M
meg071189
Junior member
- Joined
- May 28, 2013
- Messages
- 2
Hi everyone,
I got this small white spot on the right side of my tongue (towards the front) about a month ago. A few days after I got the first one, two more appeared on the same side (towards the back). Also, around the same time, my tongue suddenly took on a "scalloped" appearance (looks like the indentations of my teeth all around the edges, maybe that my tongue is swollen but it doesn't feel very large). I kept dismissing this as thrush because my mom said I used to get it all the time, but then I started to get too worried since they were sticking around for awhile. I went to my doctor the day before yesterday (Sunday) and he inspected my mouth. He said that he doesn't think it looks like anything serious, but he also didn't think it looked like thrush. Despite that, he still gave me a prescription for Mycelex troches, basically lozenges that I suck on 5 times a day for 5 days. He told me that if it doesn't clear up by the time I'm done with the medication, I need to go see an ENT doctor. I'm really worried about this, I'm only 23 years old but I have been a cigarette smoker for 5 years so I know that there's a possibility for oral cancer. This is only my second day on the medication and I can't really tell if it's getting any better or not. I've included two pictures of what it looks like right now:


The first picture is the side of my tongue where the spots are, the second is what the "scalloping" looks like.
I have a BIG fear of dental and doctor offices, and it took literally everything in me to get through my last appointment without fainting or having a panic attack. I'm so nervous about the possibility of having to go to an ENT and get a biopsy on it. I wish my doctor could have provided a diagnosis.
Also, I do have hypothyroidism that I am prescribed to 112mcg of Synthroid daily for. I also have a bad habit of biting my cheeks and lip constantly, and I have severe anxiety (especially lately).
If anyone could give me some peace of mind and maybe opinions on what this could be, I would be entirely grateful. My mind has been consumed with worry about this for a month now and I just want to know I'll be okay.
Thank you so much.
I got this small white spot on the right side of my tongue (towards the front) about a month ago. A few days after I got the first one, two more appeared on the same side (towards the back). Also, around the same time, my tongue suddenly took on a "scalloped" appearance (looks like the indentations of my teeth all around the edges, maybe that my tongue is swollen but it doesn't feel very large). I kept dismissing this as thrush because my mom said I used to get it all the time, but then I started to get too worried since they were sticking around for awhile. I went to my doctor the day before yesterday (Sunday) and he inspected my mouth. He said that he doesn't think it looks like anything serious, but he also didn't think it looked like thrush. Despite that, he still gave me a prescription for Mycelex troches, basically lozenges that I suck on 5 times a day for 5 days. He told me that if it doesn't clear up by the time I'm done with the medication, I need to go see an ENT doctor. I'm really worried about this, I'm only 23 years old but I have been a cigarette smoker for 5 years so I know that there's a possibility for oral cancer. This is only my second day on the medication and I can't really tell if it's getting any better or not. I've included two pictures of what it looks like right now:


The first picture is the side of my tongue where the spots are, the second is what the "scalloping" looks like.
I have a BIG fear of dental and doctor offices, and it took literally everything in me to get through my last appointment without fainting or having a panic attack. I'm so nervous about the possibility of having to go to an ENT and get a biopsy on it. I wish my doctor could have provided a diagnosis.
Also, I do have hypothyroidism that I am prescribed to 112mcg of Synthroid daily for. I also have a bad habit of biting my cheeks and lip constantly, and I have severe anxiety (especially lately).
If anyone could give me some peace of mind and maybe opinions on what this could be, I would be entirely grateful. My mind has been consumed with worry about this for a month now and I just want to know I'll be okay.
Thank you so much.