• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried about next seeing Dentist after last visit.

M

macc2012

A couple of weeks ago i went to my Dentist and had some fillings done but also had a panic attack while in the chair so the dentist had to stop and let me calm down.

I suffer from epilepsy which the dentist knows about but at that visit i though i was going to have a fit but did not and had the panic attack.

i have to go back at the end of this week and the dentist asked me to bring my wife with me to make me feel better but i am so scared about going back as after having the panic attack i do not want that to happen again and while the dentist was working on my teeth i could still feel pain and i told him and he gave me another jab but as i say i can not go through all that again even with my wife being with me.

i have had to have a tooth out in hospital before because of my fears of dentists before so do they still do dental treatment in hospital for people like me who has a fear of dentists and having epilepsy so that i am not with it while they do the work cause at the moment i feel like just cancelling the rest of my next few visits as got a few booked in as i can not do that all again.

any advice please.

@macc@macc2012 They do dental treatment in hospitals but it is very costly. Perhaps if you keep going your body will get used to it and you won’t get so stressed. If you skip your treatments now, you may be looking at more serious issues with your teeth down the road. Perhaps your dentist could give you a mild such as laughing gas. Good. Luck.

i have had to have a tooth out in hospital before because of my fears of dentists before so do they still do dental treatment in hospital for people like me who has a fear of dentists and having epilepsy

In many areas of the UK, your dentist or GP can refer you to the community dental service, so check with them if this is possible (and Google for where you live and the words community dental service). In some areas, there may be long waiting times though. But it’s definitely worth asking!

(I think Ginny Bear’s answer re hospitals refers to the situation in the US, which is different from the UK)

You could also ask your GP for a referral to psychological services for help with the panic attacks :)

I don’t have any advice, but I send encouragement.

Good luck, and please do keep us posted.

Back