• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Won't freeze..Terrified..Need tooth out..ASAP

T

Tangent

So several years ago I went to a dentist and I wouldn't freeze fully. I kept jumping as he drilled away at my tooth. He proceeded to scold me like a child and told me it was all in my head! Well fast forward I still have this issue and have had a very good dentist I trusted. I have since moved to another dentist as the one I had was not available when we needed him.

This new one is aware of my anxiety and my issues of not freezing well. He is very compassionate. It seems to only be an issue with my bottom teeth. Well surprise and lucky me I have a crowned tooth that needs to be extracted as a cavity has grown to enormous proportions under the crown. I will need a bridge so they have recommended the extraction and two root canals. All on the bottom!!!! Kill me now:scared:

I do freeze but it wears off quick. I also don't feel pain when I am frozen as much as it is a sharp zing and major sensitivity when the drill hits, it is however very unpleasant. Well I have put off the extraction and am now at the end if I don't get it pulled it will break off and since it has not been root canal so the nerve is very much alive and sensing everything, its a disaster in the making. My dentist does not have the nitrous oxide. I was referred to a surgeon for extraction under sedation but to be truthful that scares me more than feeling pain. I hate being put under and it seems so silly for what few minutes it takes. So the three times they called I never phoned back :(

I have to have another tooth fixed on Monday and I am considering asking him to try and pull the tooth then.. A piece of the filling broke off tonight and now it is aching so I know its time wether I like it or not.

Any tips before I go in and ask for this. Should I run to a clinic and get something like Lorazipan or Ativan? Does it help, work ? How long does it last, what does it do. Do you act weird? Out of control? I just want to get this done and over with. My fear is the tooth breaking part during the extraction and needing a needle inside the tooth. I heard that is crazy painful...Any other tips that might help making the freezing more effective. I know anxiety plays a role..

Anyway scared out of my wits and in pain with some serious tooth ache.. Help me not be scared!! I cant believe I am almost forty and this terrified of something so silly..

Thanks for listening to my novel!! Nice to meet you all! For once don't feel alone.. My dentist is great, but it doesn't help me relax enough:cry:

Dana

Ativan should help (it's the same as lorazepam). The freezing might not work because your heart rate might be too high and it's probably making the anesthetic wear off too quickly. I've taken Ativan for appointments and it doesn't make you crazy or out of control at all. It makes you calm and kind of sleepy. Depending on the dose you take, you might need someone to drive you there and back. What might work best for the issue with the anesthesia not working might be a beta blocker. Beta blockers keep your heart from racing.

I can't really help with the pain side of things, but don't think that the anxiety is silly! It's not uncommon at all- take this website for example! There are some good videos on YouTube for dental anxieties too!
keep us posted, we are here to help!
good luck, you'll be pleased when you've done it x:clover::XXLhug::XXLhug:

You need to work out the cause in your case:

This problem is a totally logical reason for disliking dental treatment. It sounds like you are saying you never feel fully numb from your description...when you are properly numb there is no pain whatsoever..it is not in the least unpleasant. You may need a dentist with better injection techniques - you may have nerves in slightly unusual positions.

Well by Monday afternoon I was in so much pain I couldnt wait to get to my apt. I took some lorazapam before hand and it help me relax. The pain was so intense when I got there I was begging for freezing to take the edge off. Good news is I handled both extractions well and it wasnt nearly as scary as I thought it would be. The recovery pain is minor compared to how sore the tooth ached when I went in!! Its done and its over. Thank goodness. Lorazapam is my new friend for magor dental work!! Next step is getting my bridge put in so I can get my chewing surface back!! Cant wait!!

Thanks to those who offered support!! I feel so good its over:jump:

Back