• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Waking up to tongue pushing on new implant

J

Jennia

Hi,
I had full upper extractions a few years ago and just this week was finally able to afford and have enough bone for four implants (was supposed to have five, but too much bone loss when they opened up and they had to do more bone grafting and will place two more implants in a few months).

I'm very excited they were able to get four in and some grafting, and the recovery has been more painful than I anticipated, but I'm worried b/c I keep waking up at night with sharp pain due to my tongue pushing against my upper gums and inadvertently pushing on my surgical/implant sites

Is this really bad? Can I do anything to stop it? I don't want my implants to fail.

Since some implants can cope with being immediately loaded to chew on, I don't think a bit of pushing with your tongue will hurt. I would hope that it'll stop as you get used to the "new" feeling.

Back