• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Which toothbrush, too scared to go and ask

  • Thread starter Thread starter tina777
  • Start date Start date
T

tina777

Junior member
Joined
May 25, 2012
Messages
4
Hi,

My dentist persuaded me to see a hygenist. I managed to get there thinking she'd use some sort of sonic device. It seems I got that wrong. I managed to get through a session where she cleaned some of my teeth. She said I did really well but the reality is that it was more than traumatic.

She told me that after my next session she'd give me some advice on which electronic toothbrush and toothpaste to use but I'm too scared to go back.

I'm seeing a dentist next month for work under sedation, but I'll be too scared to ask before and (I guess) too zoned out to ask after. Am keen to get a decent toothbrush as I'm going from one tooth crisis to another. I have to be referred to get work done so have a long wait time.

Can someone tell me what sort of electric toothbrush to go for? There are loads of different types at widely varying prices. I really haven't a clue. Also, is there an ideal toothpaste? :dunno::dunno::scared:
 
Hi tina, I'm really sorry to hear that your encounter with the hygienist went so badly :(. In my personal experience, there are huge differences between hygienists/dentists when it comes to being thorough, yet gentle. It sounds as if this hygienist was quite heavy-handed. It sounds like it was a very traumatic experience for you and I hope it won't prove too much of a set-back in the long term. Just like some dentists are much more gentle than others, the same goes for hygienists. Maybe you could discuss your experience with your dentist if you feel up to it? (often easier done by e-mail if they have an e-mail where you can reach them)

With regards to recommended toothbrushes, most dentists seem to recommend either the Oral-B rechargable rotary type brushes (with the small round heads - they're called the "Professional Series" I think) or Sonicare, depending on their personal preference. Personally I prefer the Oral-B type ones because I find the Sonicare a bit too ticklish for my liking and also I find the smaller brush head easier (on the other hand, the Sonicare might be better if you have a tendency to apply too much pressure - it really is very soft).

Most toothpastes will do, just make sure they contain about 1450 ppm fluoride. If you have a problem with decay, your dentist may want to prescribe a prescription strength toothpaste like duraphat but they would probably have done so by now if it was deemed necessary. Avoid "whitening" toothpastes as they don't really have a whitening effect, but can be more abrasive on the enamel. Depending on your individual circumstances, your dentist/hygienist may recommend a particular toothpaste designed for a specific purpose, so you'd have to ask. Generally speaking though, the actual mechanical action of brushing is way more important than the toothpaste.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll be able to put this traumatic incident behind you, and that you will be able to find a gentle hygienist that you can visit regularly, without having to dread your visits! Lots of hugs and lots of luck :hug5::hug4::grouphug::clover::clover::clover:
 
Hi tina777 I agree with what letsconnect has said, I have an Oral B Elec rechargable toothbrush, there are a lot of different brush heads you can get for these, I use the round ones, I have also used the flossing heads which are a little bit bigger and harder. I would start with the small round ones and experiment later. You can usually get these brushes on offer.

Good luck for your up coming treatment :clover::clover::clover:
 
A third vote for the Oral-B rechargable! I got mine in the Argos sale nearly 2 years ago and it's still going strong (though I hasten to add that I have renewed the brush head in that time). Best thing for me is the built-in two-minute timer. I think my idea of two minutes was nowhere near two minutes! The only drawback with mine is that it needs a special adaptor plug - my husband's electric shaver plug suffices - but check before you buy.
 
Mine also needs the shaving plug adapter, they are about a £1.00 though and easy to get. I change my brush heads every three months, just as you would a normal manual tooth brush.

You have a more up to date one than me Aldridge mine hasn't got a timer, I keep hoping it will stop working so I can treat myself to one with a timer. Like your new pic by the way, :yayy::yayy::yayy::plays::plays::plays::laughing-santa: he's on his way
 
Mine is an oral b electric rechargeable toothbrush as well. It also has a timer which is a great idea as I never used to brush my teeth for long enough. It uses the small circular heads and it flashes at me if I press too hard as well which I find useful.

Hope you find one you feel comfortable with. :whirl:
 
Well that takes the biscuit, I didn't know they flashed as well, I think I may have to drop mine now. Shame they can't fix the teeth as well :rofl::rofl::rofl: :plays::xmastree::plays::laughing-santa:
 
I didn't know you could get flashing ones; they will be playing Christmas carols next...bet I know someone on here who would love one like that...no names mentioned. ;)
Carole, so glad you like the picture; that is my gorgeous boy who always makes me smile, so I hoped he would make someone else smile too, but I do apologise to anyone who doesn't like horses!
 
Back
Top