• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What's causes the "electric shock" type pain in a tooth

D

DM69

I have a broken to the gum upper right molar which should have been taken out a log time ago, but due to my terror, has not been. It's not given me any trouble with pain until now.

I keep getting a really sharp, shock type pain - different to the usual dull, unrelenting pain from abscesses that I usually get. The gum around the tooth is slightly swollen.

I can't get in to see a dentist until Friday at the earliest. So, dentists can I ask......

Does it sound like I have an abscess and will I be OK until Friday (bit scared of blood poisoning etc).

You won't get blood poisoning before Friday, I had an untreated abscess for well over a year and I didn't get it in all that time. It may be the nerve dying that is causing the elec shock type pain, I am not a dentist but as a layperson I experienced the pain and worry you are going through right now, I wish you luck for Friday and I hope you are out of pain soon. The dentist will probably give you some antibiotics and have you go back for treatment, when they have had a chance to calm the tooth down.

Good luck :grouphug:

Hello
The main reasons for "picks" in the pain is sudden increase in the hydraulic pressure on the tissue (bone tissue or the tooth itself). This pressure is one of the expressions of the inflammation reaction to the infection.
In some cases indeed it is better to start with a antibiotics and later the treatment, but not in every case.
However, I would suggest you go to your family doctor and consult regarding taking a course of antibiotics and painkillers before Friday. It will ease you pain and make the treatment easier :).

keep us updated on how you are doing

all the best

Dr Daniel

Thank you. To be honest, you've scared me a little bit ( I know you didn't mean to, but everything scares me!)

The pain isn't unrelenting, and seems relating to eating - does that make a difference? It hasn't happened, for example, since I ate my breakfast this morning.

I'm worried that my doctor will refuse to prescribe antibiotics for a dental problem, as I know they sometimes do. Will anything sinister happen if I don't get any till Friday?

Dr Daniel

Thank you. To be honest, you've scared me a little bit ( I know you didn't mean to, but everything scares me!)

The pain isn't unrelenting, and seems relating to eating - does that make a difference? It hasn't happened, for example, since I ate my breakfast this morning.

I'm worried that my doctor will refuse to prescribe antibiotics for a dental problem, as I know they sometimes do. Will anything sinister happen if I don't get any till Friday?

It's great advice. Explain to your GP that you are in pain and the dentist can't or won't see you till Friday and you want to get the infection under control asap. If they won't help, change your GP.
Your dentist should also be able to assist with this. Maybe if you phone they will let you call in and collect a prescription. If you are in pain they should have emergency arrangements for you to be seen more quickly as well.

electric shock pain is pain from the dental pulp when it is still alive and stimulated

You should be just fine until Friday.

Lincoln

Hi DM69

I'm not a dentist but I'm pretty sure its the erosion of your tooth exposing the pulp, I had the exact same feeling in my tooth before I had it extracted a month ago, so I feel your pain.

Glad you're getting it seen to, hope everything goes well.

Back