• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very bad teeth support needed

K

Kerry24

Hi I'm 28 from about 10 years ago my teeth just started breaking mainly each time I was pregnant I have missing teeth all cracked/chipped my bottem teeth aren't too bad it's the top I feel ashamed to open my mouth I do everything to cover my mouth when possible I avoid talking to people it's awful I feel quite down about it at the moment last time I went to the dentist she was horrible and Basically said they all red coming out and having dentures which I really don't want but I know I'm probably Ginn have to unless I go private but that would cost £10,000 for implants which I can not afford but going to a dentist is such a fear just all of it the work the way they judge you for having bad teeth the embrassment I just don't know what to do

Hi Kerry24,

sorry to hear about your situation, especially that you got treated so unkindly after having plucked up the courage to see a dentist! I understand your fear and discouragement.

Every kind dentist knows that embarrassment is a huge topic and that dealing with a dental visit after a long time doesn't only have to do with the fear but also with feelings of shame and embarrassment. The dentist you have seem was one that obviously isn't very interested in treating nervous patients. A good caring dentist will try hard to make you feel welcomed and will do his best to put you at ease and help you. You are doing something very brave and deserves help and support, not judgment.

Finding the right dentist sometimes takes some time, but I can only encourage you to keep looking. If you have the possibility to go private, at least for a check-up, it might be a good option to do so just to get clarity about what needs to be done and what your options are. The dentist can also help you to prioritize and spread the costs. If going private is not possible, then just keep on looking for a good nhs dentist, I am sure there must be a kind one somewhere too. The most important part would be to find a place that makes you feel comfortable.

Here is a link about the fear of embarrassment from the common fears section:
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/embarrassment/

Hope it can help you to gain a different perspective and encourage you to keep looking for a good dentist. Again, facing your fear is a very brave and courageous thing and you deserve only kind support on your way!

All the best wishes and keep us posted. :)

I went to the dentist she was horrible and Basically said they all red coming out and having dentures which I really don't want but I know I'm probably Ginn have to unless I go private but that would cost £10,000 for implants

As Enarete says you need to find a nicer dentist first. However to keep the teeth you've got for as long as possible, you might benefit from treatment from a hygienist. Was any kind of cleaning offered at all? Sometimes even at NHS practices you have to pay privately for this but it is not that expensive. It is even possible to self-refer to a hygienist in some parts of the UK now and that might give you the benefit of a second opinion. It would be unusual for none of your teeth to be salvageable so I wouldn't necessarily believe what you have been told to date. Do your teeth currently give you any pain?

Back