• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Well...I'm baaaaaaaaaaack

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marty
  • Start date Start date
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Hi Susan,
Thanks so much for the support. Are you being sedated as well? Intellectually I know how the negative thoughts take over when you have panic disorder and how we tend to listen more to them than the positive. I have a really good CD by Belleruth Naparstek, one I highly recommend to anyone with panic disorder. I plan on spending some time today just listening to it and letting her replace my bad thinking with good..it couldn't hurt. Thanks so much for the prayers...need the prayer wagon speeding down the road. I too will be praying for you...and congrats. It sounds like you are doing great. God Bless You.[smiley=jumping.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I keep trying to keep my eye on the steak. LOL We all deserve huge rewards at the end of the tunnel. The doc was great and then I find myself questioning him today. The brain can sure do a number on us.
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I keep trying to keep my eye on the steak. LOL We all deserve huge rewards at the end of the tunnel. The doc was great and then I find myself questioning him today. The brain can sure do a number on us.

From your account...despite the fact that he is hard of hearing...it sounds like he took a lot of time to allay your understandable fears. I think you are probably on to a winning team there. It's normal to feel nervous before any type of surgery/sedation...after all it is a new experience for you.
Just look forward to being painfree...maybe you could ask him to recommend an ethical non-sales pitch dentist to you, once your treatment is complete. You will be fine...really considerate giving you the first appointment etc etc :grouphug:
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

It is not 10:29 PM. and I am having a major meltdown. Trying very hard to pull it together, but struggling big time. I want to go into this with a positive attitude and need to pull it out from somewhere. Haven't found the place yet. Hope I find it some way to ground myself soon.:'(
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

What are you most concerned about?
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I think I am most afraid of the sedation. That I won't wake up. That I have no control over what is happening and that I don't know what is happening. I also keep thinking that there is no exit. That I have to go through with the appointment, because everything is in place, doc, hubby taking day off...etc. So I have no options anymore. At least before I set up the surgery, I always knew I had an out. And on top of everything else it is now about six hours before I am supposed to be there...and of course now I am hungry and thirsty and can't do anything about it.:( The thoughts and emotions are all over the place.
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I promise you you will wake up...you are talking sedation not general anaesthesia....no one dies from sedation.

I can see that you feel you have no way out...well you do but you would inconvenience lots of people if you took it and you would just be putting off the inevitable which is another scheduled sedation appt) or worse...not ever get the treatment and potentially lower the quality of your life or even shorten your life...not trying to be alarmist but going through with this really is the lesser of two/three evils.

Sedation is supposed to make this whole thing easier for you...don't try to be brave...show how you feel, shed tears because it will help reduce panic...you can do it with your OH's support...lean on him literally and it will all be ok...I promise.
:grouphug:
Hope you get this in time...you may not.
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Brit is so right, sedation will make it so much easier for you. I too was absolutely terrified at the prospect of having sedation, although it was the route I had chosen, but I would go no other way in future. In fact, in a few weeks time I will be having it again. Although it all went well for me, I will be getting myself all worked up again, silly in my case I suppose because I know how marvellous the experience is but we all all human with our irrational thoughts. YOu will do fine, you will have a little prick in either hand or arm and have a lovely sleep, no dreams, no nightmares, just perfect peace, and then you will wake up and you will feel absolutely marvellous, everything will be over and you won't even know what happened while you were asleep. Thinking of you and with you in spirit.:grouphug:
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Not waking up is from GA not I/V sedation because you are consious the whole time just not aware of whats going on and have no memory of anything. Everyone on here has been fine, I was fine and my freiend that got his wizzies out with I/V yesterday while I was in the waiting room waiting for my appointment came out awake with a piece of tape and a cotton ball on the back of his hand which is what told me he had I/V.



You will be fine and you can do it[smiley=cheers.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I'm assuming it's done and we're waiting for a good update! Hope you're doing well.
Peace,
Susan
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Let us know how you got on today Marty:grouphug: - regardless of whether you managed to go through with it or not :). Hope you're keeping well!!
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Just a short note. I did go through with it. The hour prior was purdy hard on me and poor hubby, but I made it. Doc was wonderful. Not feeling great right now, a lot of swelling and can't move my jaw to well. Kinda looks like I got into a fight. But at least now it is just a matter of rest and healing. And unlike the toothache, this part is temporary. Have two less teeth...and glad to see them gone.

I want to sincerely thank everyone on this board for the support and warm fuzzies. Y'all were a huge part of the success and I am so thankful I found this site. Thanks all. I will post more later.[smiley=hug.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Hey, check this out-- you might remember a little something along these lines.....?

I suffer from panic disorder, which means I have not been to a dentist in years. My teeth have continued to deteriorate and now I am have pain daily. Just the very thought of picking up the phone and calling a dentist brings on abject terror. I don't know how I am going to even get to the dentist....much less endure even the simpliest procedure. Not to mention the shame I have of showing my mouth to anyone. Has anyone had to deal with the double whammy of panic disorder and making it to a dentist? Any help would be very appreciated. :'(

And look at you now-- YOU DID IT!!! [smiley=jumping.gif]

It may not have been an easy journey, but just think-- you went to the dentist! You had work done! You lived to tell the tale!

I'm so proud of ya I could bust lol. Hope you're feeling a little pride in yourself too right about now! Sending lots of warm fuzzies your way.... :grouphug:
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Well done Marty, want you need now is lots of pampering, lots of rest and relaxation and lots of everything tlc related. Congrats, you can be proud of yourself.[smiley=cheers.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Congratulations...it's downhill from here onwards......[smiley=jumping.gif][smiley=party.gif][smiley=jumping.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

That's such terrific news. You have come such a long way! I hope that as you look back on this experience you realize that there's really nothing that you can't do.

Well done! [smiley=jumping.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Just a short note. I did go through with it. The hour prior was purdy hard on me and poor hubby, but I made it. Doc was wonderful. Not feeling great right now, a lot of swelling and can't move my jaw to well. Kinda looks like I got into a fight. But at least now it is just a matter of rest and healing. And unlike the toothache, this part is temporary. Have two less teeth...and glad to see them gone.

I want to sincerely thank everyone on this board for the support and warm fuzzies. Y'all were a huge part of the success and I am so thankful I found this site. Thanks all. I will post more later.[smiley=hug.gif]

I'm so happy for you! I'll bet you're glad that's over with. I had four extractions yesterday, but I guess I'm really lucky. No pain, no swelling. I'm sorry you're hurting, but just get LOTS of rest and you'll be fine in a day or so. The more you rest the faster you'll heal, so let your hubby take over for the weekend and enjoy it!!
Peace,
Susan
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Well done Marty [smiley=jumping.gif][smiley=jumping.gif]!!!!
As vict4ia said, your experience yesterday shows that there's really nothing that you can't do :). It must have been so terribly hard for you, but you did it anyway 8-)!

Wishing you a speedy recovery :grouphug:
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I am back to chronicle my experience. Recovery from the surgery took much longer than I anticipated. I am still experiencing discomfort where the wisdom tooth was, but I have finally moved to more solid food and am sooo thankful for that.

The morning of the surgery I had a complete meltdown. Worst panic attack I have ever had in my life. I couldn't catch my breath, felt like I couldn't swallow, and crying like a baby. At first I just wanted to tell hubby, call the doc and tell him I just can't do this. But instead he called the doc and told him what I was going through. The doc told him if we were a little late it was not a problem and for me to take an ativan and take some time. I took the ativan and tried to get dressed, comb my hair and brush my teeth the whole time shaking like crazy. I kept saying to myself that y'all were right there with me and would go with me and somehow all of us would get through this.

On the way to the dentist I felt frozen, the fear had just taken hold and I couldn't seem to get past it. When we got to the doc's office the whole group was there to meet me, with smiles and support. The doctor gave me a hug and told me I was the bravest person he knew. All I could think of was....yea right.

They put me in the chair and started hooking all this stuff up to me and the panic rose again. But the technician handling the anesthesia was so fast I started calming down right away. They used valium and I was completely asleep for the surgery. I was in there by 7:10 AM and home by 9:30.

A funny little aside...at one point I was in this twilight state, not asleep but not functional either. I could hear them talking. I heard the doctor talking to my hubby about his business (hubby is a fire and security alarm professional) The doc is saying he isn't completely happy with the company he is using and he would like to talk to hubby about changing. I am sitting in the chair thinking, "Are you freakin kidding me...hello....patient here." But I guess the good news is hubby got a new client out of deal.:D

The last week has been tough. I have had a lot of pain, mainly because I am sensitive to so many meds, there really wasn't much they could give me. So doc told me to take 3 Advil every four hours. It did help, but never broke the pain completely. The wisdom tooth required a lot more surgery than the doctor had anticipated and it is taking it the longest to heal.

I'll tell y'all what....this has cured me of ever wanting dentures. LOL Way too much surgery.

But even with all the drama, I got through it and am healing a little more each day. I still have a lot of work to be done, like cavities and probably a bridge. But the surgeon said that none of it was an emergency and I should take some time before moving on to the next doc.

Hubby and I talked about it and he said he thought he should make some appointments for himself with his dentist and I should just go with him. Not to have anything done, but to get used to the office, the staff and some of procedures. Sounds like a good idea.

I am forever thankful for this site, and the amazing people here. I would never have found the courage to make the appt. much less go without all y'alls support. I want to thank each and every one of you and God Bless y'all.[smiley=hugging.gif]

This site is so valuable and I am so blessed to have found it. The offending teeth are gone and I lived to tell the story. [smiley=cheers.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Good to read your update. Its a shame that your recovery and progress is taking a bit longer than anticipated, but just shows hjow everyone is so different and reacts differently to things. Still the worst really is over now and you've come through it so well, a much stronger person, aren't we all, so perhaps there is a reason for our being scared in the first place so that we have to eventually face our fears and come out the other side.
 
Back
Top