• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What was your longest wait for a Root Canal tooth to successfully settle?

L

lizjackchris

Hi. I had a root canal on Dec. 21 st on a back molar and my tooth has not settled. It was performed by an endodontist with cone beam ct scan and microscope and all the equipment necessary for success. There is no indication on the endodontist's end that it should be anything but successful. It's nearly 3 weeks later and it is sore. Tender to touch and bite on and just a generally sore feeling. Though not throbbing or excruciatingly painful. Just achy and its presence I am painfully aware of. I have done a course of Penicillin vk. Anti-inflammatory medication does help as I believe there is still a lot of inflammation going on. Could there still be so much inflammation going on? Scheduled to start my crown in 1 week. I am sure this is not a new story to hear on the dental forum. Just wanted to hear if anyone had any success with root canals settling weeks later. Thanks

Re: What was your longest wait for a Root Canal tooth to successfully settle?

Hi sometimes they can take months to settle. Someone on here went over a year and out of the blue just stopped giving them trouble.

I wouldn't have a crown put on until the tooth is settled because if they have to go back in then they aren't spoiling a new crown which isn't cheep. It is usual to wait for at least 6 months to make sure things are settled and no further problems happen.

Have a word with your dentist and ask why if the tooth isn't settled is it being crowned so soon after the rct. :butterfly::butterfly:

Thank you Carole for your reply. I am scheduled to at least get the temporary crown 1 week from now. It is of the endodontist's opinion to at least get a temporary on so that the tooth is less at risk for fracture. I will ask my general dentist who is also a prosthodontist to not make the final crown yet. I will though have to pay for a temporary. Everyday I wake up hoping it will settle. I know lots of us here on the forum are just waiting for the "tooth to settle". I have had lots of dental work ...implant, gum graft, bone graft, other root canals....and I always seem to have a problem....so discouraging.....

My last one took a couple of months :(

From what you say this taking time for things to settle is normal for you. It is very dis-heartening I know I have suffered with dental problems myself but as long as things do usually settle down try not to get too down about it. If it is bothering you so much take some pain meds, it is pointless letting things build up because as we feel pain or aching we tense our jaws and this makes things feel worse.

I wish you all the best, let us know how you get on please :butterfly:

Thanks for all the replies. I feel encouraged and I agree with the post that I should take my anti-inflammatory or my pain pill. There is no sense in remaining in pain. I was staying off them to try to assess how I feel but I think I know by now... I am in pain! Luckily the pain has not been more than the pills can handle. Been there too when the narcotics can't even touch the pain. Luckily it has not been that bad. Thanks for all the great advice...you guys have made me feel a lot better.

Thanks for all the replies. I feel encouraged and I agree with the post that I should take my anti-inflammatory or my pain pill. There is no sense in remaining in pain. I was staying off them to try to assess how I feel but I think I know by now... I am in pain! Luckily the pain has not been more than the pills can handle. Been there too when the narcotics can't even touch the pain. Luckily it has not been that bad. Thanks for all the great advice...you guys have made me feel a lot better.

My one and only root canal took 13 weeks to settle. I know, as I was counting the weeks. It eventually did settle and lasted about 12 years before it started to give me some discomfort again. I had to have a re-root which started to settle after about 3 months again, but currently recovering from apicectomy.
I would say, the fact the tooth needed a root canal, means the surrounding tissues must have been traumatised for a long period, so the area needs time to settle down and everyone is different, the older we get, the more time we also need to recover. So long as you are seeing some slight improvement week after week, it must mean you are going in the right direction.

My one and only root canal took 13 weeks to settle. I know, as I was counting the weeks. It eventually did settle and lasted about 12 years before it started to give me some discomfort again. I had to have a re-root which started to settle after about 3 months again, but currently recovering from apicectomy.
I would say, the fact the tooth needed a root canal, means the surrounding tissues must have been traumatised for a long period, so the area needs time to settle down and everyone is different, the older we get, the more time we also need to recover. So long as you are seeing some slight improvement week after week, it must mean you are going in the right direction.
Thanks for your response. The tooth is still sore to the touch and mildly achy. It does not wake me up and I don't think it fits the description of cracked root. It's been 3 weeks today. Hoping for the best. Good Luck with your tooth. I agree the older we are the longer it takes to recover. And the less patient and crankier we get with things like this. At least, I do.

Last edited:

Just wanted to update....I continued to have some soreness and mild ache with my rct and also general tenderness. I decided to do keep my crown prep appointment. I have my temporary in and I actually feel a bit of improvement. I am keeping my fingers crossed. The only negative about today's appointment is the dental drill/bur seemed to skim my tongue on the side. It is a bit sore and irritated. Nothing ever seems to go off without a hitch. Does it? Always gotta have a minor issue. Ugghhh

My root canal tooth has started hurting worse than before the apicoectomy now. It has always been painful when tapped or when pressure is applied. Now it hurts constantly, like a bruise. It doesn't throb mecessarily, but has a dull pulsing pain.

I was hoping it would last until January, at least, so that my insurance starts over, but it looks like it is going to have to come out sooner. The pain is getting worse each day.

Decided to resurrect my Jan 2017 post when I waited 4 weeks for a root canal on a molar to settle. It eventually did. Right now I am 6 weeks from my rct on a lower canine. It has not settled. Still mildly/moderately achy. I have not taken anything for pain but wondering if it is better to take an anti-inflammatory to reduce inflammation. Going to get my permanent filling in 1 week with or without pain as endodontist feels I should move ahead. Ugh...so sick of dental pain, complications and failures. I even saw another old post of mine regarding another molar that was slow to settle. why do some people have continuous complications and failures? Is it dental anatomy(hard to treat teeth), difficulty coping with inflammation/ pain, or inability to fight infection?

Back