• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

What caused your fear or phobia?

What caused your dental phobia or fear?

• A single traumatic experience at the dentist

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • A number of traumatic experiences at the dentist

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Dentists can't get me numb

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Comments made by a dentist or hygienist (humiliation)

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Feeling powerless in dental situations

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Parents or caregivers being scared of the dentist

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Hearing horror stories from other people

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Movies or media portrayal of dental treatment

• Other traumatic experiences, including abuse

• Generally high levels of anxiety

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Emetophobia (fear of vomiting)

• Parents or caregivers instilling feelings of guilt about dental health

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Other (you can leave a post in this thread)

• No real reason/don't know

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
L

lena25

My trauma began, I must have been almost 10. It was a routine check up done by our school. The dentist pulled my emerging tooth out of the blue without any anesthetic, cut it and just pull it out, sewed it and sent me back to class along with the rest of the pupils from my class

J

Jay LB

My trauma began when I was 8 years old, receiving my very first dental extraction. Cause that time my tooth pain hinders and distracts my school performances so my parents took me into the dentist. They held me down and I was crying hard begging to get home. I felt everything, the blades, the needle, and the motion of my tooth being pulled. I even had the taste of the drug they put in my tooth before putting the needle.

After those, for years I never got myseld into the dental office again. I don't like to have any peinful experience again. I dont want to be helpless. I've been into surgeries that made me helpless and crying in agony, even my circumcision, that the doctors laughed at me while I'm crying in agony.