• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Teeth Out Under Sedation And Terrified

I

ItsBecky

I don't know if this is normal or not, but I am more nervous about the sedation then the actual procedure itself! I haven't even thought about the recovery either, I have just never been sedated before so I am terrified about the lack of control of being put unconscious with drugs and what it feels like to be sedated!

If anyone can give me any advice or reassurance that would be great as I'm so scared :(

I am having IV sedation by the way!

I have heard it's like being drunk but better is this true?

Please do let me know!

Thank you!

I don't know if this is normal or not, but I am more nervous about the sedation then the actual procedure itself! I haven't even thought about the recovery either, I have just never been sedated before so I am terrified about the lack of control of being put unconscious with drugs and what it feels like to be sedated!

If anyone can give me any advice or reassurance that would be great as I'm so scared :(

I am having IV sedation by the way!

I have heard it's like being drunk but better is this true?

Please do let me know!

Thank you!

Hi I have had iv sedation 4 times at the dentist and honestly it’s like you ‘wake up’ when it’s all over and feel a bit giddy drunk and wobble on your feet. Not an unpleasant sensation to be honest. In fact I think one time I insisted on just continuing to nap once they were done. I remember small snippets from when the treatment was going on but fleeting awareness and nothing much at all.

I have had my three impacted wisdom teeth out surgically. Under GA though but in terms of recovery mine was quite smooth. Didn’t take all the pain killers I was given in fact. Didn’t bleed much at all but I had stitches. Just sleep proped up and eat soft foods. Only thing for me was with some swelling of my checks and I like to sleep on my side which I couldn’t ?

Hi I have had iv sedation 4 times at the dentist and honestly it’s like you ‘wake up’ when it’s all over and feel a bit giddy drunk and wobble on your feet. Not an unpleasant sensation to be honest. In fact I think one time I insisted on just continuing to nap once they were done. I remember small snippets from when the treatment was going on but fleeting awareness and nothing much at all.

I have had my three impacted wisdom teeth out surgically. Under GA though but in terms of recovery mine was quite smooth. Didn’t take all the pain killers I was given in fact. Didn’t bleed much at all but I had stitches. Just sleep proped up and eat soft foods. Only thing for me was with some swelling of my checks and I like to sleep on my side which I couldn’t ?

Thank you so much, I just keep having panic attacks worrying about it! and it's really affecting me mentally to be honest. I am probably going to be like what was i so worried about? but at the same time I am so worried that I am just going to end up backing out because i'm just too scared to go through with it, and I really want to be able to do it but the thought of it absolutely terrifies me

Thank you so much, I just keep having panic attacks worrying about it! and it's really affecting me mentally to be honest. I am probably going to be like what was i so worried about? but at the same time I am so worried that I am just going to end up backing out because i'm just too scared to go through with it, and I really want to be able to do it but the thought of it absolutely terrifies me

Aww no it’s understandable to feel anxious when it’s something new and unknown. I know I was panicked before I had sedation. But I mean I went back three more times! And wouldn’t hesitate in the future if I need work done.

I know there is a section on here about iv sedation experiences (loads of them!) and step by step guide on what happens. Which may help you to know more about what happens at the appointment. I think I even watched a YouTube video from a random hospital on it as I like to know what to expect. Although thats not for everyone.

I’m happy to answer more question in the run up if you choose to go ahead or about the experience.

Aww no it’s understandable to feel anxious when it’s something new and unknown. I know I was panicked before I had sedation. But I mean I went back three more times! And wouldn’t hesitate in the future if I need work done.

I know there is a section on here about iv sedation experiences (loads of them!) and step by step guide on what happens. Which may help you to know more about what happens at the appointment. I think I even watched a YouTube video from a random hospital on it as I like to know what to expect. Although thats not for everyone.

I’m happy to answer more question in the run up if you choose to go ahead or about the experience.

Thank you so much for all your help! Unfortunately I now have to wait another 3 months as I got a letter through on Friday morning telling me that my appointment has been moved to the 30th of June! I am gutted as I spent so long stressing over it to now have to wait even longer, but I thought I would update people on here too!

When I do finally get to have it done I will update people on how it went! At least I didn't back out so that's something!

Thank you so much for all your help! Unfortunately I now have to wait another 3 months as I got a letter through on Friday morning telling me that my appointment has been moved to the 30th of June! I am gutted as I spent so long stressing over it to now have to wait even longer, but I thought I would update people on here too!

When I do finally get to have it done I will update people on how it went! At least I didn't back out so that's something!

Thats okay. Happy to help with any other questions. Oh no that must be so annoying. As as you say it’s more time to worry about it and having spent time worrying only for it to be moved. But I suppose in the current climate quite common unfortunately, I know my dentist appointment and orthodontics has been postponed, just when I felt ready to do it.

Oh and well done, as you say major congratulations on not baking out! Knew you could do it!

Back