• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Who's a rude patient?

F

Fati96

Hi everyone
I have a question
In your opinion what is a rude and impolite patient like at dentistry?

Dentists, What does a person do or say that you call her/him a rude and impolite patient??

Which bad behaviours annoy you as a dentist?
I don' t mean things like brushing or flossing or... I mean the patient's behaviour.

Thanks?

Oh thanks a lot dear Enarete??
I'll watch it?

Hi everyone
I have a question
In your opinion what is a rude and impolite patient like at dentistry?

Dentists, What does a person do or say that you call her/him a rude and impolite patient??

Which bad behaviours annoy you as a dentist?
I don' t mean things like brushing or flossing or... I mean the patient's behaviour.

Thanks?
Hi there, interesting question. I mean I’m not a dentist or a dental professional, but, I have worked in a dental Practice and kind of have a view on this. so I thought I would add my two cents, sorry if it’s not relevant as I’m not a dentist. But honestly I think it’s about context with ‘rude’ behaviour, I know as a phobic patient myself I always worried I was coming off rude at the dentist. Not helped by my social anxiety ?? as when im
Nervous I retreat and don’t always engage in the sort of daily chitchat or conversation you may expect when you first go in or I might appear like I’m not listening as I’m too distracted with worry. I think from both perspectives though I think dentist understand you mind may be else where when phobic or your a minute late for your appointment as it took great courage not to turn away at the door. I think also some people can be irritable when anxious and I suppose it’s about mitigating that in the moment. But as such they are not actively or intentionally being rude.

Hi there, interesting question. I mean I’m not a dentist or a dental professional, but, I have worked in a dental Practice and kind of have a view on this. so I thought I would add my two cents, sorry if it’s not relevant as I’m not a dentist. But honestly I think it’s about context with ‘rude’ behaviour, I know as a phobic patient myself I always worried I was coming off rude at the dentist. Not helped by my social anxiety ?? as when im
Nervous I retreat and don’t always engage in the sort of daily chitchat or conversation you may expect when you first go in or I might appear like I’m not listening as I’m too distracted with worry. I think from both perspectives though I think dentist understand you mind may be else where when phobic or your a minute late for your appointment as it took great courage not to turn away at the door. I think also some people can be irritable when anxious and I suppose it’s about mitigating that in the moment. But as such they are not actively or intentionally being rude.
Thank you so much dear Molar_bear for good points you mentioned?
You are right, when I think now I see that I'm exactly the same, due to my nervousness I retreat and can't communicate as I do in normal conditions, that really annoys me but I can't help it, and that may sound rude but as you said i'm not intentionally being rude.
Thanks again??

This is really normal, @Fati96 and many people react like this. Everyone copes with nervousness differently, some people just avoid eye contact and don‘t talk much, some talk very fast and a lot, some appear to be skeptical or distrusting, asking questions about every detail, some do jokes. And some people even get a little bit snippy and oversensitive, trying to command the dental team, but even that is just an attempt to get some control in a scary situation.

In my experience, the rude ones are the ones who come late and don‘t apologize, who call on a Friday ten minutes before the practice closes and demand to get an immediate emergency appointment for a problem they have been having since Monday, people who accuse the dentist of recommending unnecessary services just to earn money, people who claim to have payed the dentist‘s car, weird jokes about how dentist just want to hurt people... treating nurses like they were slaves or some kind of a minor human being.. this kind of stuff. I still suspect that many of those behaviors may still be due to fear or the need to gain control in a threatenning situation, but those are definitely the ones where it‘s more difficult to stay kind and patient.

Thank you so much dear Molar_bear for good points you mentioned?
You are right, when I think now I see that I'm exactly the same, due to my nervousness I retreat and can't communicate as I do in normal conditions, that really annoys me but I can't help it, and that may sound rude but as you said i'm not intentionally being rude.
Thanks again??

That’s okay an honestly I think the staff understand that it’s not intentional so don’t worry! I often end up trying to apologise at the end, once I have finally composed myself. Only to be told they gathered it was due to nervousness not rudeness!

This is really normal, @Fati96 and many people react like this. Everyone copes with nervousness differently, some people just avoid eye contact and don‘t talk much, some talk very fast and a lot, some appear to be skeptical or distrusting, asking questions about every detail, some do jokes. And some people even get a little bit snippy and oversensitive, trying to command the dental team, but even that is just an attempt to get some control in a scary situation.

In my experience, the rude ones are the ones who come late and don‘t apologize, who call on a Friday ten minutes before the practice closes and demand to get an immediate emergency appointment for a problem they have been having since Monday, people who accuse the dentist of recommending unnecessary services just to earn money, people who claim to have payed the dentist‘s car, weird jokes about how dentist just want to hurt people... treating nurses like they were slaves or some kind of a minor human being.. this kind of stuff. I still suspect that many of those behaviors may still be due to fear or the need to gain control in a threatenning situation, but those are definitely the ones where it‘s more difficult to stay kind and patient.
Thanks a lot dear Enarete for your comprehensive response? I got my answer??

That’s okay an honestly I think the staff understand that it’s not intentional so don’t worry! I often end up trying to apologise at the end, once I have finally composed myself. Only to be told they gathered it was due to nervousness not rudeness!
this time I too will apologise at the end?cause I'm afraid if they misunderstand my beahaviours?
Thanks dear Molar_bear?

this time I too will apologise at the end?cause I'm afraid if they misunderstand my beahaviours?
Thanks dear Molar_bear?

Aww I’m sure they will understand. You probably don’t need to apologise but I’m sure it doesn’t hurt to if you worry about being misinterpreted or perceived as rude!

Back