• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth removal needed, nervous - not been to a dentist in a while - Advice please? (UK)

J

JayBay

Wisdom tooth removal needed, nervous - not been to a dentist in a while - Advice please? (UK)

Hi guys,
I have bad experience of dentists, when i was a kid i was man handled by 7 people to get gassed out. In my late teens i went to the dentist as a last resort 3 times, both times i was sedated and had numerous teeth removed with no pain afterwards.

Now im 30, i have 3 badly decayed teeth to the point where there is no crown and 2 of them are wisdom teeth.

Im worried to death about 1 of those wisdom teeth on my bottom jaw. I have had a infection for about 1 year, although it has not given me any pain yet. Recently the teeth decayed so much that inside the tooth i couldnt feel the bottom with my tongue, eventually i could stick my tongue into the hole in the tooth and push into the tooth causing suction, which would throw saliva out of the side of my gum. The side of my gum would often give a bubble shaped bump then pop and disappear until next time.

Recently what i can only describe as GUM has come through the tooth and its sitting in the middle of my tooth! where the crown should be. So you can imagine...gum around the tooth badly decayed tooth (with no crown or centre part) and gum in the middle of this tooth. I can only presume the root and the tooth has seperated causing gum to come through the centre of the tooth?.

So yes i need to see a dentist soon as possible, prices here in the UK are expensive and i cannot get it free as im working.

Im tempted to try a local anesthetic for the first time in my life, do you think i could do this for the wisdom tooth removal? I just want to damn thing out now. Do they numb your gum with some solution before inserting a injection? because my gums hurt easily, i mean if i put my finger nail on the gum it hurts like anything, very sensitive.

Is there any way i can get sedated and stay in maybe hospital over night? if not i will try a LA but i need to know the whole process before i go. I really NEED TO KNOW exactly what happens so i am not shocked while there then back out.

Re: Wisdom tooth removal needed, nervous - not been to a dentist in a while - Advice please? (UK)

Hello JayBay,
I've posted on here before that I just recently had a very decayed wisdon tooth removed by just Novacaine.The wisdom tooth had fallen apart and filling was coming out everyday..My tooth wasn't as decayed as yours but I don't think that would matter since you are having it pulled and not restored. With just novacaine the dentist will take a swab and apply some numbing medicine on the injection site.(mine tasted like minty toothpaste).It really does work to numb!! Then the first shot will pinch alittle but after the first shot you will not feel the rest of the shots..(I didn't) The dentist will wait till your tongue, lip and side of your face is numb and tingling. My dentist then told me he was going to push the gums down all around my tooth..This was totally PAINLESS.. Then when he had finished then he gently pushed my tooth back and forth(Didn't hurt) and then pulled the pieces out..(also painfree) There will be small noises which if you listen to headphones you will not hear..(I brought my mp3 player but they offered me their headphones) Alot of people get wisdom teeth without I.V. sedation...But several dentist offer I.V. sedation or oral sedation....Mine does I.V. sedation in his dental office..

Re: Wisdom tooth removal needed, nervous - not been to a dentist in a while - Advice please? (UK)

Thanks for the info,

Im in the UK so not sure if they do this novocaine like you suggested.

I will have to pluck the courage to book an appointment to find out more.

The side of my face is slightly swollen right now. Damn im so nervous!

I'm not sure how they do dental work in the U.K but maybe the first appoinment you make will be an assesment, like xrays, etc..And that is when the dentist can explain what is needed, how it is done, etc.and you can ask him the questions you have..I know that the unknown and waiting is terrible..Hang in there and Good luck...:clover:

Well, i finally went to the dentist.

He looked in my mouth for 3 seconds and had a QUICK look. Said i probably need 3 teeth out and 1 filling. But wasn't very informative.

I decided to be sedated and said im off work for 2 weeks, the dentist advised i should get it all done in 1 go from which i replied i rather get the wisdom tooth out and a filling first then later come back to take the last 2 out. I then went for a xray.

Waited a bit then was told by some nurse they will book 2 appointments and see which ones available for the dentist who sedates (she wasnt in at the time). I was then charged a whooping £90 ($142)

Now i receive a email saying i will see this dentist for a check up and have 2 appointments booked to be sedated approx 6 days apart.

I was not told this at the dentist and im really annoyed and let down. I want to go for 1 appointment for 1 removal and filling and come back at a later date...maybe in 1 months time to complete the rest.

So the first appointment will cost me £550 ($869) then just 6 days later i have to pay even more than that.

The dentist also refused to do any bridge work until i get the above work done...is this normal? its a private dentist so i thought i could get what ever done i like as im the one paying for it.

Am i unreasonable here? why did they book 2 appointments within 6 days. Tempted to not turn up now and go elsewhere.

So yes i need to see a dentist soon as possible, prices here in the UK are expensive and i cannot get it free as im working.

Hi JayBay

I think there is some confusion. Working does not prevent you getting NHS dental treatment. There are price bands for NHS treatments if you are not fee-exempt but they are much lower than the costs you have been quoted by the private dentist.

Since you are paying the private dentist, yes within reason they should be working to your preferred schedule.There could be technical reasons for needing the extractions done before the bridge work.

You probably do not need i/v sedation for a couple of extractions and a filling. That is probably putting up the private costs considerably. Personally if you are paying for sedation, it would seem preferable to do everything in one sitting with you sedated so you only pay one sedation fee. It sounds like the teeth are very broken down and so are probably not that difficult to remove.
You will be numbed with local anaesthetic and should not feel any pain. It can be topped up if necessary.

NB I am not saying you should use NHS just pointing out that you can if you choose to do so. I choose to use a private dentist so I can get continuity of care from a dentist I trust.

Hi JayBay, it sounds as if there were some major communication problems with the dentist and/or the dental practice.

Was there a particular reason as to why you chose this particular practice (e.g. was it recommended to you by someone, or was it the availability of sedation?). Were they aware of the fact that you are scared?

I agree with you that your experience sounds rather unsatisfactory and going on what you have said here, I would be inclined to look elsewhere. It's really important that the dentist who have in mind knows about your fears. A lot of people here have found that making contact via e-mail beforehand, explaining their fears and asking if and HOW the dentist in question might be able to help them, is really useful in weeding out the wheat from the chaff.

Can't really comment on the bridge issue, obviously this is a clinical judgment call which can't be made over the internet (even by our dentists here). Bridges have gone out of favour a bit though, especially if the adjacent teeth are healthy (as it usually involves crowning them, too).
Fair play to you for going to the appointment though - that must have taken a lot of guts :thumbsup:!!

THanks for the replies,
I dont mind about the bridge i have a partial denture.

The reason i chose this dentist was because i went there to get a partial denture 1 year ago and i told the guy i was scared to go to the dentist for 10 year. He then managed to get the dentist onsite to have a chat with me which he did and sounded nice...On top of that his dental room did not smell of a dentist AT ALL. So it was relaxing and felt nice.

That is the reason i chose them. I dont really want to use the NHS service as my local ones are a bit dodgey. To be honest i felt rushed with my appointment with the dentist.

I have an appointment 2 days before my sedation with the dentist who takes care of the sedation side of things and in this appointment i will tell her what i want done. I need bottom right wisdom tooth removed and a bottom first molar filled.

On my second trip which i will try and re arrange for another time next month i will get the top first molar pulled and top right wisdom removed.

i really dont fancy getting it all done at 1 time under sedation, i know it will cost more to get sedated again but i thought i could stretch it out over a month to get sorted. i dont know what they were thinking to book 2 appointments 6 days again costing me double money. crazy.

It sounds as if your last appointment was a bit rushed but hopefully there'll be time to address all your concerns when you meet up with the dentist who does the sedation :) (I'm still a bit confused as to whether this will be the treating dentist? or is this somebody else who only administers the sedation). Best of luck :clover::clover::clover: and let us know how you get on!

It sounds like they are telling you what they are going to do, instead of advising you and coming to an arrangement that suits how you feel and your pocket.

You need a dentist that will listen to you and move at a pace that suits you. You can go out of your area to see a dentist, I would feel very uneasy at the way you have been treated. Whether private of NHS you can get much better than you have.

Just because a dentist is private doesn't always make them the best. You have to decide how you feel when you have talked to the dentist again, but stick to your guns and make sure you are happy with the treatment and how and when it is given. You have to cope with the healing and procedure not them, so make sure you don't feel forced into accepting things all on their terms.

I would look else where if you are worried, or insist that they do the procedures as you feel able to cope and can afford.

I wish you Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on.