• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

update on unnecessary surgery

  • Thread starter Thread starter qweety
  • Start date Start date
Q

qweety

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2010
Messages
20
Hello everyone. I posted once before. but I feel I need to update what has happened
regarding my unnecessary surgery.

In very breif.
I was given a filling in a healthy tooth , inside surface of a front incier ( front tooth)
I was wise to it, as I use a dental mirror. She said the filling was to fill an indent. That had been there for 25 years. No consultation or consent. And this filling was a great big lump on the inside of my front tooth, right where my tongue rests. Very awkward indeed. Not even a good job. She told me to put my tongue to the other side of my mouth if it was uncomfortanble!!! absolutely incredible.

Update.
finally after a long time I found the courage to go back, I have serious anxiety problems. My heart was beating very hard. The dentist in question does not work there any more, in fact the whole team have gone and now there are new people under the same name. I was not told why. In a way I was relieved. But I also wanted a face to face at the same time.

However I went In to the surgery and allowed an inspection. I asked to see the record of my previous visit. On the record it states there was decay on my tooth!! So the nurse and/or dentist actually lied on my report.

I told the dentist that this was not true and said what really happened, she said to write to the manager.

So I am about to do this but am unsure if my demands/request is to over board for the nhs?

What I really want , because this is on the end of my tongue, is this filling (that should not be there) reduced in size and replaced with the smallest amount of gold. And also a good will settlement.

But at the same time I do not like to demand and with so many people claiming this and that for compensation, I do not want to be placed in that category for a second. My claim is genuine I hope they have web cams in the surgery, but I doubt if they do it will used as evidence.

my teeth are very well documented as I have had maxillofacial surgery, I have had photos, molds, xrays, you name it. So the indent of my front tooth is on record. But It is so simple for a dentist to put decay on a report.

Is it just me? or do others think that in this technological age where a web cam costs £10 and every surgery has a computer , that every operation should be recorded? photos of tooth before and after?

When we go to hospitial we are first consulted and we sign forms before the operation. then we have treatment. But Dentists just go for the drill. Well mine did and I have been suffering from it ever since.

I feel sick to complain, i really do , i have to cycle past the place each day !!! errgg its horrible. the new staff seem very polite though. another reason why i dont want to complian , its not there fault.

Are my demands within reason? should i include them in my initial letter?

thanks for any help.

: )
 
You need to complain about the dentist that did the work on your front tooth, if you get her registration number as well they will need it. You can get this from the GDC site you type in the dentist name and it should come up. As it is new staff at the practice it will not effect them if you complain as they haven't done anything wrong.

Your problem and complaint is with the dentist that lied on your record, which is a serious offence and filed your tooth.

Let us know how you get on. This is not your fault and don't let anyone make you feel it is. :)
 
You need to complain about the dentist that did the work on your front tooth, if you get her registration number as well they will need it. You can get this from the GDC site you type in the dentist name and it should come up. As it is new staff at the practice it will not effect them if you complain as they haven't done anything wrong.

Your problem and complaint is with the dentist that lied on your record, which is a serious offence and filed your tooth.

Let us know how you get on. This is not your fault and don't let anyone make you feel it is. :)



hello

thanks very much, yes indeed, good idea to ask for the registration number and or name of the dentist in my intiial letter, as I was never told her name. All my appointments came by txt message and there was never any mention of a dentist name. So yes i need to find this out.

If their response to my request of a smalll gold fiilling is denied ( simply as it is the least toxic), i shall contact the primary care trust to contiune my compliant.

i have worded that my complaint is not directed at the new staff in the first paragraph. They did seem very nice. makes me feel ill to complain, but i must rememeber: it is not directed at them.


thanks again Carole .

and have a nice weekend: )
 
You are welcome. It is a horrible position to be in, I have found cause to complain myself recently and it has caused stress I don't need but if we don't speak up then bad treatment will continue to be given.

There are a lot of very good dentists out there and it makes their job much harder, it also doesn't make us feel too good either.
Gold might not be the best filing material for the back of a front tooth, maybe a white filing might be better. It would be up to you and your dentist to discuss and decide upon. I wish you luck and I hope you get sorted.
Pm me if I can be of any further help to you.

Good luck and best wishes :xmastree::plays::xmastree:
 
Back
Top