• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Urgent advice bridge work or partial 2 teeth denture advice needed as dentist not explaing choices

T

toothiepegs

Urgent advice bridge work or partial 2 teeth denture advice needed as dentist not explaing choices

I will soon have 2 teeth missing.

where one tooth there was a bridge which was cemented onto the tooth in front with a metal wing, the tooth there had a crown I believe metal rod that keeps falling out.

They both keep failing, so I went back to the dentist as had lost filling in other tooth, that was main reason as food getting stuck

ANyway he says my tooth which had the crown has to come out, not much of a toot there to be honest, he said its starting to decay.

He said a bridge to fit on either side, isn't available on nhs? as I will soon have 2 teeth missing

he said alternative on nhs was partial 2 teeth denture, but have a full plastic palette.

Can I get a partial metal denture on nhs? as I know I wont be able to manage something covering whole roof of mouth as know I will be sick.

im devasted I lost my tooth yrs ago due to being attacked and to think at 45yrs old I have to wear a denture.

My dentist doesn't fill me with confidence, first time there and nervous, moved to Scotland.

He cemented my bridge to other tooth without cleaning it had been in my purse, I never gave it any thought
till after was so nervous.

I worry how he will do fillings and extract the old teeth that had crown, and to make me more frightened he was difficult to understand

Re: Urgent advice bridge work or partial 2 teeth denture advice needed as dentist not explaing choic

"He said a bridge to fit on either side, isn't available on nhs? as I will soon have 2 teeth missing

he said alternative on nhs was partial 2 teeth denture, but have a full plastic palette.

Can I get a partial metal denture on nhs? as I know I wont be able to manage something covering whole roof of mouth as know I will be sick."

If you have been accepted as an NHS patient then the above treatments are available on the NHS provided you are a suitable candidate. For this, I mean the remaining teeth supporting the bridge must be of adequate quality.

A partial metal denture is also available on the NHS.

If you are not comfortable with this dentist then I would ask him to explain what your options are and why you are not suitable. If you are still not satisfied, then the next step would be to find another dentist.

If you are not comfortable with him and lack confidence then your relationship already is not on a good start.

Re: Urgent advice bridge work or partial 2 teeth denture advice needed as dentist not explaing choic

Hi I am an nhs patient and I had a front bottom tooth removed about 6 months ago, my dentist gave me a partial denture to allow my gums to shrink and settle down after removal of the tooth. She did say it could be done straight away but I would be left with a gap under the tooth due to shrinkage. So I went with the partial for 6 months as I mentioned and last week she did a bridge to cover the gap. So the thinks gentledental mentioned are most certainly available to you.

Go and find another dentist and see what they say, explain that you would prefer a bridge and see what they offer you. If there is a valid sounding reason for them not to do it then fine but get a third opinion if you are not happy with the second dentists opinion.

Don't just settle for treatment you don't want if there is an alternative you can have.

Back