• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very worried and confused - please help lovely people

C

Caramelteach

Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

I suffer from severe anxiety, agoraphobia and panic attacks, so feel really proud of getting myself to 2 dentists about this!

I've been having trouble with my bottom right lateral incisor for a while now. I've been to 2 different dentists who have both x-rayed it and said they can see nothing wrong - no signs of decay, infection or cracks. It is a very strange sensation just in the very top of the tooth, like a pin being stuck in the top at the back and I can also feel pain under my chin (not the jawbone), which I assume is probably because that is where the nerve is linked. It does twinge when I press on the back of the tooth in this spot. The dentist today did a cold sensitivity test and found that the tooth in question has a delayed reaction to cold, but she seemed very perplexed because the x-rays show nothing. She said the only thing she could think of to do would be a root canal (which freaked me right out!), but didn't want to something like that to a healthy tooth. She also mentioned something about mild pulpitis.

I'm just constantly obsessing about it because I can feel the pain under my chin most of the time and it's making me miserable. :cry:

Is this just something I'm going to have to live with? Any ideas from you dentisty-type people out there?

UPDATE;

Have got an appointment to see the dentist again tomorrow, although apparently he told the receptionist that he doesn't think he will be able to anything. He told her there is the possibility of giving me antibiotics, but doesn't think they will help anyway. Apparently he has written a referral letter to the hospital, but I don't know what for.

I've now got to somehow get myself together enough for yet another trip :cry:

Last edited:
Could be occlusal trauma from your bite being a bit off on that tooth, did he check that? Usually involves bits of coloured paper and biting in strange positions :)

Could be occlusal trauma from your bite being a bit off on that tooth, did he check that? Usually involves bits of coloured paper and biting in strange positions :)

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes, I did have that, but that again is weird because there is no contact with that tooth. I'm beginning to think I'm losing the plot! As I sit here typing this now, I can feel the pain under my chin - it's like a shooting pain. I've taken paracetamol, but it hasn't done anything.

Ever had a bump on that part of your mouth? Did the dentist do an electric pulp test (not nearly as bad as it sounds!!!) or just cold?

Caramelteach,
I am having the same problem you are having..I've been to 4 dentists who all took xrays, had the electric pulp test and cold tests done.. I still get tingly , itchy , sometimes painful sensations in my two bottom front teeth..I was told I had an overactive nerve or a nerve problem. The dentists wont help me and suggested I see a neurologist, which I did. The neurologist ran numerous tests and said I DID NOT have a nerve problem..I relayed the info back to my dentist and he saidthe teeth are fine...The neurologist gave me amitriptyline for the pain in my teeth which doesnt really help much..Ibuprofen does though...Good luck finding out what is wrong..Please post when you find out anything....

Hi Caramelteach,
It is very frustrating when you have chronic pain and no one seems to be able to help. Having read your posts my take on the situation would be this:
The main thing is there is nothing sinister going on. If the pain is tooth related then the worst case scenario is that it will slowly get worse but will then be identifiable to the dentist who will be able to institute the correct treatment with confidence that it will solve the problem. It may be the pain is being referred to that tooth from another tooth. If this is the case, eventually it will locate to the correct tooth.
Another possibility is that you have something called atypical facial pain (now called something like face pain of obscure origin). This type of pain is a very real pain but no physical cause is immediately apparent. It is often seen in people who have the psychological problems you described in for first post. This is the reason you have been referred to the dental hospital. They will be able to assess this possibility as well. They may well try you on something like amitriptyline like they did with lillyh. On the other hand the eperts there may be able to find a tooth related cause.
May advise would be to hang on in there. This will eventually pass one way or another. Focus on that thought and let us know how you get on.
Best wishes

Lincoln

Caramelteach,
I am having the same problem you are having..I've been to 4 dentists who all took xrays, had the electric pulp test and cold tests done.. I still get tingly , itchy , sometimes painful sensations in my two bottom front teeth..I was told I had an overactive nerve or a nerve problem. The dentists wont help me and suggested I see a neurologist, which I did. The neurologist ran numerous tests and said I DID NOT have a nerve problem..I relayed the info back to my dentist and he saidthe teeth are fine...The neurologist gave me amitriptyline for the pain in my teeth which doesnt really help much..Ibuprofen does though...Good luck finding out what is wrong..Please post when you find out anything....
Lillyh- glad you found your own way to help with the pain, sorry you are still having issues. I don't know if you remember me, catnut, I had my wisdom tooth out 1 week ago, went well and I went for my week checkup today and my dentist said it is healing well and need to go back on the 21st for my last check-up. I do need abunch of fillings done but my regular dentist says I can wait until after I heal or even until next year to start dealing with those.

Hello Catnut,
I remember you:)I'm glad your extraction went well and you are healing! I think the healing part is the hardest sometimes..Yes. I went and saw a neurologist who said I had Atypical Odontalgia..So I take amitriptyline..Seems to help alot..But I went to get my last 3 silver fillings redone and found out one tooth was severely infected under the filling..So another extraction...I was really upset..So two more fillings to redo..Hope they arent infected..The last infection never showed up on the xrays:cry:It's nice to know you can wait to have your fillings done next year..Gives you a breather!

Hello everyone and thank you all so much for your kind words. :)

My dentist did give me antibiotics, but they didn't change anything as he suspected. He had another good look, but still couldn't find anything. I asked him if he thought it was a root canal and he said he didn't think it was. They did another percussive test, but it doesn't hurt, however it is still sensitive to hot and cold. I still have the strange pain in the soft tissue under my chin, near to the throat (at the front on the outside soft tissue) and, very occasionally, just under the clavical in my chest, all on the right hand side. It feels like I'm going mad! I suppose the good thing is that it hasn't got any worse.

Sometimes I think the sensitivity sets if off, other times I'm not sure, but I only feel the sensitivity in the top of the tooth, not all the way down.

I'm currently waiting for the hospital appointment which I feel sick to my stomach about. It's miles away and I'm agoraphobic, so I have no idea how I'm going to do it.:( I'm a blimmin' mess!:redface:

Ever had a bump on that part of your mouth? Did the dentist do an electric pulp test (not nearly as bad as it sounds!!!) or just cold?
Hi Gordon, no, no bump to it, although when I first noticed it felt weird, I did keep tapping all the time with my finger and couldn't leave it alone with my tongue! It was just the cold test that was done.

caramelteach,
My two bottom teeth are both sensitive on the top of them.Same feeling as you..But I figured along with my nerve problem my teeth hit my upper teeth sometimes and I'm a big tooth grinder at night which i think makes the very top of my teeth hurt and sore...My pain changes from day to day..One day it is a throbbing, the next day sharp pains, some days just a dull ache...I get sharp pains under my jaw also..I had a cone beam scan done and the dentist said he couldn't see anything that would cause the pain. I too was becoming depressed because chronic pain is horrible..For awhile that is all I could think about...I joined a trigeminal neuralgia forum and have talked to many people with my type of tooth pain..Hopefully your dentist can find a cause for your pain at the hospital...Can someone drive you to your hospital appointment so you wont feel so anxious???

Hi Lilly,

My dad is going to take me - it's just the thought of having to travel all that way and having panic attacks, which are utterly horrendous! The dental procedures and things aren't what bother me, it's just the thought of having a panic attack while something's being done I think.

You do sound quite similar to me. I almost wish it was in 2 teeth as well - I know that sounds really weird, but the fact that it's just on one tooth is really worrying me. I'm hoping it's just what drhirst said and that it's some kind of atypical thing going on - I know the nerves all around that area are very complex, so it could be.

I do clench, but don't grind, my teeth at night, due to the bad anxiety and panic attacks I have. and used to get bad headaches etc, but I wear a nightguard that has been brilliant and stopped all that.

I just thought I'd add that I'm in the UK by the way, and use a really lovely NHS dentist.

I always have my mom come with me! It helps to know I have someone in the waiting room..I too suffer from anxiety attacks..I have ativan for it..Once after a tooth extraction I ended up in the E.R from high blood pressure and couldn't breathe...I was told I was having a panic attack..They gave me blood pressure meds and ativan...It helped..I hate those attacks..I still have them when i think about the work I need on my teeth..My wierd pain started in one tooth..the dentists sanded it down because he thought it was hitting my top tooth pretty hard..It helped for a day or too.. But then it started right back up with the trobbing, pins and needles pain..But my other tooth hurts because it still hits the top teeth..I still think it is a tooth problem..Many cracks in teeth don't show up on xrays...So I worry the tooth will die ...I guess I'm a worry wart...Oh well my oral surgeon said take my meds for 3 weeks and I should be better..If not the tooth will "present" itself, whatever that means..Is your mouth guard a custom fit one from the dentist or a store bought one? My last dentist suggested a splint...But since you get pain in your chin/jaw area I would think it is some type of neuralgia/neuropathy...doctors say extractions. root canals, extractions can aggrevate nerves ...If a nerve was damaged I was told it could take up to a year to heal....(both my md and oral surgeon said the same thing) So I have hope I won't have to live with this pain forever...

Oh you poor thing :( No wonder you get so worried! I have 3 root canals now that I have since found out should probably never been done. The dentist has now been struck off from the UK dental registers and is no longer allowed to practise! He was doing disgusting things like using the same instruments between patients without sterilising them.:scared: I didn't find out until last year - no-one ever told me, he just disappeared one day and someone else took over from him. So I think that really knocked my confidence too.

I think what I wear is a splint - it's got plastic 2 plates at the back that go between the teeth so you can't clench them together. I got it from the Bruxism Society because it's approved by one of the dental associations in the UK. They're made by a company called 'Sleepright'.

My dentist did say to me that he was sending me to the hospital unit because he has heard of horror stories of people having teeth pulled and all sorts, when in fact it was never the tooth in the first place and so they still have the pain, even after the tooth has gone!

I worry about the exact same things you do, so don't worry (ha!) you're not alone. :) I'm holding on to the hope that it is just some kind of nerve thing - I would far rather that than my tooth dying or something nasty!

Oh my...That is Horrible!!! It's good someone found out what the dentist was doing and stopped him! I'm glad you have a nice dentist now...I'm in the U.S so I'd have to buy my splint..They are expensive at the dentist's office..Around 300.00 to 500.00...I don't have that much money..I used all my insurance money at the oral surgeons and going to 4 different dentists/4sets of xrays...(we are only allowed one set of xrays a year)to diagnose my mystery pain in my tooth. So I have used all my CareCredit too...So no dental work till next year or I pay out of pocket..Fillings are 165.00 where I go..I paid 250.00 for my last filling so I had to change dentist since that is way to much to pay...(even though he was an excellent dentist)...I know why people can't go to the dentist:cry: Too expensive..Are you going to go to a neurologist to see if you have atypical facial pain? I did..(more money LOL) He is the one who prescribed my medication..Although I think a FEW medical doctors may know about nerve pain. Hope you get results at the hospital!

Hello Catnut,
I remember you:)I'm glad your extraction went well and you are healing! I think the healing part is the hardest sometimes..Yes. I went and saw a neurologist who said I had Atypical Odontalgia..So I take amitriptyline..Seems to help alot..But I went to get my last 3 silver fillings redone and found out one tooth was severely infected under the filling..So another extraction...I was really upset..So two more fillings to redo..Hope they arent infected..The last infection never showed up on the xrays:cry:It's nice to know you can wait to have your fillings done next year..Gives you a breather!
sorry that you need another extraction. I'm still swollen so am using heat, which isn't good as it is hot where I am but am doing it. Sorry I hijacked the thread.

No worries Catnut!
the more the merrier! LOL...I used cold the day of my extraction..It helped....My gums are really sore now...Had several shots in my gums....Ibuprofen helps...Are you feeling better? Where are you located? I wish it was hot here..It has been chilly and rainy here...Hope you feel better Catnut.....

Back