• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What age did you finally face your phobia?

At what age did you return to dentistry?

• 10-19

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • 20-29

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 30-39

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 40-49

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • 50-59

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 60-69

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
T

thisisme

I’m seeing a lot of people on here returning to the dentist in their 30s, so I’m wondering if it’s a common age or if I’m just reading selective posts.

I’m 31 and it seems like I’ve matured a lot in the last few years. I’ve been feeling more like an adult and wanting to take control back in my life. What about everyone else?

I also returned at 31, and had my first courageous step finding a young gal dentist that took medicaid and was willing to work with me in kindness. Unfortunately then I was in an abusive marraige and couldn't continue to see her for personal reasons ended up going to another dentist after my divorce and geting going again, he was funny enough to put me to ease enough to get through some work but I didn't really face to the full extent , as I never really talked about my fears or anxieties openly to a dentist EVER until 2 years ago , then I really put my new dentist to the test.. in every way. and he passed everyone of them but unfortunately chose a different dental path I couldn't follow him, but he ended up passing me to a friend who is also an amazing dentist . I was 48 when I met my dental angel that truly helped me .. but the story began at 31. :)

So glad you are getting this done at 31 too.. This is a great age to do it!! any age is really :).

I am a bit of unique case I think. I was 15 but it wasn’t really my choice. My parents forced me to a dentist who took it upon herself to work with me. I wanted nothing to do with it at the time. I was always fearful but compliant so she could have just done the work (while I sweat and shake in fear as other dentists had) and then sent me out the door but she didn’t...she worked really hard to gain my trust and get me to a point where I felt 100% comfortable and at ease with her. I will always be grateful to her for that. After she started working with me, I did some Googling and found this forum which has helped me along the way. I’m 31 now.

I too was in my 30's when I found a very understanding and kind dentist who was an angel to me. Unfortunately he relocated out of my area, but he helped restore my faith in dentistry. It's taken me a while to find someone again... (I'll be 50 next year...)

My first appointment after long absence was around my 27th birthday. Mature for my age maybe? :)

Reasoning was basically wanting to address things before they got worse and tired of letting them linger on the back of my mind. Also lost the reasons I considered more rational for not going around that time (like not having dental insurance for example).

Back