• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

White gum following tooth extraction

E

erming

I had a wisdom tooth extracted 4 days ago. It has been aching since extraction, not massively painful and I don't need to take pain killers but it is just an ache that I'm aware of.

It is hard to see the socket but there seems to be a clot in it along with some white. I think if I had dry socket I would be in a lot more pain.

I have also noticed the the gum around the adjacent tooth is white and think this might be due to the trauma of the extraction.

The extraction itself wasn't difficult, but I could feel the dentist was putting a lot of pressure on that area of my mouth when putting the stitches in afterwards. The dentist did apologise for needing to use so much pressure.

I'm not sure if I should just leave things for a few more days to see if it settles down or if I need to get back in touch with the dentist. I do get very anxious about needing further work (my extraction was due to gum disease). Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi there,

it is normal for the extraction site to look white. We have some information about what to expect after a tooth removal here in our FAQ. It may give you some ideas about what is normal. It sounds like leaving it is a good plan, particularly if your not having any massive pain.

All the best wishes

Thanks for the reply. I have also read the advice given in the link. I suppose my main query is the gum around the neighbouring tooth is white, not the actual extraction site. From what I understand this is due to the trauma of the extraction.

I rinsed again a while ago with salt water and the area where it's aching does seem to be reducing. So hopefully things are starting to improve

Back