• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

very sore in local injection sites

Z

zombiegroupie

i had some extractions yesterday. my broken #31 molar and also a bottom front tooth. i had a lot of injections of carbocaine and some of the needle spots are really sore. is there anything else i can do for this?

Not a dentist...but, If you are taking ibuprofen for the pain or are supposed to be rinsing with salt water, I find those things help with any injection site soreness. Otherwise, I find, for me, it goes away on its own after a couple of days.

Won't last long at all

i had some extractions yesterday. my broken #31 molar and also a bottom front tooth. i had a lot of injections of carbocaine and some of the needle spots are really sore. is there anything else i can do for this?

I've had a lot of root canal treatment over the past 18 months and because I have problems with my lower teeth not always being properly numb, I always end up having quite a few injections, so I sometimes have this problem too.

It will go away with time - the areas where you had the injections are just a bit sore and irritated, so it usually calms down after a few days by itself (from my own experience).

In the meantime, one thing I found helpful was to rub a bit of Bonjela (like an adult version of teething gel, but it's for mouth ulcers and contains ingredients to reduce inflammation and also fight infection) on the areas where I'd had the injections. I don't know where you are from, so I don't know whether you'd be able to buy Bonjela (it's available from most chemists and supermarkets in the UK). However, in my case, I'd had root canal treatment, not extractions, so it's a good idea to check with your dentist first before using anything other than your usual toothpaste.

Hope this helps and that you feel better soon :).

Thank you! I've noticed it toned down today extraction sites are sore but the injection sites aren't so bad.

I need a lot of shots on the bottom too :( damn it hurts afterwards. lol

I am using salt water rinse and then Peridex rinse too.

Back