• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What do YOU eat to keep your teeth healthy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rocklover
  • Start date Start date
rocklover

rocklover

Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2010
Messages
89
Location
Devon, UK
As you probably know from other posts I have written I am trying to improve my dental hygiene in an effort to avoid another root canal/cavity and ensure I keep my teeth for as long as possible. Since joining this site I have gained alot more respect for my teeth and I'm changing my whole dental hygiene routine as a result.

I decided to visit some other dental sites and read articles and according to them practically EVERYTHING I eat is the wrong thing. I have almost completely cut out sugar (except to have an occasional pudding after my main meal), I only drink water, milk, sugarless tea or sugar free cordial. I have discovered from what i have read today that crisps are extremely bad for your teeth as they stick to them, so as of today they are off my menu as well as I have to admit I was eating them instead of sweet stuff....duh!

I also read that anything starchy (e,g white bread, potatoes, pasta etc) is also really bad for your teeth. I eat alot of this sort of thing as I have IBS and my stomach cannot tolerate high fibre foods such as whole grains, fruit and lots of veg. I am better with veg than fruit, but I cannot eat the recommended 5 a day because it causes me alot of pain and an upset tummy.

These articles also said to cut snacking down to a minimum, which I have done and I have lost quite alot of weight doing this, however, I am very hungry much of the time, although manage to ignore it mainly. I am eating more dairy (milk and cheese mainly, although too much of this can also upset my tummy) which is supposed to be good for teeth, so I'm alright with that.

So, after reading all this scary stuff and finding out I am doing everything wrong I just wondered what everyone else eats and maybe it could help me try to figure out how I can cut out white starchy foods without exacerbating my tummy troubles. Sorry this post is so long and rambly. :-[
 
You've stumbled across the crux of the problem: if all carbohydrate that we eat is bad for our teeth because saliva converts it to sugar, and healthy fruit is bad for our teeth because it contains a lot of natural sugar, what do we eat? What is left virtually nothing except dairy products and meat.

The thing is although it is a good idea to avoid boiled sweets, sugary fizzy carbonated drinks etc etc , it is unrealistic to try to cut out all sugar/carbs and will likely make you very miserable.
My dentist has told my kids that crisps are a low-risk snack for teeth which they are, compared to fruit juice or chocolate or sweets.

Way forward: most things in moderation, it is not so much how much sweet stuff you eat but how often you consume it a day and therefore how long it is bathing your teeth in sugar. By all means pick low-sugar things but really what matters is how often your teeth come into contact with them. Your teeth need a break between meals to recover from food-induced acid attack.

So I would say go back to your crisps, drink any non-carbonated sugar free drink such as tea or coffee to suit so long as you don't add sugar. Eat cheese and milk for the calcium for your teeth and everything else in moderation including pasta, bread etc . You have lost weight because you are hungry I expect lol.

if you have previously taken sugar in tea and coffee just stopping that will make a real difference, no need to go overboard.

 
Thanks Brit. I actually came across a kids page on a british dental surgery page that told tem in no uncertain terms to never eat crisps because they stick to your teeth and they recommended they eat fruit, veg and water (I mean how unrealistic is that advice for children??) and also told them to clean their teeth at least 3 times a day if not more...I thought that over-brushing was not recommended.

It also came up as a fact on QI that crisps are far worse for teeth than sweet things (apart from boiled sweets and fizzy obviously) because of the fact that they stick to the teeth for hours and therefore provide a longer time to produce bacteria on the teeth.

I am actually just about to cut out dairy to see if my IBS improves, but I will be having soya milk and other soya products which apparently have added calcium so I won't compromise my diet. I have to say though, it's very confusing the amount of conflicting advice out there and you're right, the consensus of these sites is that we only eat meat, fruit/veg and dairy and leave everything else, surely that can't be healthy!
 
What's good for your body will also be good for your teeth. So eat a well balanced diet of the four food groups, brush 20 minutes after meals, limit eating between meals/snacking and drink plenty of water. It's just common sense really.

If you don't have enough protein (fish, chicken, eggs, peanuts) etc or complex carbs (whole grain bread, rice) you won't have energy. Low calcium, iron, vitamin b and d, c......well you get sick or have weak bones and teeth. All of the essential can be found in various sources from a healthy intake. Don't punish yourself into extreme dietary swings, its not sustainable anyway. But if you drink soda (fizzy drinks) and eat candy/crisps all day you'll be in trouble, both in body weight and your teeth.

I limited processed bread/butter (whole wheat instead) , no whole milk (use low fat or skim lactose free) and few red meats (fish and chicken are better) and my cholesterol came down 20 points.

BTW rock, I have IBS too and I can't do dairy, except a bit of yogurt and a bit morning cream in my one coffee, so I take calcium and Vit D supplements, which is good for you as a young woman to prevent future osteoporosis and build strong teeth. My doctor also actually recommended a hgih fiber supplement (metamucil) to control symtpoms and sort of regulate things :-[ .
 
What's good for your body will also be good for your teeth. So eat a well balanced diet of the four food groups, brush 20 minutes after meals, limit eating between meals/snacking and drink plenty of water. It's just common sense really.

If you don't have enough protein (fish, chicken, eggs, peanuts) etc or complex carbs (whole grain bread, rice) you won't have energy. Low calcium, iron, vitamin b and d, c......well you get sick or have weak bones and teeth. All of the essential can be found in various sources from a healthy intake. Don't punish yourself into extreme dietary swings, its not sustainable anyway. But if you drink soda (fizzy drinks) and eat candy/crisps all day you'll be in trouble, both in body weight and your teeth.

I limited processed bread/butter (whole wheat instead) , no whole milk (use low fat or skim lactose free) and few red meats (fish and chicken are better) and my cholesterol came down 20 points.

BTW rock, I have IBS too and I can't do dairy, except a bit of yogurt and a bit morning cream in my one coffee, so I take calcium and Vit D supplements, which is good for you as a young woman to prevent future osteoporosis and build strong teeth. My doctor also actually recommended a hgih fiber supplement (metamucil) to control symtpoms and sort of regulate things :-[ .

The problem I have with my ibs RP is that everything with a high fibre content just goes straight through me and it has actually been advised that people like me with that type of IBS that I have is to eat more of the refined "bad" foods. Anything with wholegrain (even digestive biscuits) affects my stomach and has me running for the toilet :-[. Things have been worse since I have had my son this year.

I do eat alot of salad when I can and I make vegetable soup from scratch when I have the time in a bid to be healthy, but if I eat any type of fruit I pay for it for days afterwards. I hardly eat any red meat now as my fiance does not eat beef, so we stick to chicken, oily fish and pork mince (occasionally). I have already cut out carbonated drinks, sweets, chocolate and now crisps and I have lost loads of weight in the past 2 months from stopping snacking completely (bloody starving most of the time though lol). I do let myself have a pudding every now and then, but only after my main meal. We no longer buy fruit juice.

I didn't realise it was best to brush after every meal as I was given advice that it could be over brushing if I did that. I floss, brush and use mouthwash twice a day, but I will step it up if that is what's recommended.
 
Last edited:
I think the idea behind the fiber supplement was to add "bulk." I couldn't drink it though, it was so gross. [smiley=sick.gif] Funny how we are all different, if I eat a lot of salad - look out..........If I had a milk shake I would need the emergency room for pain.......Some fruits bother me, especially citrus but the milder ones- like a banana or some melon is no problem. Anything in excess and your body starts to revolt.

I do carry a toothbrush with me and maually brush (gently) after lunch at work. I use the sonicare and waterpik, and floss morning and night. You get to a point where you are really aware of plaque in your mouth or that not so clean feeling. I got in the habit of brushing after meals when I quit smoking- it really helped eliminate that after meal craving. And then I stepped it up after the implants. So far the gum disease is really well controlled (no pockets and no bleeding last exam) and the perio said he had a hard time even finding plaque on my teeth.

rp
 
Thanks RP, your reply is really helpful. I have an electric toothbrush but have not used it since having the temporary filling, but will resume once the rct is sorted. I think I will start brushing after lunch as well, hopefully that will help prevent future decay and stop any decay I already have from progressing.

I really love this site for all the great advice and support it offers [smiley=jumping.gif].
 
You're very welcome. By the way, what is a crisp? A potato chip, cracker? :laugh:
 
A potato chip lol.

Sorry but this made me laugh so much .... you wouldn't believe the trouble we got into in Hawaii in March, I ordered chips with my meal and didn't get what I was expecting, I got crisps and some strange looks from the waitress!! LOL ... 2 Nations divided by the same language (yes I'm a Brit too);D
 
Back
Top