• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very weird reply from my dentist . Should I trust her ?

A

Alexistired

Ok last year I had to redo the deepest filling I got . There were some complications during the procedure , the tooth took 6 months to heal but in the end it never healed 100% bc there’s like this little spot between two teeth that sometimes - hurts when I chew certain types of food .

The dentist told me a piece is missing right there in that spot and tried to reattach it twice but unsuccessfully . It’s been a year and that part of the tooth still hurts , well I don’t always notice bc it only happens sporadically and with certain foods meaning if the right piece ends up in the right spot it really hurts for 1 second or two . The dentist performed X rays on me multiple times and other tests and said the scan is perfectly clear : no cavities no issues and she said the tooth will forever stay like this - if I want she can perform a root canal although she doesn’t suggest it bc there’s no infection no cavities nothing and the tooth is alive and she asked if I can chew on the center of the tooth which I can.

How do you explain the fact It will forever stay like this , which is what the dentist told me , but at the same time it’s not infected and there’s no cavities ? What’s causing it to hurt if a certain spot is touched ?
Should I trust my dentist ? So many questions and I’m so confused . She said nothing can be done just a root canal if I wish but it’s not mandatory . The tooth appears to be perfectly normal from the outside . Should I just move on and live my life or is this dangerous ?

How do you explain the fact It will forever stay like this , which is what the dentist told me , but at the same time it’s not infected and there’s no cavities ? What’s causing it to hurt if a certain spot is touched ?
Should I trust my dentist ? So many questions and I’m so confused . She said nothing can be done just a root canal if I wish but it’s not mandatory . The tooth appears to be perfectly normal from the outside . Should I just move on and live my life or is this dangerous ?
The inner part of the tooth (dentine) has little tubes running through it from the pulp (the "nerve") to the join with the outer part (enamel). These little tubes carry nerve fibres. These nerves are stupid, they only carry pain receptors, not hot/cold/sweet or anything else useful, just pain. If anything stimulates them then "pain" is sent back.

There is obviously a small part of the inner dentine of the tooth exposed. It's possible that this will improve over time, if the nerve is sufficiently stimulated then it can build a sort of wall to seal itself in from the outside.

Nothing dangerous will happen.

The inner part of the tooth (dentine) has little tubes running through it from the pulp (the "nerve") to the join with the outer part (enamel). These little tubes carry nerve fibres. These nerves are stupid, they only carry pain receptors, not hot/cold/sweet or anything else useful, just pain. If anything stimulates them then "pain" is sent back.

There is obviously a small part of the inner dentine of the tooth exposed. It's possible that this will improve over time, if the nerve is sufficiently stimulated then it can build a sort of wall to seal itself in from the outside.

Nothing dangerous will happen.
Thank you for the reply , I understand now . That would also explain why I never feel sensitivity
Thank you

Back