• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

When do you feel the most anxiety

• Thread starter krlovesherkids777
  • Start date

When are you most anxious, before ,during or after an appointment?

• Before the appointment and up until you walk through the door

Votes: 35 76.1%
  • In the chair.. during treatment

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Afterwards/healing

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • It varies

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now this can change over time, but wondering when do you feel the most anxiety...
A .. before the appointment.. making it , thinking of who to contact, being nervous about the what ifs. etc etc.. waking up and getting there the day of. walking through the door..
B. In the chair... nervous about actual procedure, talking to dentist, staff, shame factor etc..
C. After ... what will happen after,? how will my healing go , will I have to call them to get in again. or with questions, will there be after affects or complications..

So right now.. for me it is C.. I may have slight anxiety before , along the way of not wanting to be a bother too much, or wondering how it will be like.. but as of now I've gained some pretty positive momentum and feeling fairly comfortable to contact them to make appointments or ask questions
In the chair.. most of the time.. I'm ok. once I get the local I know I will be good to go.. sometimes I brace for the pain but then walk out like what the heck happened that was easier than I ever imagined.. even if it wasn't easy . it was still managable and they proved they cared again. so the chair is not where I have the issue right now.
Its the healing.. how painful will it be,, will I sleep? will I eat? will the stiches fall out ? etc..

What about you? I'm curious....

For me, it is both A and B. I get anxiety just walking in the door and imagining what could be wrong. Then I have anxiety as they work, because I am wondering when the anesthesia will wear off (I always need additional shots partway through to maintain the numbness). I don’t tend to worry so much afterwards unless something does actually go wrong.

My anxiety is the very worst right beforehand (usually in the parking lot). Once I am through the door and in the chair it usually lessens. Although, sometimes the anxiety will continue to build up until the point where treatment actually starts and then it starts to go down after the first few minutes of treatment (unless something doesn’t go as expected). I think back in my early days with this phobia it was more of a constant battle throughout the appointment to stay calm. Now I am usually pretty calm within just the first 5 minutes or so of treatment starting.

Definitely before hands. Sometimes days leading up to it. So much dread. Once I’m in the chair I’m usually ok. It’s never as bad as I fear.

@MountainMama I hear you on the fear of local wearing off, I do have that too, and kind of brace myself for that and the worst.. usually what i expect in my body and what I get with pain are quite different . usually walk out going that was wayyyy easier than I anticipated. @kitkat ,, so hear you about the parking lot.. I always hope no one from the office will see me doing my breathing excercises in the car before I come up... :)

@MountainMama I hear you on the fear of local wearing off, I do have that too, and kind of brace myself for that and the worst.. usually what i expect in my body and what I get with pain are quite different . usually walk out going that was wayyyy easier than I anticipated. @kitkat ,, so hear you about the parking lot.. I always hope no one from the office will see me doing my breathing excercises in the car before I come up... :)

Haha! Yes you are not alone! I usually practice some meditation to calm my nerves sitting my car in the parking lot before I go inside!

Actually just over a year ago I was nervously walking into my dentist new clinic he had switched locations and I think it was the 2nd time there. I was basically talking to myself and doing my 4-4-8 breathing and my dentist came up behind me walked aside me and said a friendly hello. And acted as though it was totally cool I was doing deep breathing and positive self talk :)

i am at peak anxiety when the dentist or hygienist reclines the chair. Heart is racing then!

I voted "before"... this made me think of a comment that @Enarete posted a few days ago, which really struck a chord with me:

"Remember that the anxiety now is not the anxiety during the procedure. Now you are alone. During the apt will have a lovely nurse and a kind dentist on your side who will guide you through it, look after you and make sure you stay comfortable." :)

I always have the most anxiety before the appointment. Once I am in the chair it’s usually fine. But I think I have kind of a weird anxiety around dentists and dental hygienist. My biggest fear in general is having mouth or throat cancer. I’ve been having this fear for several years now and everything that confronts me with it, makes me super anxious. I’m always afraid they will find something which is not good. Weird fear. I know...

I also don’t like it when I don’t have control and another person is deciding for me. I’m not gonna let that happen again!

" I’m always afraid they will find something which is not good. Weird fear. I know... "

I think , not weird at all.. I'm sure many of us would agree :). you are in plenty of company.

Also love that you are not going to let it happen to have others decide and control your dental. Glad you know you are in control now !! It is so freeing isn't it!!

You are right, it is very freeing! When my dentist wanted to cement my bridges, I wasn’t really ready for it but I let it happen as I didn’t want to be the difficult patient.

The next time I won’t let this happen again, only if I feel hundred procent sure about it! I don’t care about being difficult anymore, it’s my mouth, my body. ?

3 weeks before, I am much worst at the moment because I am worried about one of my wisdom teeth, I should have had a checkup in April. I know other people are having issues with their teeth but can't been seen yet due to covid19 and lack of PPE for dentist, their assistants and reception team and anyone else who may work at the dentist

The dentist practice I go to opens again Monday by appointment only

For me it’s after when everything is said and done. Right now my anxiety is pretty high because I wonder if I made the wrong choice and messed up my mouth even more.

@krlovesherkids777 I feel like anything that has to do with you health, the down sides are far worse than the upsides are good. No one celebrates having low cholesterol, or no cavities, but high cholesterol of multiple cavities would make me panic.

My anxiety flares up way before the visit, because it's vague "What if there's something wrong with my teeth." I am anxious driving to the office, but I also have a sense of relief at that point because I'm getting on with it.

Back