• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Week post extraction tooth #15

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cj626
  • Start date Start date
C

Cj626

Junior member
Joined
Mar 8, 2019
Messages
15
Location
Virginia
I had tooth 15 extracted exactly 7 days ago by my oral surgeon. Tooth had a root canal and crown lengthening done... So it was a shame when it fractured. So much money, gone! Anyways I really want to get back to my normal life. Went to dentist on Wednesday because I had pain on my check turned to be a ulcer which is healing, however he said I am healing and not to use a straw or eat chewy food for another 5 days to prevent dry socket. Can someone look at this pic and tell me if I am safe from dry socket, it seems to be closed pretty much but I am terrified of dry socket but SICK of eating soft food
 

Attachments

  • 20190308_133554.png
    20190308_133554.png
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 19
Hi Cj626,

There are a lot of questions about dry socket here on the forum and you will find 4 days as the critical time for dry socket. Sounds like you are past that point (and even not too far from the 5 days that your dentist suggested on Wednesday). If the wound is closed and you have no pain then starting with some solid food shouldn‘t do any harm. Maybe you can chew mostly on the other side if you are still not sure?
 
Are you in the U.S., where tooth 15 is the upper second molar? When I had that same tooth out, the oral surgeon told me the chances of dry socket were very slim for that tooth. Looking at the picture, you are most likely out of the woods for that anyway.
 
Not a dentist but I had a tooth pulled a couple months ago, and began eating hard foods about a week later. Just take it slow and chew in smaller bites. The picture is a little hard to see, but doesn’t appear to look abnormal. Chances are at a week out you probably won’t get dry socket! Hang in there!
 
Back
Top