• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upper partial or full denture

B

B.L.

I've lost most of my teeth due primarily to an auto accident in my early teens. I've had extensive dental work done and it still terrifies me. Now I'm also frightened of making a wrong decision. It is exhausting. I have only three upper teeth 13, 14, and the tooth opposite 13. A clasp broke on my current partial and 13 and 14 both need new crowns. They currently have connected crowns and one has some decay around it. I have worn an upper partial since I was 14 years old. I would prefer to have a full upper denture. My dentist wants to do two new crowns and repair the clasp on the partial. I need to consider my lower teeth which were also badly damaged in the accident. Can you please offer me some guidance of direct me with some considerations that I would not know to even ask or think.
Thank you in advance,
BL

What age are you, that would influence my advice quite a bit...

What age are you, that would influence my advice quite a bit...
I am 70 yo. The accident crushed both jaws and knocked out or broke every tooth. This still terrifies me.

Thanks. At your age I'd be tending towards the denture option, but they do take some getting used to which gets harder as you get older... sorry for being casually ageist :)

Thanks. At your age I'd be tending towards the denture option, but they do take some getting used to which gets harder as you get older... sorry for being casually ageist :)
Age is reality. I am hoping that having worn partials for do long that it will be easier to get used to a denture. Thank you for your prompt response and opinion.

Back