• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very bad Tartar buildup

B

bigchicken12

I'll be honest haven't seen a dentist in over a decade and during my uni years I didn't take any care of my teeth. As a result I have some very bad Tartar buildup on my lower jaw which seems to be centering around my front 4/5 teeth. One tooth in particular has it so bad it goes all the way down to the bottom of my jaw and wraps underneath and I'm kind of worried that that if I go in for a cleaning I could lose the tooth.

When I tried to explain this to the receptionist last time I tried to book a cleaning and she totally blew me off about it. Are my concerns valid or is it a case of if it was gonna go it would have gone?

I'm not a dentist, but the tartar is not what's holding your tooth in your mouth. A cleaning will only help because it will help to make your gums healthier which is the very best thing to do to prevent tooth loss. Most people have a lot of difficulty keeping the middle bottom teeth clean because that is where saliva collects and they can also be difficult to brush.

I think that the best thing to do would be to go for a cleaning :)

I'm not a dentist, but the tartar is not what's holding your tooth in your mouth. A cleaning will only help because it will help to make your gums healthier which is the very best thing to do to prevent tooth loss. Most people have a lot of difficulty keeping the middle bottom teeth clean because that is where saliva collects and they can also be difficult to brush.

I think that the best thing to do would be to go for a cleaning :)

Tottaly agree i Had the same thing I had 7 fillings and a cleaning :grin::grin::grin:I'm scared to fall aspleep and wake up in discomfort the only. Down side to what I went through

Last edited:
Fillings should not cause discomfort. You may have a little discomfort from the cleaning, but nothing that over the counter medication (ibuprofen or tylenol) won't help.

Fillings should not cause discomfort. You may have a little discomfort from the cleaning, but nothing that over the counter medication (ibuprofen or tylenol) won't help.

Thanks for the heads up

cheers for the reassurance booked myself in but 6 week wait list oh the joys of living in the London commuter belt. On the plus side bought myself a water pick and whilst im fairly convinced this is a medieval torture method its knocked some pretty good chunks of tartar off

Great work!!! Please keep us updated on how it goes.

Back