt with the other tooth 31 rc.. that was constant. Could it be the tooth settling and that’s why?

Or your TMJ flaring a bit because of being open for ages, or you've bitten your cheek when you were numb... can you describe the pain a bit? Can't help without knowing a bit more.

It looks like I’ve bit my cheek (I can still see marks there) - it’s been 8 days post appt. I also see some red/bruise like marks at the back (ecchymosis is what my sis, who is a Dr, said it looks like, but dental stuff is not her expertise). The pain is more discomfort and is hard to pinpoint but I’m thinking it’s these areas. I pressed the back gum and it’s a little tender but not painful. I think it’s more the cheek area. Does that also take long to heal?

Last edited:
i do think the discomfort/dull ache is at the back of tooth 31 (the RC tooth) but at the gum area, where my old wisdom tooth was. I’m not sure if that’s irritated due to the placement of the permanent crown? I don’t think the ache is at tooth 30 bc when I press the gum area, it feels tender

If the pain was from biting your cheek or irritation from the crown fit then I'd kind of expect it to be healed by now. If it's getting better then happy days and forget about it. If it's staying exactly the same then contact your dentist for another look.

Okay that sounds good - thank you! It’s getting better so fingers crossed. Your words of advice always appreciated!

Back