• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Well...I'm baaaaaaaaaaack

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marty
  • Start date Start date
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Hi Cindy,

I am soooo proud of you. I currently take Ativan and my physician has said I can increase it on the day of the appt. Sadly I cannot do the nitrous. Tried it once and had a bad reaction to it. But it is reassuring to hear a real success story. Because I got so sick...I have had to put the dentist on the back shelf and tomorrow I have to see my reg. physician for a checkup and refill on the ativan. Though we have been in touch with the dentist, they will not "see" me until they are sure that I am no longer contagious. I think it would have been easier if I had not gotten sick and had been able to go through with the first appointment. Anytime something that freaks us out is delayed....it makes the inevitable more difficult. I have been able to manage the pain and have been able to eat once again...which has been glorious. Not that I couldn't afford to lose 12 pounds:rofl:, I had forgotten what a joy solid food is. At this point, needless to say I am conflicted. Part of me says the pain is managed and you can eat so seeing the dentist is no longer a priority, and the other part is saying if I don't see him....it will get worse. Anyone with panic disorder knows we will always choose to avoid a situation that scares the feathers out of us as long as possible. Arggggggggggg. At this point I am going to get through the dr's appt tomorrow and try to go from there. But YEA for you. [smiley=jumping.gif]
Marty
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Oh, I know how that is Marty! But believe me, the pain will return. I had this pain in my tooth for about a year, but it was always on and off so I never brought it to my mom's attention. Now I suffered through pain for three weeks (it just had to get worse right before Christmas...just my luck). I had to get a root canal done, if I had gone last year when it started hurting...I'd probably just have to get a filling.

I don't mean to scare you, but maybe this will sway your decision to go now instead of waiting.
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Well I am now on antibiotics for the flu. Doc says I have to finish them and get to the point where I am no longer running a temp before doing the dentist thing. The tooth is up and down. Some days not so bad some days horrific. I have a feeling that the general dentist is going to tell me I am going to have to see an oral surgeon. I am trying to decide whether to bypass the general dentist and make an appt. with an oral surgeon. Of course going to an oral surgeon is a tough task for me. The good thing is that they will have to sedate me to remove the tooth....actually teeth...as I know that there is a wisdom tooth that has to come out, but the other side of that is the panic disorder. Sedation is a very scary procedure. Most people with panic disorder are very sensitive to medication and never really know what the effects will be, and the constant fear of not having any control. Geez I just wish this tooth would fall out on its own, or I would just wake up one morning with a bucket full of courage. Anyway that is where I am now. :'(
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I know exactly how you feel Marty about wishing the tooth would fall out on its own. In my case, a couple of my teeth were loose and I used to jig around the room, dancing to music, jumping up and down, all sorts of things hoping they might fall out, but they never did. Not that in my case it would have changed anything. I would still have had to go through extraction of the rest and the IV. As for the bucketful of courage, it will come out of nowhere at just the right time. Hope you get over the flu soon and are ready to face the dental thing and get it all over with soon.:grouphug:
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

This weekend three people suggested to me that I should just get dentures and be done with it. I have to admit their ideas sounded good at first. They said things like, just think you will never have to worry about your teeth again, or worry over a dental appointment, it would be a fresh start and you would be done. This is where the internet is helpful and confusing. I started doing some research and like many things you get mixed reviews. Some said it was the best thing they had ever done and some said it was the worse. But the overall consensus was that if it is at all possible you should make every effort to retain your natural teeth. Then I read an account of a 39 year old that had it done and she said it took over six hours to remove the teeth and five adjustments....lets just say it was not a purdy story. Initially I just wanted to get the bad tooth pulled and go on...but I don't think that is a viable resolution either, as I will have nothing but gum on the bottom...so I wouldn't have anywhere to chew. Arggggggggggggggggggggggggggg. At this point I think I am very confused (and of coursed scared to death). Hubby and I are not rich by any means and dental work is beyond expensive. Then I tell myself that I could probably have them all yanked and get dentures for about 3000.00. I always thought with age came wisdom...in this case and with me...not so much. I won't be finished with the antibiotics for another 5 days, so I have some time to mull it over. Maybe by then I golden nugget of wisdom will drop from the heavens and it will just be clear. :(
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

There's absolutely nothing wrong in having dentures, and definitely no reason to be ashamed if you get them. I have them, but I left it far too many years, such was my fear, that it was really too late to do much with my teeth. But although there was really no other option, and even though I am much older than most of you on this forum I still feel I am too young for dentures. In fact, if we looked after our teeth, did not have this irrational fear, there is no reason why any of us should need dentures.

Anyhow, what I really want to say is, though I am happy with my dentures and they look and feel quite natural (and I have been extremely lucky in this respect), no way should you say you want dentures unless there is absolutely no other way. There is nothing like having your own natural teeth. There really isn't. Besides which, a reputable dentist would refuse to take out teeth unless absolutely necessary.

Maybe by then I golden nugget of wisdom will drop from the heavens and it will just be clear. :(

Hopefully, I may be your golden nugget of wisdom and what I would say is, preserve as many of your natural teeth as possible, only having out those which absolutely have to be taken out. I know I will never have toothache, never need a filling, never need a root canal and so many other things, but I can't bite into an apple without thinking, can I do this? I can't eat corn on the cob, at least not in public. Every time I eat, in public this is, I have to think, will I be allright. I'm going on holiday now prior to my next appt. I only wish it were the other way round because I do need an adjustment for the lower so while I'm away stuffing myself with breakfasts lunches and dinners, I have to be thinking all the time, will my dentures stand it!

No, no matter how natural dentures look or feel, my goodness I wish I could turn back the clock 40 years. So, keep as many as you can, or you will regret it.:grouphug:
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I too am not the spring chicken many of the members here are. I just turned 59. Not a spring chicken....but a chicken for sure. My hubby and I actually counted the number of teeth that would have to be removed for dentures and I still have 27 teeth in my mouth that would have to taken out. The prospect of going through surgery to remove 27 teeth scares me beyond words. I like the idea of never having to worry about cavities or all the other dental concerns...but I also like to eat. One friend of mine says he can eat anything. But he only has dentures on the top and they did a partial denture on the bottom. He said that is what makes the difference. I honestly don't think a reputable denturist is going to agree with dentures anyway. As bad as some of my teeth are, I still have many that are just fine. With all the research I have done...and it has been extensive:o, I think the recomendation is most likely going to be remove the bad teeth and have a partial/bridge made. The only other option I can imagine would be implants and there is no way that we could afford them, as they run 2000.00 and implant in our area. At this point...and this could change in 30 minutes....we have purdy much decided that I will go for the first appt. with the dentist. They said on the first appointment they would do nothing but x-rays and send me home. I know that is so they can look at the mouth and come up with a treatment plan. When we see how extensive the work is and how expensive the work is...we will have to make a final decision. Regardless of the decision I am still going to have to somehow deal with the panic disorder....and that would be the case with a conventional dentist or denturist. So the decision will not in anyway have an impact on the terror I feel about going forward with this. Yet I know somehow...I am going to have to go forward. Of course unless I do wake up in the morning and tooth has just fallen out.:rofl: I think those chances are slim and none.
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

My goodness Marty, I'm quite envious, having 27 teeth still. I never had more than 28 at the best of times, but that's because small mouths seem to run in the family and we never had any wisdoms. By the time I came to have mine extracted, only 18 remained, as over the years the back ones had been disappearing. You're still younger than I am and definitely too young for full dentures so I do hope you can find a good compromise. We all go through this horrible period of not knowing what we are going to finally have done but it always works out for the best in the long run. Despite your panic disorder, I am sure you will face whatever you have to with fortitude.:grouphug:
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Did you have to get dentures? I think we have decided that instead of going to the general dentist we will start with the Prosthodontist. Because I feel relatively certain that the end result will be a bridge/partial of some kind. The general dentist does not do that and because of my panic disorder, if at all possible I need to find something as close to "one stop shopping" as possible. Of course I realize that he may still refer me to an oral surgeon for the removal of the two bad teeth, perhaps he will eliminate the process of running from pillar to post to accomplish what I need. Hubby is going to go by his office this afternoon and try to get a feel for the dentist and the office staff and perhaps find some counsel. I am still a bit uncomfortable about anyone seeing the condition of my teeth. I guess I can only hope that they have seen worse and will be compassionate. So the search goes on.:-[
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Yes I had full dentures. I'd left it for 40 years and before that had only gone when I was in agony so in all I neglected my teeth for something like 50 years. Some of my teeth might have been saveable but I wasn't brave enough to go through deep cleanings, root canals possible bone grafts or whatever and find in the end anyway they would have to go later so went the complete denture route and am so happy I did. Although terrified every step of the way, I've had some hilarious moments. If you haven't read my journal, although it got long, it's worth a read. Because I'd left it for so long my embarrassment equalled my fear, but once I opened my mouth and let someone else see the state of my teeth, the relief was enormous. Funnily enough, though I had gum disease, very red and inflamed, and signs of tartar around the teeth, their overall appearance didnt look too bad because, although yellowing with age as well as tartar, they were shaped and positioned beautifully.
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I have to agree, I'm down to 21 teeth now, and all but 5 have had some work done to them (or will have, by the time I am done with the current treatment course I am on). I'm only 30, and that was in just over 2 years without dentistry (ahh the joys of medicine side effects)! So definitely, I'd encourage you to try and preserve whatever teeth you can, if at all possible. If you'd only had perhaps fewer left and severe problems with most/all of them, then perhaps it might be a valid option to remove them all... but if most of them are healthy, then don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, as it were.

I currently have no lower molars (bar one, that currently needs a root canal and I can't eat on) or 2nd premolars, as well as no 2nd or 3rd molars on the top, but I can still definitely eat and chew. You learn to do it slightly differently, for sure, and I may well end up getting partials or something on the bottom. But I'd much rather have teeth that didn't come out. ;)

I'd find out what the dentist says first and go from there, but I think hold off for now. I am, of course, biased because I'm working through my own issues surrounding dentures as it is. :P
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Well the good news is that currently my tooth is not hurting. The bad news is that the first dentist I chose turned out not to be a good choice. I found that his staff was not compassionate or accomdating to the fear I have. Both hubby and I agreed that the staff is a reflection of the doctor and that I would most likely be better off trying to find someone else that would be a little more willing to help me through this. So the search continues. I am so limited in my choices due to the Panic Disorder and the radius of my comfort zone. But hopefully there is someone in the immediate area that can fill the shoes I have for them. Only time will tell. :(
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Well, today my tooth is hurting and have still haven't found a dentist. My husband talked to the specialist and they said they would do x-rays...but that I should probably see a sedation dentist. This of course is not within my range of ability as there are no sedation dentists anywhere close to me. I am dealing with so much...and I hate that I am whining so much. I am not only terrified of going to the dentist, I am terrified of being sedated. The one oral surgeon we have spoken to has said that my husband cannot accompany me past the waiting room. I don't know how I can get through this without some support in the room. I am going to call another oral surgeon today, don't know if they will be more liberal in this regard. Last night I was thinking that maybe I could just use the ativan to make me relaxed and get through this with novocain, but then I thought if the wisdom tooth does indeed have to be cut out, there is probably no way in the world I could sit there pain or no pain and get through it. The anesthesias they use in this area are another concern. They use versed and fentanyl together and they call it conscious sedation. I went through a "conscious sedation" situation many years ago when I was given dilaudid. It was purdy awful. Though I could not feel any pain I was aware of the surgeon pulling on my mouth and felt the instruments etc. What the drug did was to put you in a spacey stage and for me that will make me panic. One of the symptoms of Panic Disorder is depersonalization and basically that is that you feel spacey and on some level drugged...and for me that is the beginning of a panic attack. I am still somewhat managing the pain with advil and so far have been able to eat purdy well. But right now I just feel completely defeated, terrified and confused. Hubby and I just don't know where to turn next, we have talked to so many "professionals" without finding very much help. While typing this the other oral surgeon called. Condsidering the circumstances it sounds like he might be a good choice. He does not use versed, he uses fentanyl with valium. They said that they find that this combination is better than versed especially for patients that are nervous (an understatement for me) and that the recovery time is shorter from the valium. I need to make an appointment for xrays and a consultation and then we will go from there. Of course just talking to them sent my anxiety level sky high. But I am trying to concentrate on the fact that maybe after over two months I have finally found a doc that will get me through this. I will let y'all know.:'(
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Any dentist, sedationist or any health professional for that matter worth his/her salt should certainly allow the patient to have a partner/friend in with them until you are 'under'. Can't they see this would greatly help in keeping you more calm. Just can't understand why they say no. I was fully prepared to go into the room myself as I had confidence in both my dentist and the sedationist, but felt even better when they asked if my sister wanted to come in with me till I was out and it was marvellous because she was just chatting away to me as if it were just the two of us alone and before I knew it the needle was in and I was out, so to speak. I do hope you get things sorted out quickly and get the offending tooth seen to. It must be absolute agony for you, not only having to bear the pain but also all the time it has taken to get this far.
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Do you remember what meds they used to knock you out? They did say that the doctor was very easy to work with and that I should discuss this with him at the time I have the consultation. I agree...why they would have a problem I don't know. But the last oral surgeon I talked to said that they do not even allow them past the waiting room, so needless to say he was written off the list very quickly. Now I have to get up the courage to make the appt. for the consultation. I am probably going to try and do that the first of the week. They said the ballpark figure for the consultation and the surgery....if it is removing two teeth...would probably be around $800.00. That is a huge amount of money to us....but hubby says that for this procedure it is very resonable. We do have insurance but we will have to come up with it out of pocket and then apply for reimbursement....and of course it will still leave a good balance. But I guess I some point you just have to suck it up and find a way to pay for it. It is funny (not ha ha funny) I have been praying to find a good doctor that was compassionate and didn't use versed....and now that I have I am even more afraid (if that is possible) than before. But I know that I cannot continue to live on advil and a cotton ball soaked in vanilla forever. [smiley=scared.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Well I got the courage to pick up the phone and make the appointment for the consultation. It is Wednesday at high noon...how appropriate. My doctor called in a prescription for amoxicillian today. Although I am purdy much managing the pain on the tooth, now it has moved into my sinus and ear. So now on top of everything else I have a mad ear ache. Right now I am stuck in a catch 22. Part of me is actually relieved that we finally seem to have found a good doctor and the suffering will end with the surgery. Then there is the other side of me that is beyond terrified of going through the surgery. The office said they typically do the surgery the day after the consult. Accccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk. I know how badly it needs to be done...but the realization of going through it is taking its toll on my panic disorder. But then the tooth is taking its toll on my health. I am completely exhausted and I of course don't feel well physically. Hubby and I are going to do some dry runs to the surgeons office this weekend so perhaps I will be more familiar with the task come Wednesday. So good Lord willing and the creek don't rise by the end of next week I will have survived this and will finally be out of pain. From my lips to God's ears.[smiley=sick.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I know this may sound like a horrid thing to say but I always think the more agony you're in the better in a funny way because then you do sort of look forward to going to the dentist and getting the pain taken away and thinking how much better you're going to feel after just a comparatively short time of some discomfort.
And as you know, we can all stand a little pain and tell ourselves we'll leave it another day, it will disappear and its only those very big pains that make us get off our backsides and actually make the appointment, no matter how scared we are. Agony will always conquer fear!
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I completely understand what you are saying. On some level I actually wish it was more painful....and that I wouldn't even care anymore what it took to get rid of it. Of course now that they have me on antibiotics the pain is reducing more...which makes my head clearer...and my fear stronger. Not the domino effect I need. Today I am kinda having a meltdown. Not so much panic as non relenting tears. Now ain't that pathetic? I have always heard that with age comes wisdom...well the age came...I guess I am still looking for the wisdom. I know that the time between now and the first appt. is going to be a roller coaster. I am just hoping by Wednesday that the ride will have worn me out and there just want be any room for panic. And I am still uncomfortable with the people in the office even looking in my mouth...certainly is not a banner for pride. But maybe they have seen worse. I have given very specific details on the condition of my teeth...so on some level they know what to expect. But hearing is a whole lot different than seeing. Here I am again in that confused place. I soooooooo want this over with, and I soooooooooo don't want to do this. I still keep hoping I will just wake up one morning and they will have miraculously fallen out. :D So far no luck on that end. So the countdown is 5 days to high noon. Argggggggggggg [smiley=hiding.gif] me in the dentists office.
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Marty,
Tell me about your teeth. Every detail! Then I'll tell you about mine. Wanna bet mine were/are FAR worse? Maybe that will help you? I'm waiting!!!
Peace,
Susan
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Ok here it goes...but it ain't going to be a purdy picture. I have two front teeth that are almost completely gone. The offending tooth is a bottom molar that broke about a year ago and has this huge cavity in it. A wisdom tooth on the other side that came up about 1/3 through the gum and is literally rotting. Two teeth on each side at the top that have large cavities and three other front teeth that have cavities working on the teeth. Some other minor cavities that may be starting but are probably candidates for fillings. And there are some teeth that are actually still in purdy good shape. So there ya go.[smiley=sick.gif]
 
Back
Top