• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Will the tooth kill me before or after it falls out?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter RustyRebecca
  • Start date Start date
RustyRebecca

RustyRebecca

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2019
Messages
105
Location
Plymouth
My experience with the dentist was sadly negative today.
I went, felt I couldn't trust the dentist at all, was highly anxious and I didn't have the root canal under IV sedation.
She wasn't happy, she told me my front tooth will fall out because it is held by a small amount of bone (it isn't loose and wobbly or anything) and that the infection could poison me. Is this right? She then charged me £600 for her time (that was suddenly extended) which was a lot considering if I'd had it all done it would have been less than £900. I did feel robbed (I get it was her time, but still...) I felt guilty and paid.
The race is on to find another dentist that I can trust. I found one, but is it normal for the practice manager to do the initial assessment on your teeth (including pictures)? (this is actually not charged).
Thank you so much to everyone who has supported me. It means so much. I am so desperate to sort all of this out. I haven't slept :-(
 
@RustyRebecca

In terms of the infection, poison is quite an emotive word. I would instead explain that with any dental infection there is the possibility of spread of infections that could cause issues. Always be on the look out for worsening symptoms until the infection is resolved. Watch for difficulties breathing, swallowing or change in your temperature and general feeling of wellness.

Usually with front teeth it is more likely that you'll develop an abscess (small spot on your gum) that may then burst and become a draining sinus. Good to be aware though.

I haven't come across the practice manager in this capacity before, however, it sounds like a great idea. This is because the dentist can have all of your info to hand at the first appointment and spend more time focusing on your treatment and not the admin and data side of it.

I hope this dentist works out for you and you get your treatment done soon. Infection can cause a tooth to become mobile relatively rapidly so getting it treated so it can settle is a great plan.

Take care

Jodie
 
@Jodie Nelson Thank you. I so appreciate your reply and reassurances. The dentist today did frighten me. It just wasn't a good experience.
But the practice manager of this new practice said that it wasn't normal practice to do a root canal on this tooth and then a retainer and later a bone graft. She seemed to think that it was either a root canal with a post and crown or a retainer. And either or situation. I just don't know, I just want it sorted. I'm so tired of it all after today and how it turned out. And I feel stupid for paying that money and allowing a dentist to talk to me like that.
 
@RustyRebecca please don't feel stupid. It sounds like it was a stressful situation and we don't always protect ourselves well when feeling a little anxious or defensive.
A cancellation charge is unfortunately normal. The level will be different for different dental practices. Usually, however, this is set out clearly beforehand. We charge quite low cancellation fees as a general NHS dentist but I know most charge at least £1-2/minute. Other private dentists I have come across would be more along the lines of at least £2-4/minute, some could be a lot higher, and IV sedation would make sense to be higher still. Cancellation charges are unpleasant but often out of the dentists control as the practice running costs for being open and having specially trained nursing staff need to be covered in the event of a patient not attending. Whilst saying that, £600 does seem to be on the higher side (how long was your appointment) so just check through any paperwork you have regarding cancellation fees maybe. That might set your mind at ease.
I'm not certain about the treatment plan you had in place either but again with a new practice they will put your plan in place and take time to make sure you're happy with the plan and ask questions if you need to.
Take care
Jodie
 
Back
Top