• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What do you look for in a dental website?

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
I'm redoing my website so I wanted to ask the experts what it should say. Obviously you here on this site are the experts at the group of patients that I'm trying to reach. While I have a wide range of skills I practice here in Miami where everyone makes claims that they are experts at all sorts of things. Unfortunately almost all the ones who claim to be sedation dentists seem more interested in the money than anything else.
So please tell me what it should look like !

I look for a very genuine personal statement from a dentist that they would be interested in helping anxious patients and why . It does seem many who say they are good for anxious patients are so sedation focused.. and for me I look that that is NOT the case.. if they use anxiety and sedation together alot and feel that is the cure all.. I veer away. I always look for a friendly picture, personally if they look warm, inviting and well even like they are having fun, it makes me more comfortable to go there.. Gorry pictures and videos are to inviting either. Just some personal thoughts.. more personal less sterile.

I look for a website that is unique to the dental office. How many times I saw websites where the service sections seems to be a copy and paste from a model for dental office websites. It gets worse when the information is not true. For example the website says they offer a service, but they actually don't.
I look to get to know a bit more on who the dentist is and why he is in the profession.
I like friendly pictures and prefer not to see too many pictures of treatment. For example, I'm not fun of seeing the pictures that explains the root canal treatment, but a nice picture of the reception area and the staff is cool.

Thanks I'm redoing mine and I have made it clear on what to focus but my first impressions were they(webmasters) just don't get it so I will have to do more work. Please tell me more>

Comfort Dentist,

I went to your site as it is , since its under your name and some things that would really draw me to you

"This allows for a practice where you are the focus and the practice adapts to your dental needs and desires. At our office we don't talk to you but instead listen and discuss all of your concerns and priorities concerning dental care.'

Great statement about listening..!

I like you have sedation but don't seem pushy on it, or tying it too into anxiety. but do put it out there for those thinking of this

You have a good sample of before and after but not too many .

Your reviews really show you have experience with anxious patients and you really care and are compassionatel to the..

This all says a lot...
And very sweet pic of you and your daugther..

Just thoughts coming from a phobic,,

If there are any happy patients sitting in the chair wearing a bib then the owner doesn't understand how triggers work. So absence of such pictures would reassure me, similarly as geos suggests. I also look if the dentist and his/her team are pictured as it awakes a sense of familiarity. I don't prefer seeing medical clothes/stuff - some dentists have the magnifying glasses hanging on their neck on a photo, that's scary. And I feel reassured by pictures where the dentist's hands are visible, at least a little bit.
Another thing that I find reassuring are some texts written by a dentist (like few articles or a blog) or a short video, just anything that gives me the option to see what kind of person he/she is. Just another thing that awakes a sense of familiarity so that the first visit would feel like meeting someone who I know a little bit already.
Sedation and nervous patients used in the same sentence put me off, I love to read about dentists who prefer to work with trust and understanding and time and slow pace and advertise sedation as a possibility that can get used as an addition or last resort.
Another reassuring thing is when the dentist claims to enjoy or like working with nervous patients which makes me feel like not being a bother, or being it just a little bit. Also reassurance in sense of 'no matter where you are now with your dental health, we are happy to see you' - anything that makes me feel like there is nothing to be ashamed of, even if I have really bad teeth.
I also feel very reassured by practices that make it clear that there is a chat on the first appointment before any exam or treatment would take place, it saves me from nightmares about a dentist putting me right into the chair. If a picture of a treatment room is somewhere, there should be no stuff at all lying around and seeing a normal chair somewhere in the corner also would reassure me.
Oh and of course an email address as calling a dental practice is an impossible task.

I know this is a month old, but it's such a good question in 2018. I found a dentist 1.5 years ago and decided solely on his website, that I'd like to see him.

Then I lost it, of course, and I'm in a completely different situation now.

But my dentists website is horrible. It's the Columbia University faculty practice and although there's a photo of almost all the doctors, mine didn't have one! So I googled her. Knowing who you're going to see is so important. I second almost everything that Enarete said. I don't know if you've already made the updates, but your photo is excellent and reassuring, because it shows you as just a regular guy.

Also to others notes about sedation: I can't afford that, it's rarely covered by insurance for basic work (in the US), so often when I found dentist websites where they advertise being able to treat you comfortably and pain free, I read "If you can afford the privilege" which of course, I cannot.

So knowing there's a dentist who will work with trust and honestly and going slow, is so so so helpful. I know these things cost money, but they're super expensive and receiving treatment comfortably, shouldn't rely on income. You shouldn't feel like because you're not wealthy, that you don't deserve good care.

To be fair, I wasn't even offered the basics of nitrous during or oral anti-anxiety meds for before any of my appointments, but for my regular dentist, she soothed my fears effectively since my primary phobia is with the needles.

Good topic!;)

A superb and vital topic this. I find the following things useful (as I actively did when finding my place of sanctuary). A) pictures of staff with a short spiel by them about themselves and their specialities and approaches including if they particularly have an interest in anxiety or special cases. B) pictures of the practice in particular the waiting area and inside the surgeries. C) honest but tactful overview of treatments and what they involve (but not scaring people in the process) and finally D) costs involved (admittedly most would show this).

The biggest faults I have seen are sites and indeed the actual practices for real on entry proudly displaying images of sharp pointed things and big teeth everywhere. Do not do it! You are only scaring people off at the first hurdle.
Soft furnishings and calming colours really make a huge difference to the entry experience, as does a warm and welcoming reception. In the surgeries, well lit but not dazzling and again sharp instruments well hidden help. Pictures of a well designed chair can be useful though, especially highlighting if it is heated and/or with a massage function and pointing out screens with virtual reality or calming images etc also good.

The site also needs to be very easy to navigate too; indeed, when I was searching, I was usually trying to jump straight at the "Meet The Team" section. Make sure this is easy to spot and get to in any layout.

Some sites I have seen have very nice video clips in them; nice, as you sometimes with these get to hear as well as see some at least of the team. But again, leave out the pointed weapons!!

As others have pointed out, having an easy means of email contact as well as phone and post are essential, as for many phobics starting out, this might be the only way they feel they can communicate initially.

Back